• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    the beltway sniper was apprehended because of a Deputy who investigated a suspicious vehicle.

To set the record straight, it was a trucker tip that led to the DC sniper's capture at the South Mountain Rest stop (exit 40?)

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    Okay I said I wasn't going to comment further on this thread...:sad20:

Just popped in to look for something else and noticed this is STILL dragging on. :eek:

In my own personal point of view, the point that needs to be taken away from this incident is that as a society we have deferred to "the police" far too much authority over our daily lives, even if you never encounter a police officer. I have nothing against police officers!!! They're doing a job, a necessary job!

What I'm against is some of the job they've been handed and some of the (argumentatively bogus) information they receive in training. Look, each and every one of us takes an oath of office. "To uphold the Constitution..." The Constitution, and specifically the bill of rights, it the supreme law of the land. Countless other laws have been passed contradicting the Constitution. Countless advice has been giving to officers regarding what they can / should do in particular situations and every year, many of those same officers are cited for violation of the Constitution for the act of following orders, directives, advise, etc. or simply misunderstanding what those orders are.

Someone please tell me who I hurt when I don't wear my seatbelt and get into an accident (BTW - this is rhetorical because I ALWAYS wear one)? Does my head hitting the windscreen hurt you? Do you pay for my burial? Oh, that's right MY injuries increase YOUR health care costs right? Isn't that the argument? So, what's next? Bacon? It's dangerous stuff, causes increased risk of heart attacks which drives up MY costs even if I don't eat it! How about condoms? You get VD or HIV it's gonna reflect on MY costs right? Where's the sex police? How about regulating which food I can grow and eat from my own backyard? Ooops! It's already illegal to drink milk from your own cow! (who knew that?) That unpasturized stuff might have something bad for you in it.:innocent0:cool:

Does YOU requiring OTHER PEOPLE to wear seat belts and motorcycle helmets, etc. sound sillier yet? Yeah, it has NOTHING to do with this particular incident - at least directly - but what I'm ranting about is personal freedom. Do we really need to pay cops $40/hr to keep us from hitting our own heads on the windshield? How is that society's problem?

Without these laws (seat belt & cell phone) there'd been no stop and Mr. Smartt would have passed through MD. in a few minutes time with no threat to the good people of WashCo and no criminal record hanging over his head. He may have been in an accident that he may have even been killed from due to his stupidity in talking on the phone and not wearing his seat belt but he still wouldn't have posed a (gun) threat to anyone.:cool:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Marylands draconian laws on seatbelts, headlights, cellphones, the overall Traffic Article? Give me a brake!!!!!! Show me which states don't have the same laws or don't have them coming. More people die in car wrecks then by homicide every year. Also when you get a license and regester your vehicle you enter into an agreement with the MVA and State of Maryland you will follow the laws that govern the roadways. Every traffic stop is an investigation, the beltway sniper was apprehended because of a Deputy who investigated a suspicious vehicle. Many fugitives are apprehended while operating motor vehicles. And finally THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS QUOTAS!!!! this guy got popped because he was in the state, committed a traffic violation, and like a retard had his gun in the glove box.

Pa - where the driver was from.

Partly wrong.

Maybe not by name but there is by practice.

Neither of which were infractions in his home state.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    .... and when entering Maryland, there are 'welcome' signs stating that seat belts are required and cell phone use must be hands free.
    This...I guess, unless your point means to also notate firearms too??

I understand but doesn't the privileges and immunities clause of the Constitution address this?

This...

:lol:

That clause has been dead for quite a while!

Sadly this...

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD

Attachments

• 73D9C7B6-FDB3-4F5C-939F-4B28AE2A0F27.jpeg
      73D9C7B6-FDB3-4F5C-939F-4B28AE2A0F27.jpeg
      51.5 KB · Views: 298

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads