• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrussell

Jan 5, 2013
    Cockeysville, MD
    Has anyone been to the Great American Outdoor Show being held in PA.?
    Was it worth the trip? Good & bad?
    Thanks

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Going on Friday. This show is always worth the trip. Just do not expect a gun show. Although with the NRA taking it over this year, I expect to see more gun manufacturers represented this year.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I went yesterday...ALL day. It was a great outdoors show. Got some mags, beef stick and a cool hat.

The shooting sports hall was fine but no only a few actual gun sellers. Precision was there with all new cabinets. Smaller than normal space because of the high cost. Quite a few uppers on display and some complete guns. They were selling crap-loads of PMAGS. There was and argo dealer and simlilar off road vehicle vendors too.

Atlantic Tactical, a local shop had a nice set up and a few long guns on display. Has some good deals on Israeli steel Ar mags and some show specials on other stuff. Their store is about 7 mile away and was open same hours as the show so we stopped by to check them out on the way home to MD. They are a primarily LEO type supply with lots of LEO guns and tac supply. They had a large pile of M-22 1000 rd boxes @ $65 ea. I got one as its hard to find in hand.

Trop Guns was there. Very cool display with deuce and a half truck. Have ammo but prices not great.

Large displays and hands on with Remington, Winchester Savage, Taurus, Beretta, Panther Arms, Magpul, Black Rain, Bushmaster, ets. Some nice knife sellers scattered throughout the complex not just in shooting sports hall. Amazing taxidermy displays in Outfitters hall. That was simply a gotta see.

It was a great day but it is NOT a gun show... Shooting sports, Boats, RV, camping, fishing, outfitters of all sorts, log cabins, archery/bow stuff had its own large hall, lots of misc stuff, family activities they claim but I didnt check out.

One hall sounded like turkey and goose hell with every other vendor selling game calls and demonstrating their ware endlessly. The knife guy in that hall looked like he wanted to slit a few throats and that was only at 1030 am. Went back at 3 and he looked a bit glassy eyed.

It was worth it for me to go. I enjoyed it.

Grumbler

Jan 27, 2013
    I was also up there yesterday. Chriss has given a great description of the show. It's very large, it will take you half a day just to walk around it and that's without spending much time at any stands (so get there early and plan on leaving late). It's a great opportunity to speak to the company reps and have them talk through the advantages of their products. The is a huge range of different outdoors stuff for sale beyond just the guns and optics displays, boats and trucks, outfitters for hunting & charters for fishing all around the world, magnificent taxidermy displays, a pavilion dedicated to archery, plenty of stands, calls and clothing and even the opportunity to buy a fox fur hat. It's an awesome (in the true meaning of the word) day out.

But as Chriss said, don't go there hoping to have a range of guns to buy.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Was there today and can't say much more than has already been said. The shooting hall was very cool, I'm a smith and Wesson guy so was happy to see them there. Was very cool to be able to mess with all the stuff from the colt, S&W, bushmaster, dmps, remington, etc. Some really nice optics from trijicon as well. I was also impressed with the Taurus stuff.

The archery hall was huge, I found a nice mission by Matthews at Lancaster archery I am seriously considering as well as a recurve. Ahhhh, money.........

All the other halls are also huge, some amazing taxidermy displays. I was surprised how subtle the NRA presence was. A few booths but not at all overbearing.

Funny thing happened, I was trying to find a holster for my new M&P and the guy next to me said "not sure if this will fit mine" to the sales guy. He then took his Glock out of his holster, unloaded it, and checked it to fit. No one even skipped a beat, he reholstered and moved on. If that would have happened in md.......

I did get to see Jessie Duff and Tiffany(can't remember last name but she is on an outdoor channel bow hunting show with her husband) at the show. I have had the priveledge to meet a few "famous" people, and these two women are more attractive in person than any tv show can show, stunningly attractive.

Overall a good time. Got to shot on a simulator with a Glock set up with a CO2 cartridge. Just reminded me that I hate Glocks but I did ok, but my wife kicked arse ;). She pretty cute too, and no I will not post pics.

TD

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    My buddy and me took our boys on sat. I thought it was pretty awesome. Lots of hands on with different manufactures. The archery hall was pretty awesome but they all had the same stuff. There were some different holster dealers selling. it was cool to try out some different types and I came home with one for the wifes Taurus. The kids loved it cause there was so much to look at. Talked to the guy at Precision, Might take him a striped upper for him to put together for me at the show. All in all I enjoyed myself very much.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you go early on the weekend, its best not to buy pre paid ticket, the huge line of people who needed to buy tickets before the doors opened got through faster than pre paid tickets.

Show is alright, we were talking afterwards about being spoiled by the internet,I could go or not go, its fun spending time with friends there but everything I looked at has the same effect on me as I look at on a computer screen.

I had the most interest in all the powersport manufacturers there, all the new Atvs and side by sides were cool to gawk at in person.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I FORGOT ONE THING!

Wayne LaPierre was walking through the crowd by himself in the shooting hall. He walked by me and I turned to my friend and said "wasn't that Wayne LaPierre"? He looked and said "yup"

Very low key. Looked just like another rumpled patron until someone recognized him and several folk wanted to get pictures with him. He was very gracious and accommodating. Out of nowhere ( I didnt see them until they pulled out tape recorders and note pads) some print/radio press showed up and started asking some questions. Seemed like it all went well.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    $12.00 admission plus $8.00 for parking. Take the girlfriend and your up to $32.00 just to get in the door, not counting your gas money. They advertize free parking with a shuttle at the Harisburg Mall.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Went there yesterday, arrived when the doors opened. What a great show, just too much to see in one day, would love to go back this weekend.

Picked up a shoulder holster for hunting with G21 and great tree seat for hunting: www.sitdrag.com

One guy making custom knife & holsters was a really interesting process.

Believe me there are MANY. MANY great displays.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    Went yesterday.... It's "ok". Definitely tons of people there and navigating through the place was horrific. As far as vendors went for the shooting/gun hall... I wasn't very impressed. There were a couple of vendors and shops there selling plenty of 30 round Pmags, at good prices (11-12 dollars), but thats about it. Wasn't impressed, and not really worth going from a shooters aspect unless you wanted to hold a few of the new guns such as the new remington compact and other popular brand name models.

Obviously a hunting show, so keeping that in mind, I did have fun watching the hunting dogs do an exhibition and eating tasty deer jerky...LOL.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Gonna try to head up on Sunday. Friend of mine is looking to get a bow and it was her birthday last week so..........

I might see if I can pick up a recurve.
    TD

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    There is a whole hall for archery, it's a little smaller than the other halls but your friend can find something there I'm sure.

All I can say is be an educated consumer.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    An 90 minutes to go 2 miles. If you see a Boy Scout lot on Cameron St. park there and walk. Total grid lock at the left turn on Cameron. Cops and their 'command vehicle" were a block away telling people that lot was full. The next lot was ice covered and some cars got stuck on the way in.

Having survived that, it was a bigger show than Safari Club. Some AR-15 stuff for sale, sights, mags. Gun safes, lots of accessories at discounts. Fantastic taxidermy. I am glad I went but will not go again.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    There is a parking lot up the hill on Elmerton Avenue that you have to pay, but busses shuttle back and forth.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    PapiBarcelona There is a whole hall for archery, it's a little smaller than the other halls but your friend can find something there I'm sure.

All I can say is be an educated consumer.

I have been doing some research. Not really any better prices at the show (I went last weekend) but they def have a lot to try out. They had a Hoyt intro level I think my friend will like, I really want a compound but will prob just get a recurve to start with, samick sage looked good.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom