• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    I have been searching and talking to shops and people and get mixed answers. I have a bunch of lowers that I got pre Oct 1. I want to get them built and was thinking of getting a pistol upper (5.56 chambered) and wanted to use the Sig SB15 brace, thus building an assault pistol NOT a SBR. This is still legal to do correct? Any upper that has a barrel shorter than overal 16" can be either a Assault Pistol with a pistol buffer tube and/or the Sig SB15 brace OR if you put a stock it becomes a SBR correct? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    whom do you plan on assaulting with your pistol?

probably not a good idea to discuss such intentions publicly.

i'll maintain my hope that your use of the term "assault pistol" is due to ignorance, and not intent.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That is not building an assault pistol, you are building a regular handgun albeit rifle calibered.

Assault pistols are specifically named by MD law.

If you attach a vertical foregrip onto said pistol, it will become an AOW, which is considered a NFA device such as a SBR.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if someone told you jumping off the bay bridge was a good idea, would you accept it as fact?

not bein a dick, just trying to educate. if your feelers get hurt, grab your purse and find a kleenex and i'll move along. :)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    No thats what I was told they were called. I just called them 5.56 pistols.

Whomever informed you, is ill-informed.

You can build AR15 pistols to your hearts content. The caveat which you already know: Attaching a Stock or a "vertical" foregrip will require NFA approval.

Note: angled fore-grips do not make the handgun as NFA device.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    I've never heard of a pistol assaulting someone.

In order to build a AR Pistol, you need to have a lower that was registered as Type "O", for other. It must also have a pistol buffer, and no vertical forward grip.

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    ^Thanks. No I was not talking to the media. Would the Magpul AFG be acceptable? I know from what I researched that it was fine on AR15 Pistols but like you mentioned a 'vertical' foregrip is not.

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    Its better for me than the pistol tube. Plus some of the cost of the purchase goes to disabled vets.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Its better for me than the pistol tube. Plus some of the cost of the purchase goes to disabled vets.

Not sure what you mean here in terms of better than a pistol tube.

You still need to use a pistol tube, you can not use a rifle buffer tube.

The concept is that you can not have the ability to easily put a stock on and off. So you can not use a standard 6 position buffer tube. You must use a pistol tube that does not allow a stock to have the ability to be attached.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    You can use a regular old carbine buffer tube to make an AR pistol. You dont have to use a pistol specific buffer tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom