• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I start people out just simply shooting. Showing them grip only and have them fire rounds to get used to the recoil. That's it. They need to get used to and know what the pistol is going to do so they don't have to worry about it while trying to do the other things like trigger control and aiming.

Load them 1 round at a time. You don't want someone getting scared and firing a number of rounds anywhere they point their hands.
    After some of that practice, when they get to actually aiming in and shooting, I stand next to them and actual say to them "front sight front sight smooth trigger smooth trigger" slowly over and over again until the gun goes off. Calling audibles work. To this day I even say it to myself. It works.

And do not tell them the gun firing should surprise you. WRONG. Anyone firing a weapon better know when that thing is going to go off. That's called being in control.
    Always always always stand close/next to them and do not be afraid to grab their arm/hands, etc... if they decide to go on a tangent.

I could keep going, but don't feel like it. :)

Good luck.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Great advice.

I also don't teach the "surprise" thing either, but can't find a good word to replace it with. I explain not to anticipate, etc. but wish I could find replacement. I have pulled the trigger for students as they hold the pistol so they feel just the grip and recoil. As said, feeling what it's like to shoot should be a big goal for a new person, and even some experienced shooters who may not shoot often.

If you need/want a gun to fire you had better not be surprised by it, instead you need to know when it's going to fire but don't need to help it fire.

TD

I start people out just simply shooting. Showing them grip only and have them fire rounds to get used to the recoil. That's it. They need to get used to and know what the pistol is going to do so they don't have to worry about it while trying to do the other things like trigger control and aiming.

Load them 1 round at a time. You don't want someone getting scared and firing a number of rounds anywhere they point their hands.
    After some of that practice, when they get to actually aiming in and shooting, I stand next to them and actual say to them "front sight front sight smooth trigger smooth trigger" slowly over and over again until the gun goes off. Calling audibles work. To this day I even say it to myself. It works.

And do not tell them the gun firing should surprise you. WRONG. Anyone firing a weapon better know when that thing is going to go off. That's called being in control.
    Always always always stand close/next to them and do not be afraid to grab their arm/hands, etc... if they decide to go on a tangent.

I could keep going, but don't feel like it. :)

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom