• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm just concerned about whether I need to trim the case. I also want to be sure about the minimum and max loads of RL-22.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Why would you need to trim the case for for this bullet? It has a better profile than a 117 RN. Although the Hornady #10 manual doesn’t list it, the start load for the 110 gr inter bond with RL-22 is 47.3 gr and a col of 3.135”. Max is showing 56.0 gr @ 3000 fps but you will need to work up to find max in your rifle.
    Since Hornady shows this bullet for 250 savage and not 25-06, I’d say it isn’t constructed to handle what the 06 can dish out on game. After all, it was made for lever guns. Should be fun as a plinker in hard times though

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Why would you need to trim the case for for this bullet? It has a better profile than a 117 RN. Although the Hornady #10 manual doesn’t list it, the start load for the 110 gr inter bond with RL-22 is 47.3 gr and a col of 3.135”. Max is showing 56.0 gr @ 3000 fps but you will need to work up to find max in your rifle.
    Since Hornady shows this bullet for 250 savage and not 25-06, I’d say it isn’t constructed to handle what the 06 can dish out on game. After all, it was made for lever guns. Should be fun as a plinker in hard times though

Seabee may well be on the right track. Hornady states that this bullet was designed to perform best at 2400 fps muzzle velocity. They reference .25-35 Winchester and .25-45 Sharps as intended applications. They also state that it can be used "to download" for .257 Roberts and .25-06.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2017/04/03/hornadys-new-ftx-257-caliber-bullet/

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    What's "to download" mean?

I just made up 10 rounds using the load for 2900 fps. I measured the brass I had fired and they were the same as the brass in my Hornady manual so I didn't think I needed to trim the brass.

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    What's "to download" mean?

I just made up 10 rounds using the load for 2900 fps. I measured the brass I had fired and they were the same as the brass in my Hornady manual so I didn't think I needed to trim the brass.

Download in terms of reloading usually means to use a powder charge which results in less power/velocity for a cartridge than the maximum or factory. In your case, the 25-06 cartridge can push projectiles well over 3000 FPS depending on the bullet weight. However, downloading 25.06 would be settling on a load that is less than max (perhaps around 2800-2900 FPS).

The projectile you chose really isn't designed for the velocity of 25-06. You might get jacket ripping off in the barrel (you'll see copper streaks in the grooves or on the rifling) or the projectile could shed it's jacket soon after leaving the barrel. I have seen this when pushing 125gr .308 cal speer TNT rounds in .30-06 near maximum powder charge. As is always the case, start low work up carefully and look for pressure issues.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Download in terms of reloading usually means to use a powder charge which results in less power/velocity for a cartridge than the maximum or factory. In your case, the 25-06 cartridge can push projectiles well over 3000 FPS depending on the bullet weight. However, downloading 25.06 would be settling on a load that is less than max (perhaps around 2800-2900 FPS).

The projectile you chose really isn't designed for the velocity of 25-06. You might get jacket ripping off in the barrel (you'll see copper streaks in the grooves or on the rifling) or the projectile could shed it's jacket soon after leaving the barrel. I have seen this when pushing 125gr .308 cal speer TNT rounds in .30-06 near maximum powder charge. As is always the case, start low work up carefully and look for pressure issues.

Gotcha!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found a box of Barnes TSX 100 grain bullets and a can of Magpro today so will also try those ASAP.

Will report.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

You need to trim the cases for some FTX bullets. Don't ask me how I know this...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom