• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    Out of nowhere, the last few long guns I have purchased, the NICS check has come back delayed. Typically, it takes a day or two and I get cleared. Most recently though, 3 days have passed and I am still "open." Luckily, my FFL allows me to take my gun at that point, but it is super annoying.

I don't have a common name. So I don't think that is a problem. Does anyone know what the possible reason is I am getting delayed? Guesses only, obviously.

For the longest time, I went through fine. Then, like 1.5 years ago I started getting delayed. Would love to figure this out. Unfortunately, I am not sure that is going to be possible. If anyone else has dealt with this, I would appreciate hearing how.

Out of nowhere, the last few long guns I have purchased, the NICS check has come back delayed. Typically, it takes a day or two and I get cleared. Most recently though, 3 days have passed and I am still "open." Luckily, my FFL allows me to take my gun at that point, but it is super annoying.

I don't have a common name. So I don't think that is a problem. Does anyone know what the possible reason is I am getting delayed? Guesses only, obviously.

For the longest time, I went through fine. Then, like 1.5 years ago I started getting delayed. Would love to figure this out. Unfortunately, I am not sure that is going to be possible. If anyone else has dealt with this, I would appreciate hearing how.

I work PT at a gun shop. With this past year's HUGE spike in gun ownership, most people are being delayed by at 20 minutes to several hours. It is now an oddity to get an immediate "Proceed" when running a NICS check. Several days, however, tells me there is something they keep needing to look into.
    If you're not adding your SSN, it might be wise to start. Otherwise, a UPIN usually makes this problem go away.

NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    I will definitely go the upin route. Didn't think of that. My delays started well before the pandemic/sale increase. I am also always sure to include my SSN to try and prevent this. I even write out my full middle name to be as specific as possible. As I said in my original post. My name is incredibly unique. Makes me wonder what the heck it is that they have to look into further...

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    About half the time I'd get a delay usually a day or 2 just enough to be aggrivating and require another trip. So last year I applied for a UPIN. First time I used the UPIN I went through immediately. This past Monday I got a delay. The FFL hung up the phone and as she was making sure she had my cell to call me when I got the approval the phone rang. Yep they called back to give me the green light. So my delay time with the UPIN has been reduced to about 45 seconds. Next time? Who knows??

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Can't help you with the answer, but I have no criminal record, have a rare/odd last name (THREE of us males, me and 2 sons) to go with my stupid middle name, use my SS#, easily passed a Federal background check for CSX Railroad, and have an HQL, and ALWAYS get delayed on a long gun purchase or on a long gun transfer.

No one has been able to tell me why, and a few suggested a UPIN but supposedly that doesn't guarantee anything either.

UPIN = Unique Personal Identification Number

NoahNoahNoah

Oct 29, 2020
    Can't help you with the answer, but I have no criminal record, have a rare/odd last name (THREE of us males, me and 2 sons) to go with my stupid middle name, use my SS#, easily passed a Federal background check for CSX Railroad, and have an HQL, and ALWAYS get delayed on a long gun purchase or on a long gun transfer.

No one has been able to tell me why, and a few suggested a UPIN but supposedly that doesn't guarantee anything either.

UPIN = Unique Personal Identification Number

Same here man. I have HQL, a similar license for my job that requires a thorough background check, and have been approved for several silencers. Going to give the UPIN a shot and see how that goes...

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    I left MD a long time ago, every state I've lived in since just goes off my carry permit. I fill out the ATF form, but they just look at my carry permit and I'm on my way - no waiting for them to even make the phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom