• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Are we seeing the first MDGA session in 30 years where not a single anti-gunowner bill has passed?

They're just banking on Harris/Pelosi/Schumer to find a way to do it for them. Still, it is an odd feeling ...

giphy.gif

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Are we seeing the first MDGA session in 30 years where not a single anti-gunowner bill has passed?

No. There were many years prior to 2013 where not a single truly anti-gun bill was passed.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    No. There were many years prior to 2013 where not a single truly anti-gun bill was passed.

This was most likely a test. This maneuver was testing to see if they could do this, gut a bill and make a new one out of an unrelated bill with little to no push back. They control the courts, so I would expect that the MDSC would fall in-line with their decision and ignore the MD constitution. Who cares what the text actually says, we make it what we want when we want it. They could not have gotten a new bill done because cross over day had passed, but scrap a totally unrelated bill that wasnt going to pass anyway, throw in anti gun stuff, and then push it forward last minute? Sure. Expect to see this tactic in the future on other things as well. Unless they actually got their hands smacked, and hard, by the MD court system, they wont care. Plus defending the plethora of bills they may throw out there using this tactic would bankrupt any organization trying to challenge the maneuver, but the MDGA has virtually unlimited funds to throw at it. It doesnt actually cost them anything. Throw out enough of them, and if even 1 gets through, they will have won. Especially if they just bankrupted all of their enemies in the process. Once no one can challenge them anymore, they are free to do whatever they want, whenever they want.

EDIT: I wanted to add that most organizations have the ability to challenge a single item in the courts, not multiple. So ...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Nope, there have been several years since 2013 that not only did we defeat ALL of the anti-2A bills, but they passed a pro-2A bill.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Nope, there have been several years since 2013 that not only did we defeat ALL of the anti-2A bills, but they passed a pro-2A bill.

Which bill was that? The AW ban? The mag cap? CCW? FFL for long guns? HQL? Which one was it that was pro-2A?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Which bill was that? The AW ban? The mag cap? CCW? FFL for long guns? HQL? Which one was it that was pro-2A?
    You forgot about unintentional carry outside of arbitrary, ambiguous permit restrictions being criminalized. Yes there have been a few years without anything major, but it's been death by a thousand cuts, too.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Thanks to those who chose to be vigilant during the darkest hours and provided the minute by minute by updates! If I understand what I have read:

The bill didn't pass!
    The attempt to piggy back new unconstitutional, anti -2A laws into an existing bill was unsuccessful!

Win Win

Am I understanding this correctly?

Further, can you and/or, is there a way to determine why the bill didn't pass? Was there person(s) that voted against it? Will there be an accounting of reasons to vote against?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

The only real pro 2A bill that I remember passing lately was the one that eliminated the shell casing law. And I think the only reason that passed was even the dems realized it was a completely useless waste of money

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The only real pro 2A bill that I remember passing lately was the one that eliminated the shell casing law. And I think the only reason that passed was even the dems realized it was a completely useless waste of money

That never really affected me. The casing comes with the gun then gets sent off somewhere. So I never had to do anything. That was a bad idea from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom