• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I saw this article about the Marine infantry beginning to be issued suppressors. From the article:

"Infantry weapons create an incredible amount of noise on the battlefield, but adding suppressors helps muffle their "audible and visual signature, making it more difficult for the enemy to ascertain their location," Chief Warrant Officer 4 David Tomlinson, MCSC's infantry weapons officer, said in the release."

Anyone want to bet on whether or not this becomes another reason why people will want them banned?

https://www.military.com/daily-news...ing-30000-rifle-suppressors-combat-units.html

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Just another piece of equipment that needs to be maintained. They took away the black boots, which required constant attention, now everyone is going to spend a week cleaning the silencer before they turn in their weapon to the armory. I call it justice!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I don't own a suppressor but I read about people complaining about cleaning them.
    How many rounds can you put through one before there's an issue?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Just another piece of equipment that needs to be maintained. They took away the black boots, which required constant attention, now everyone is going to spend a week cleaning the silencer before they turn in their weapon to the armory. I call it justice!

20 years overdue in my opinion. There were absolutely situations where we needed suppressors on night patrols and had to effectively write off a dozen or so after somebody getting attacked by wild dogs and firing a shot. Also a few situations of engaging across canals in vegetation or from inside of buildings where they would have been really helpful, not to mention setting up night ambushes on known high-IED areas.

And you really can't compare a functional tool to a decorative uniform item. If you have to maintain a tool because it enhances your performance then so be it, if you have to polish boots so they're extra shiny and the enemy can see you better that's something completely different. I mean maybe they should get rid of those overly-complicated, delicate, light-sensitive NVGs as well.

1/2, one of my old units, did the first test run of mass-issue suppressors about 10 years ago and the results were very positive. From what I understand, they're going to be issued at the company level to be issued out as needed depending on the mission, so it won't be something that the average private is going to constantly have in his kit and maintaining and instead they'll be checked out depending on the mission.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I don't own a suppressor but I read about people complaining about cleaning them.
    How many rounds can you put through one before there's an issue?

****Like anything... It depends... There are sealed and unsealed suppressors that are more user serviceable than others...

On rimfire - suppressors need to be cleaned very often IME. Mebbe every 500 rounds or less depending upon ammo.. I think most people that write about having to clean often are folks using rimfire (.22lr, etc..) ammo which does not develop the same chamber and suppressor baffle pressure to basically push out most of the junk.

Pistols - it depends on what kind of ammo you shoot (lead ammo, and how hot the loads are..pressure is an issue with fouling IME). Some ammo is just dirty, but non jacketed ammo tends to build up more fouling in some suppressors that may require a more thorough cleaning..

Rifles - centerfire rifles might not need cleaning pretty much ever, depending upon the design of the suppressor. The high chamber pressures and subsequent velocity of gases going through the suppressor literally blasts out almost all fouling. There are sealed and non-sealed suppressors, but the nature of rifle cartridges and modern suppressor tech is such that if they DO get dirty enough to warrant cleaning - a pretty light solvent bath is all that is required unless it is something really exotic. Modern military ball type rifle ammo is not likely to make a well designed suppressor all that dirty - nothing more than easy solvent cleaning wise... Mostly, they are kind of self cleaning with modern ammo...

I would think the military would have done a bunch of testing on all of this and so have factored in maintenance and service life already. It would be interesting to see what will be used out in the field and see the difference between field and armorer serviced equipment with realtion to whatever suppressor tech they decide to use.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    20 years overdue in my opinion. There were absolutely situations where we needed suppressors on night patrols and had to effectively write off a dozen or so after somebody getting attacked by wild dogs and firing a shot. Also a few situations of engaging across canals in vegetation or from inside of buildings where they would have been really helpful, not to mention setting up night ambushes on known high-IED areas.

And you really can't compare a functional tool to a decorative uniform item. If you have to maintain a tool because it enhances your performance then so be it, if you have to polish boots so they're extra shiny and the enemy can see you better that's something completely different. I mean maybe they should get rid of those overly-complicated, delicate, light-sensitive NVGs as well.

1/2, one of my old units, did the first test run of mass-issue suppressors about 10 years ago and the results were very positive. From what I understand, they're going to be issued at the company level to be issued out as needed depending on the mission, so it won't be something that the average private is going to constantly have in his kit and maintaining and instead they'll be checked out depending on the mission.

New Corps vs. Old Corps.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I can imagine if they have to do some work in a town in buildings they would want them.
    I also imagine there may be push back cause of the added weight and length it adds?
    If they are using 556, it will make it sound more like a 22 but not "silent" or like the 300BLK I have suppressed that sounds like an airsoft and the noise is mostly from the bolt of the gun

I wonder if the lawsuits on the ear protection plugs is driving this?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thought the Corps was going with the Surefire SOCOMs, which are sealed and very hardy, but maybe not.
    Boss's son, a young Marine reservist was just telling me they were all getting new M27, but their designated MGs were the only ones being issued suppressors. He couldn't tell me just yet, what suppressors they were getting.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Not that I ever actually saw him..... My Gunner was pushing for this almost 15 years ago, not only for the reasons mentioned, but for better communication on the squad and fire team level.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Speaking of maintenance the Army may be relaxing hair standards because they are racist. Dreadlocks will be called "Locs", and african hair may not need to be kept in a tight bun. From what I read it seems US Army is heading towards USAF hair standards.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom