• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    An older gentleman in my gun club used to say, "We don't need Sarah Brady, we're our own worst enemies."

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’m making the assumption that there are a hell of a lot more transactions required than an 80% lower and no one getting the vapors is talking about them. There are tons of things they could be doing but they’re not. Why? Because they know damned well gangs are not the problem they’re trying to solve. The problem for them is that a bunch of hillbillies have effective(ish) guns that didn’t go through the system they control.

There is only one other transaction needed to complete a P80 and that is the slide. Everything can be bought with cash, and if gangs are doing this in bulk, it's no big deal to have several guys buy several P80's and another several to buy the slide kits, all with cash, and not be traceable unless they lay yes on them either purchasing or walking out of a show with them (like was reported at Morgantown).

Your comment about the banks reporting transactions assumes credit cards and not cash, which a majority of P80's are purchased with at shows (at least in my experience), and the same with the slide kits.

You are correct in that they are trying to figure out how to put this genie back in the bottle and arrests at Morgantown are a first attempt.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    And how is buying 15 paperweights illegal? What can the prosecutor do about legal paperweights?

Sounds like the prosecutor doesn't have the guts to stand up for law-abiding people by burying criminals under the jail after conviction of something that is illegal.

Makes you wonder what the four people arrested at the Morgantown show were charged with? I know a felon is prohibited from possessing a firearm, are they also prohibited from owning firearm parts?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Makes you wonder what the four people arrested at the Morgantown show were charged with? I know a felon is prohibited from possessing a firearm, are they also prohibited from owning firearm parts?

They obtained warrants based on the suspects' criminal histories and their purchase of 80% kits, assuming (correctly as it turns out) they would find completed kits. The searches seem to have been carried out 3-5 days after the buys... so apparently it took them a little more than 5 minutes with a drill. :rolleyes:

This article describing the arrests was linked from the article posted earlier about the promoter banning the kits.

As a result of these investigations, agents seized five fully assembled ghost guns, four 80% receiver kits, one 80% receiver, one Smith and Wesson revolver, extended magazines and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
    https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/tak...-following-morgantown-gun-show-surveillances/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as soon as you drill the first hole and go beyond 80%, it is legally a firearm, so if you're a felon you're toast, even if the work isn't complete. Also, they had a good chance of finding ammo (and they did), which is also a no-no for a felon.

Like I said before, it sounds like the system worked... so what is the motivation for the ban other than preventing NON-criminals from buying them?

Last edited:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    And how is buying 15 paperweights illegal? What can the prosecutor do about legal paperweights?

Sounds like the prosecutor doesn't have the guts to stand up for law-abiding people by burying criminals under the jail after conviction of something that is illegal.

I would imagine constructive intent starts to apply when you are buying slides, barrels, holsters, ammo etc while being a felon.

I don't want the feds banning things or interpreting laws as they see fit. I want them to actually arrest and incarcerate violent felons so we don't even need to have this conversation. Unfortunately all this social justice BS is allowing prosecutors and judge to completely fail at keeping the public safe. So instead we get these stupid laws that do nothing but restrict our rights.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I would imagine constructive intent starts to apply when you are buying slides, barrels, holsters, ammo etc while being a felon.

No need to come up with anything as complex as constructive intent. Ammo possession by a felon is a crime by itself.

I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED PERSON: 18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment.

Also, as I mentioned previously, they found completed firearms.

I don't want the feds banning things or interpreting laws as they see fit. I want them to actually arrest and incarcerate violent felons so we don't even need to have this conversation. Unfortunately all this social justice BS is allowing prosecutors and judge to completely fail at keeping the public safe. So instead we get these stupid laws that do nothing but restrict our rights.

:thumbsup:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They obtained warrants based on the suspects' criminal histories and their purchase of 90% kits, assuming (correctly as it turns out) they would find completed kits. The searches seem to have been carried out 3-5 days after the buys... so apparently it took them a little more than 5 minutes with a drill. :rolleyes:

This article describing the arrests was linked from the article posted earlier about the promoter banning the kits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as soon as you drill the first hole and go beyond 80%, it is legally a firearm, so if you're a felon you're toast,
    even if the work isn't complete. Also, they had a good chance of finding ammo (and they did), which is also a no-no for a felon.

Like I said before, it sounds like the system worked... so what is the motivation for the ban other than preventing NON-criminals from buying them?

Yep, first drill hole makes it 81% and a firearm, and toast.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I'm just going to put this out there on several points,

Eagle arms isn't the first promoter to ban the sales of these at their shows...
    There was a seizure by authorities of P80's in various states of completion by known felons (the kits were purchased at an Eagle Arms show)
    You don't know what the AG threatened the promoter with, IE accessory before or after the fact on various crimes. So to all the people that say screw Eagle arms, try walking in his shoes on this one. It's a no win situation...

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    The problem I have with this is that the seller did not sell a firearm and broke no laws. The buyer did not purchase a firearm either. If the buyer is prohibited, would only be breaking the law once the item became a firearm by legal definition. Where does it end? They need to stop blaming the item and the seller and go after the law breakers. Next thing will be muzzle loader kits will be banned.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I serialized all my 80%’s in case they get stolen. I want them back. If the government was pro-2A and anti-criminal, they could recommend they be serialized, but no requirement for registration would be instituted.

The government is anti-2A and pro-criminal.

That's interesting.

May I ask how you serialized them? Where did you obtain a serial number? How did you affix it to the rifle/receiver? Did you record the serial number with any organization or just your own private records?

Thanks.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    No need to come up with anything as complex as constructive intent. Ammo possession by a felon is a crime by itself.

Also, as I mentioned previously, they found completed firearms.

:thumbsup:

This really sounds like existing laws are working just fine. Law enforcement just needs to learn to utilize existing laws to apprehend the criminals.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This really sounds like existing laws are working just fine. Law enforcement just needs to learn to utilize existing laws to apprehend the criminals.

Prosecutors need to use existing law to put away criminals. Cops can arrest all they want but it's worthless if the lawyers let them out immediately.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    ? The venders applauded him? If they were so concerned about selling ( 15 kits to one individual) then set a limit. I claim BS. Eagle buckled. Done with them

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    You don't know what the AG threatened the promoter with, IE accessory before or after the fact on various crimes. So to all the people that say screw Eagle arms, try walking in his shoes on this one. It's a no win situation...
    The promoter has already stated to one of our members that he was not threatened. I take people at their word. Call the promoter yourself and confirm it:

I spoke with who I think was the head hauncho a minute ago, he claims no one pressured him, there's gangs buying them 15 at a time, his vendors are applauding him.

I was respectful and gave him my opinion/that I would discontinue business with him until he reverted his decision. Here's his contact info if you're interested.

Call:*(610) 393-3047
    Email:*info@eagleshows.com

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Prosecutors need to use existing law to put away criminals. Cops can arrest all they want but it's worthless if the lawyers let them out immediately.

It's like something out of the movie "Demolition Man" when Dr. Cocteau released the worst criminals into the city to terrorize everyone into giving him complete power to remake society.

That could never happen in real life. :innocent0

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ? The venders applauded him? If they were so concerned about selling ( 15 kits to one individual) then set a limit. I claim BS. Eagle buckled. Done with them

In the past some of our members stated they bought 10 80% kits. Should they have been refused? Not saying they should have been refused. These sales may be refused if the seller gets any vibes it is for dubious activity. I know at least one IP that does, watched it first personally. Watched ffls in the past do it. I am sure they near 100% do. I personally would do a NICS check for anyone I didn’t know or for larger quantity requests. The first 30 seconds after that mention would weed out 90% of the ill intentioned. Including one IP here on this site.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's interesting.

May I ask how you serialized them? Where did you obtain a serial number? How did you affix it to the rifle/receiver? Did you record the serial number with any organization or just your own private records?

Thanks.

You can create your own serial number, there is no "firearms serial number authority".

Most people send them out to be engraved, on the AR platform there is plenty of realestate to put a serial number in the "regular location", some choose to put them in custom, not so obvious locations. On the P80 kits, they are coming with a plate affixed to the frame for those that want to have them engraved/stamped with a serial number. Other still, use other means of marking like electrostencilling.

There is no requirement (in Maryland or at the federal level) to register your serial number. Some states (california for example) require it by law, as well as obtaining the serial number from the state.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Technically if you so much as mark where the hole goes.

So if you put the polymer80 in the frame built for drilling it out that would count?

It comes like that. I'd argue that if that were the case then they would be selling you an 81%+ firearm because the second the lower is in the jig it's essentially "marked" as you just have to then drill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom