• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Hey gang,

In the reloads I've done so far, I've used CCI #200, Large Rifle Primers.
    Would #250 Magnum Large Rifle Primers be safe to use?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hey gang,

In the reloads I've done so far, I've used CCI #200, Large Rifle Primers.
    Would #250 Magnum Large Rifle Primers be safe to use?

Depending on what you are using it in, Garands are picky enough with any difference in port pressure, and they are getting more expensive and harder to get. I personally stick to published data only for them. If it's in something else, especially a manual action, then would drop the load down and work it back up with the new primer. Magnums might increase pressures, might not, but usually see velocities a little higher with the faster rifle powders.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I've never used magnum primers, I stick to Winchester Large Rifle in my M1 loads. Never had an issue. Quick google search seems to indicate CCI 200s are fine for M1s but I've never tried it personally so I can't say

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    You should be fine. CCI 250's are more or less identical to CCI #34s (Military 7.62 primers), which many people use for slamfire protection. I would remove 1 grain of powder from your load then slowly work up. I find that I usually use .3-.5 gr less powder in a cartridge when switching to a CCI250 primer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You should be fine. CCI 250's are more or less identical to CCI #34s (Military 7.62 primers), which many people use for slamfire protection. I would remove 1 grain of powder from your load then slowly work up. I find that I usually use .3-.5 gr less powder in a cartridge when switching to a CCI250 primer.

That would be my suggestion. That said a magnum primer should not increase port pressure any measurable amount. It'll increase peak pressure, but that isn't really the concern here with an M1 Garand.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, very helpful. Thank you.

Primers are hard to come by and I think I've found some. This'll be my last batch of reloads for awhile as this will use up all my brass so I don't need a lot of supplies.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is refereed to very often.
    Do not infer that it is the same for other manufacturers

Attachments

• CCI-primer-energy-1280x854.jpg
      CCI-primer-energy-1280x854.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 190
    • calhoonprimers02.png
      calhoonprimers02.png
      7.4 KB · Views: 161

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I've never used magnum primers, I stick to Winchester Large Rifle in my M1 loads. Never had an issue. Quick google search seems to indicate CCI 200s are fine for M1s but I've never tried it personally so I can't say

Winchester large rifle primers are near magnum strength, as far as primers go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom