• rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You know what they say when you assume.

Yes....

All I got is a RPR in 308

It will work just fine out there, mine does. I only shoot 175 grain FGMM ammo.
    No problems out to 1150 yards, well when I read the wind right and do exactly what I'm supposed to.....

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Intro to Long Range class at PNTC is quite good. So is their Kestrel class, for that matter.

I've also shot my RPR 308 over at Frontier Range, and it's really running out of steam at 1100+, even with 175 FGMM. The barrel is just not long enough (only 20"), and you really need every bit of velocity you can for those ranges. If I ever rebarreled my RPR, I'd go much longer, like 26", with a heavier contour, which I think would be enough to deal with frontier adequately.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    I’ve shot successfully to 1,055 yards with a .308 stock Savage 10 w 175 SMK, 4-16 Nikon FX1000. I really learned that day that I should really be all mil and not MOA..
    Look up BangSteel (for anyone who hasn’t yet) out of VA. I like their philosophy of running what you got and keeping it simple.

But- nice rig!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm completely out of my depth on long range shooting, but I'll express respect and admiration for anyone capable of getting even a fraction of that rifle's performance from their shooting skills.

Good luck with the new rig!

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I'm interested in hearing how that e.r. Shaw barrel shoots. The long range precision community is kinda snobby and I feel e.r. Shaw doesn't get a fair shake. I have an old rem 700 in 22-250 that I haven't had enough time on to see if it'll still shoot. If it's found to be too worn I'm considering e.r. Shaw since the price isn't bad.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    YAY Doc. Can't wait to see pics of targets.
    They’ll have one hole…..that’s if I manage to hit it once.
    I'm interested in hearing how that e.r. Shaw barrel shoots. The long range precision community is kinda snobby and I feel e.r. Shaw doesn't get a fair shake. I have an old rem 700 in 22-250 that I haven't had enough time on to see if it'll still shoot. If it's found to be too worn I'm considering e.r. Shaw since the price isn't bad.

The gun belonged to a friend. One hole at 300 yards, I’m told. I’ll get it out at the 200 yard range to sight it in as soon as I get the scope mount in.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    With such good company how can I stay home?

You can't. Kyle will squash you like a bug and I will watch.

It will work just fine out there, mine does. I only shoot 175 grain FGMM ammo.
    No problems out to 1150 yards, well when I read the wind right and do exactly what I'm supposed to.....

I have been collecting the 168 gr and have a couple boxes of 175. It shoots so well at 200 with 168. I thought that would cut it.
    You are the second person to tell me about the 175's. I can only test out to 200 so a comparison is in order.
    I am really excited to go!

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Congratulations Doc and I'll second the cool factor of the hang time before the ding.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Do you guys shoot suppressed at these distances? Does it make a difference either way? I have sighted in with the can on at 200.

Hey Doc, let me know when you go to give her a test run....

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Congratulations Doc and I'll second the cool factor of the hang time before the ding.
    Yeah. I just hope I get to hear the ding. This is brand new to me.
    Do you guys shoot suppressed at these distances? Does it make a difference either way? I have sighted in with the can on at 200.

Hey Doc, let me know when you go to give her a test run....

Will do. I have a few boxes of ammo. Maybe this weekend if I get the scope mount in. Supposed to be here Thursday.

I don't plan on shooting suppressed.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Nice rig!

ER Shaw did a 700 in 30.06 a while ago for me. My only advice is that their rifling runs a little rough and may require increased cleaning and break in period until the high spots are smoothed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nice rig!

ER Shaw did a 700 in 30.06 a while ago for me. My only advice is that their rifling runs a little rough and may require increased cleaning and break in period until the high spots are smoothed.

Thanks! It's got 200 rounds through it. Hopefully that is taken care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom