• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can use a regular old carbine buffer tube to make an AR pistol. You dont have to use a pistol specific buffer tube.
    Yes, but if you can easily slide a stock onto it and you have one in your possession, even on another weapon, it could be considered 'constructive intent', so if you use a std buffer tube, do something to make it hard to slide a stock on and create an SBR in seconds...

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Here is a fun read.
    http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
    From another board post that sums it up nicely.
    "Two things:
    1. There is no such thing as constructive intent. The legal principle is constructive possession. This principle states that if you have parts to construct something illegal and no legal way to assemble all of the parts, you are considered in possession of that illegal item. Intent does not factor into it.

2. If you have the parts to make an SBR or pistol, you COULD still be charged with being in possession of an unregistered SBR. You would need the parts to construct a pistol OR rifle to be safe. Here are two examples:
    A. You have a AR pistol and a buttstock for an AR. You COULD be charged with possession of an unregistered SBR under the constructive possession principle because there is no legal way to assemble anything with the buttstock other than an SBR.

B. You have an AR pistol, an AR buttstock and a 16" upper receiver assembly. You could NOT be charged with possession of unregistered SBR because there is a legal way to construct your gun either as a pistol OR a rifle. Under the ATF's old opinion, once you assembled the AR into a rifle, you couldn't go back to a pistol as it would now be considered an SBR. "

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    Thats why I want to get the Pistol buffer tube that DOESN'T allow any stocks to be put on, just planned on getting the SIG SB15 arm brace to put on that. All my other rifles would be already complete, and maybe one lower not fully built yet.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Here is a fun read.
    http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf
    From another board post that sums it up nicely.
    "Two things:
    1. There is no such thing as constructive intent. The legal principle is constructive possession. This principle states that if you have parts to construct something illegal and no legal way to assemble all of the parts, you are considered in possession of that illegal item. Intent does not factor into it.

2. If you have the parts to make an SBR or pistol, you COULD still be charged with being in possession of an unregistered SBR. You would need the parts to construct a pistol OR rifle to be safe. Here are two examples:
    A. You have a AR pistol and a buttstock for an AR. You COULD be charged with possession of an unregistered SBR under the constructive possession principle because there is no legal way to assemble anything with the buttstock other than an SBR.

B. You have an AR pistol, an AR buttstock and a 16" upper receiver assembly. You could NOT be charged with possession of unregistered SBR because there is a legal way to construct your gun either as a pistol OR a rifle. Under the ATF's old opinion, once you assembled the AR into a rifle, you couldn't go back to a pistol as it would now be considered an SBR. "
    You are absolutely right and I misspoke when I said intent, not possession.... note, IANAL... LOL

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thats why I want to get the Pistol buffer tube that DOESN'T allow any stocks to be put on, just planned on getting the SIG SB15 arm brace to put on that. All my other rifles would be already complete, and maybe one lower not fully built yet.
    I think the Sig Brace offers an nice alternative for the AR pistol, though personally I don't use 'sights' or optics on one usually, just a laser, so cheeking, sighting down the firearm, etc.. does not really play into my use. I can just 'shoot from the hip' with good accuracy for it's intended uses. ;)

That said, I did mount and play with a RDS on my 300blk pistol and it works pretty well just cheeking the buffer tube... :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom