• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Honestly, I'm interested in that just because I've got really long arms and the LOP on most rifles is just too short to be really comfortable for me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The inside is a standard carbine tube, which is a bit of a disappointment, an A5 setup inside would have been much better. But this is definitely a potential workaround for some of MD's OAL limits. (Speaking of which, I have used an A5 tube to do just that in the past!) If you put one of those super minimalist stocks on the back that's basically just a fixed buttplate, it would probably work out fairly well.

If I just HAD to build out a 7.5" AR-15 SBR, I guess I'd consider it.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I can't think of a single good reason to extend the length of pull beyond what is needed, instead of using a longer barrel, assuming a regular receiver extension satisfies your needs. The Voltr A5 is meant to improve the effects of the recoil, make the rifle run smoother, more reliable, move around less, etc. Conversely, a longer barrel and handguard will almost always be beneficial in an SBR type situation, and especially so in a 5.56.

Now, a 5.56 with a 10.5" - 12.5" barrel WITH a Voltr A5; now that would be the cat's meow!

I can't think of a single good reason to extend the length of pull beyond what is needed, instead of using a longer barrel, assuming a regular receiver extension satisfies your needs. The Voltr A5 is meant to improve the effects of the recoil, make the rifle run smoother, more reliable, move around less, etc. Conversely, a longer barrel and handguard will almost always be beneficial in an SBR type situation, and especially so in a 5.56.

Now, a 5.56 with a 10.5" - 12.5" barrel WITH a Voltr A5; now that would be the cat's meow!

For example, .300 Blackout/.300 AAC is pretty much perfect at 8.5" barrel length. Of course that would be a SBR requiring a tax stamp. Here in Marylandistan, SBR's must be at least 29" OAL. It is really tough to get to 29" with a "standard" carbine buffer and stock with barrels <10". This item makes 29" fully extended a piece of cake and it can be collapsed back to "normal" length quite easily.
    This product has me seriously considering collecting parts for a 6" AR-9 SBR build.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Just wanted to share this item to get everyone’s opinion? Looks like this would come in handy in MD to reach the 29” OAL for your AR SBR, thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sm...ver-extension-carbine-smf-tactical-exclusive/

I'd rather just have a buttplate that's a couple inches thicker.

I used to joke that some enterprising MD resident should make a buttstock or buttplate that's inflatable for....adjustment to accommodate people with very long arms.

If I understand the ATF's retarded logic, a muzzle device has to be permanently attached but they don't care that the buttpad is held on with 2 allen screws (until some idiot writes a letter)

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    For example, .300 Blackout/.300 AAC is pretty much perfect at 8.5" barrel length. Of course that would be a SBR requiring a tax stamp. Here in Marylandistan, SBR's must be at least 29" OAL. It is really tough to get to 29" with a "standard" carbine buffer and stock with barrels <10". This item makes 29" fully extended a piece of cake and it can be collapsed back to "normal" length quite easily.
    This product has me seriously considering collecting parts for a 6" AR-9 SBR build.

I understand the legal requirements entirely, but unless you have longer than average arms, I see no reason to add 4 1/4" to the buffer tube or buttstock, as opposed to the barrel and handguard, where the length is a lot more useful, if nothing else, for balance, and added handguard for holding onto the gun and mounting things such as BUIS and a light. Regardless of how cool or ideal a Insert-Caliber-Here short AR is, the thing will still need to be at least as long as required by law.

I was about to assemble an 8.3" AR9 pistol, but changed plans once the ATF proposed to once again redefine the pistol brace law. Now I'm planning for a 11" barrel and either go braceless, or apply for an SBR, in which case it would be legal in MD, because an 11" 9mm barrel is the same length as a 10.5" 5.56.

I still need to research whether or not the $200 SBR fee contributes directly to the ATF budget. If it does, I may stick to a braceless pistol. I'd hate to think that I directly contributed to their efforts to erode my rights. I also don't want to read about how they generated X amount of dollars to the Federal government by weaselly redefining the pistol brace rules.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I understand the legal requirements entirely, but unless you have longer than average arms, I see no reason to add 4 1/4" to the buffer tube or buttstock, as opposed to the barrel and handguard, where the length is a lot more useful, if nothing else, for balance, and added handguard for holding onto the gun and mounting things such as BUIS and a light. Regardless of how cool or ideal a Insert-Caliber-Here short AR is, the thing will still need to be at least as long as required by law.

I was about to assemble an 8.3" AR9 pistol, but changed plans once the ATF proposed to once again redefine the pistol brace law. Now I'm planning for a 11" barrel and either go braceless, or apply for an SBR, in which case it would be legal in MD, because an 11" 9mm barrel is the same length as a 10.5" 5.56.

I still need to research whether or not the $200 SBR fee contributes directly to the ATF budget. If it does, I may stick to a braceless pistol. I'd hate to think that I directly contributed to their efforts to erode my rights. I also don't want to read about how they generated X amount of dollars to the Federal government by weaselly redefining the pistol brace rules.

Being a federal tax, I'm thinking not directly-directly, but it kinda does directly-indirectly go to them...if that makes any sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom