• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    LOL. I truly enjoy both weapons. I have a buddy who was heavy into C&R back when I just got out of college. I should have heeded his advice back then and spent the $30 for the license, but dragged my feet for another decade. That was back when Mosins were $50 a pop and 98k and Enfield rifles were still cheap. It was post Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers had just finished airing the original run-through so M1's and carbines were starting to jump up in price a bit. He and I would go shooting together and he would bring out the Garand and carbine every once in a while so long as I grabbed ammo. The pawn shop the next county over sold bandoleers of surplus .30-06 in the clips with the cardboard sleeves still stuffed in the bandoleers they were packed in. The carbine is definitely much easier to put a lot of rounds down-range with , but the Garand has never been a shoulder-puncher in my experience. The one thing the Garand has above all though is the "ping" at the end. Nothing else comes close, not even Manlicher or Berthier en-blocs dropping out the bottom of their magazines on the last round stripped.

That ping is the sound of freedom. It’s like a bald eagle screaming in your face.

That ping might as well be a Garand screaming “F yeah! Murica and freedom!”

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have said before:

There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have said before:

There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

I've had a similar experience with my FAL. Well, except the beautiful women part. I guess the Garand has better looks. :D

FAL definitely gets the heads turning at the range. It's either the "WTF is that?" from those who don't know, or the 7.62 NATO boom and fireball that flings brass harder and farther than any AR10 ever would, but they all look when it starts popping off.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've had a similar experience with my FAL. Well, except the beautiful women part. I guess the Garand has better looks. :D

FAL definitely gets the heads turning at the range. It's either the "WTF is that?" from those who don't know, or the 7.62 NATO boom and fireball that flings brass harder and farther than any AR10 ever would, but they all look when it starts popping off.

Sounds like my M57. People duck, run and cower when I open up with that one. At least if they are within 50ft of my 3-5 o’clock position.

You WEAR eye pro around that sucker or you rue the day.

ShockAndAwe

Mar 21, 2017
    Harford
    So, I've never purchased through the CMP before, but finally decided to grab a Garand from them. I know they're closed until at least May 5th, but am mailing in my order and documents Monday to get "in line."

My question is this. I'm going service grade which shows as being available, but there's no "ships in x weeks" next to it like the field grade examples. Does that mean it ships out quickly, or that I have a much longer wait? Just curious.

I purchased a service grade in December. I don’t remember the exact date I mailed the paper work, but I received an email from them on the 17th advising that my order had been received. Shipment email on the 18th and got my rifle on the 20th! Talk about turn around time. Absolutely beautiful rifle. Came with a new production CMP-marked stock.

Attachments

• 4BB52840-1224-4CF8-B2AC-261D4EA90102.jpg
      4BB52840-1224-4CF8-B2AC-261D4EA90102.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 371

ShockAndAwe

Mar 21, 2017
    Harford

Do you have a 11” FAL? I have one with the M-Lok handguard. I can second that; definitely a head turner! Sounds like a cannon compared to everything else at the range!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Do you have a 11” FAL? I have one with the M-Lok handguard. I can second that; definitely a head turner! Sounds like a cannon compared to everything else at the range!

No, it's a full-size FMAP Rosario Mk IV. Last of the true FN License FALs. Still effing loud and throws brass hard enough to smack the bench dividers nice and loud.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The day finally came. Springfield Armory with a SN that puts it on the November 1942 production run.

OG stock is chipped at the heel, but nothing awful. Otherwise it's in great shape.

More photos to come later.

Attachments

• 20200730_174305.jpg
      20200730_174305.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 292

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Fantastic! I have an April 1943 Winchester. Easily my most prized gun. Had a great uncle fight in Italy in a fall 1943 offensive, stepped on a landmine and blew off his leg.

It's incredible knowing that he could have possibly carried this rifle. I just reloaded 100 rounds of 30-06 to go shoot soon.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am teaching a hip replacement course in Ohio in August and decided to add a detour and swing by the CMP North store (I made the required reservations for a time slot). Being a complete noob to the M1, and excited to finally add one to my collection (maybe more than one - may get a couple more to pass down to my kids), any advice besides trying not to spend my kids’ college funds while there?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I am teaching a hip replacement course in Ohio in August and decided to add a detour and swing by the CMP North store (I made the required reservations for a time slot). Being a complete noob to the M1, and excited to finally add one to my collection (maybe more than one - may get a couple more to pass down to my kids), any advice besides trying not to spend my kids’ college funds while there?
    Well, as a dual hip replacement recipient that can now shoot sitting cross legged again (LOL), I highly recommend the M1 (I have many.)

Ask them questions, they will take it apart and go through it with you at the counter and gauge anything you want.

Good barrel, good tight stock fit are important for accuracy. GI wood nice but not always possible these days. You might have to settle for new wood.

Avoid rack grade, get service grade or better if they have it.

And thanks for what you do. I'm soon to be a "home run". Not ideal, but it is what it is and they work great.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have said before:

I do usually get someone at the range that will walk up to me and ask if it's a CMP Garand and want to know all about it.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

Guys at the "Store" are a great help an can help pick a winner. Now, after you do your paperwork or send it in before hand, you can buy 8 a year.:innocent0

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This one is a Service Grade and it was luck of the draw between Springfield and H&R. I'd have liked the H&R, but I'm happy with what I got.

They were offering those of us in queue due to the earlier COVID shutdown a chance to "upgrade" to an IHC that would jump delivery time up by at least a week or two, but I couldn't justify spending the extra $100 or so for it. Everyone seems to think that they were IHCs destined for the store floors, but they knew they needed to kick the backlog quickly because the orders never stopped rolling in.

Feeling under the weather today, but I'll take some close-ups of everything tomorrow when I feel better.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I have said before:

“No brag. Just fact”

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You can order the M1 Online but sometimes the stores have things that there are to few of to offer on line like Springfield 03's, Enfields, carbines, etc. And don't forget some ammo.

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    Going into one of the stores is absolutely awesome... picking one out is time consuming with so many to choose from.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    If you go to one of the stores do you still have to be qualified with the same requirements as when you order online?

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    They are shipping super quick now too! They only recently stated they were accepting applications for Service grade rifles and I got notification that mine was shipped today!!! Probably about 5 weeks total between sending the application and receiving a shipping notification!!! I’m excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom