• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Crimping in a separate step can give you a more consistent COAL as well as more consistent crimp. For me with 38spc I was having chambering issues in my Colt Official Police with coated lead. The chambers are really tight. Anyway, when I got a Lee FCD the chambering issue went away. I was able to adjust the crimp to get the cases back to perfectly (or good enough) straight after belling then for seating the bullet. With the factory seating-crimp die I just couldn’t get it just right and I’d have a lot of rounds that I had to shove in to the chambers no matter how I adjusted things.

Also on bullets with a crimp ring I can more easily crimp them in to the crimp ring.

At this point I have a Lee FCD for every cartridge except .30-06 (because everyone has been out) and semi-auto pistols that don’t start with Tokarev (because I’ve got one for 7.62x25).

I haven’t seen a need for straight wall (or tapered) pistol/rifle cases. Rimmed and bottle neck, yes. I’ve generally seen an improvement.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For handgun loads, * Usually * for most loads, components , and guns , the three dies will work fine . But usually isn't same as absolutely always .

There are other specialized crip only dies , but the unique thing about the FCD is not only the crimping , but the sizing ring for post seat/ crimp sizing .

In theory , seperate seating & crimp is superior . In practice , depending upon exact components and relationships of tolerances , might be an Improvement , might be negligible .

In case I was too vague , the price difference is less to get 4 die set from the jump , than to purchase separately later . Better to have and not frequently need , etc , etc .

Given a choice , I will usually get the 4 , but if only the 3 is available , it's not a deal breaker for me .

Old School Traditional Rifle die sets are TWO dies . LEE has two common " additional " rifle dies , the FCD and the Neck Size only . Read the fine print carefully . Sometimes the 3 die sets will have FCD , sometimes Neck Only . A Four Die set will have both , but 4 die sets are only offered for a few calibers .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    [Kev308];6354335 said:
    I got items in my cart and I have the same exact question. I am planning on getting a Lee 4 hole turret reloader, and I have 4 die carbide sets of 357 mag and 44 mag, but could only find a 3 die set for 308win.

Is the FCD prefered or not on revolver cartridges?

Other than more money, is the 4th die something I will regret not having as I get more into reloading in the future?

still agree with my post from 12 years ago, but did upgrade around that time to a Hornady LNL AP 5 hole progressive press.

Flat out, get at least a 4 hole press, 5 if you want to be able to bell the mouth and charge separately or use a bullet feeder.

the factory crimp dies are really good, ad I use them, but are less critical with better dies. I use Hornady or RCBS dies most of the time, better sizing, fewer issues with concentric, and just all round better ammo than my older Lee dies. Even with Hornady dies, some calibers really benefit from a post-sizing die, 9mm being the main one, helps iron out any minor bulging and will feed 100% in semis. Using a separate roll or taper crimp die allows easier crimping and seating as the processes are separated, and the dies tend to give better results than seat/crimp combo dies, especially if you want heavy crimps for cast bullets in magnum calibers. I use crimp dies only for FMJ or canelured rifle ammo destined for semis, manual actions usually are getting loaded with match bullets and no crimp. The factory crimp die gives a nice tight uniform crimp for stuff like M14 or AR10/15 actions that beat the case into the chamber.

For me I load in a couple different methods, all start with sorted range brass tumbled dry in corncob and stored in tubs

for handgun with carbide dies- a little bit of dillon spray lube for 9mm(tapered cases take a lot of force if they are dry), straight cases can be dry, dump cases in the feeder
    in each station:
    1, size/decap
    2 prime/flare
    3 charge
    4 seat bullet
    5 crimp/post size
    then tumble about 20min in corncob media to clean the lube off.

for rifle, shake in a small box as I spray with dillon lube, then dump in the feeder.
    1 size/decap
    that it for the 1st trip through the press.
    2 trim/deburr in a FA platinum case prep center
    3 swage crimped primer pockets
    4 clean in ultrasonic-cleans well inside the case and the primer pockets, , no media to pick out.
    5 flush with hot water and dry
    prepped gets stored separately from unprocessed/cleaned till I can load it.
    to load:
    1 empty-
    2 prime/charge
    3 set bullet
    4 seat
    5 crimp on cannelured bullets.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok. I'm clear on that now. Thank you all for the replies.

My CC info got stolen so the items will sit in the cart for a bit longer. Hopefully they won't sell out while I wait for the new card.:tdown:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    [Kev308];6354941 said:
    Ok. I'm clear on that now. Thank you all for the replies.

My CC info got stolen so the items will sit in the cart for a bit longer. Hopefully they won't sell out while I wait for the new card.:tdown:

Sucks about the CC. Happens to me at least once a year. :mad54:

Most Lee sets are also available on Fleabay and Amazonian.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I like the Lee rifle and semi auto pistol factory crimp dies. For a heavy recoiling magnum revolver the Lee FCD is a no show in my experience. Lee advertises no need to trim brass when using the FCD for a reason…the crimp will not roll the case mouth in as much. So one will encounter bullet creep when shooting heavy magnum revolver loads.

An RCBS will really tuck the case mouth into the bullet cannelure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The FCD is particularly helpful when tolerance stack of bullet seating depth and case wall thickness cause case bulge .

For maximum case neck tension for magnum revolvers , the ultimate is the Redding Profile Crimp die , possibly in conjunction with polishing down the diameter of the neck expander . ( Case neck tension is critical for consistent ignition of slow burning powder , beyond just minimizing bullets backing out under recoil .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom