• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Before I drop some $ on 1k plated RNFP 135gr bullets, any thoughts on running them for a subsonic load? Not necessarily looking for a thumper. I'd look at 147 or 158gr bullets for that of course. Anyway, I don't have much in a heavy weight. I've got 500 MBC 147gr RNFP coated and that is it (well, 280 odd XTP also). Looking to get a suppressor friendly load worked up at some point. Nothing against coated lead, but I figured I'd try something else as well.

My pistol can doesn't break NFA jail for probably another 4-6 months depending on what form 4s will have been running by the time mine is making it towards the front of some's stack of paperwork. I figure copper plated is probably somewhat cleaner running in a suppressor than coated lead. So I have a while to figure it out.

I am thinking probably loading around 4-4.2gr of Bullseye might get it done. I'd have to double check, but I don't think I have any load data for 135gr bullets (though maybe my Lyman handloader book does). I figured I'd look at 147gr data and work up from a mid-weight charge until I get about 1000fps with none of them going over 1050fps.

Thanks!

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I mentioned in another thread that Clays will cycle subsonic 115gr/124gr rounds in a PCC without a can, so if you're
    looking for a low-weight sub round, you might want to check into Clays.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    3.2 up to 3.5 of titegroup will be in the 950-1000 fps with 135 grain bullets.

Whats a RNFP? I'm assuming that mean round nose flat point. Seems like opposite terms. You mean flat base?

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I ran 135 coated as subs and they worked just fine. I would work backwards until they don't function and bump it .2 for reliability. 130 power factor usually gets it done so 960ish fps in this case is what I'd aim for. Tons of loads over at brianenos.com.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My 3 gun / PCC load is a plated 124RN over 4.7gr of CFE pistol. It's about 1050 from most 5" and longer barrels and functions flawlessly. Runs great through cans.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    3.2 up to 3.5 of titegroup will be in the 950-1000 fps with 135 grain bullets.

Whats a RNFP? I'm assuming that mean round nose flat point. Seems like opposite terms. You mean flat base?

Round nose flat point. As opposed to a truncated cone. They are slightly different profiles. RNFP is like you cut the tip off a round nose. Truncated cone is closer to a semi-was cutter in profile (without the shoulder step)

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    In for sone info.
    I'm working up some subs with 147 grain RN plated from xtreme. I have some blue dot and green dot I'm going to play with.
    I will say starting at the min charge didnt seen to be it, next test and tune I will have my chrono out for sure.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Neither one of those is really optimal. Blue dot is more well suited for magnum calibers. Green dot might work. I've only heard of people using it for lead though. Titegroup, N320, Sport Pistol, clean shot, Win 231 or 244, Unique, etc would all come to mind before any of the dots.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Round Nose Flat Point .

The classic example is traditional 250/ 255gr .45 Colt .

Think a Round Nose with the point clipped off , leaving a flat point aka Meplat . Depending upon the specific bullet , the flat part could be very large, very small , or anywhere inbetween . The closely related T/C Truncated Cone , think an upside down sno cone cup with the tip cut off .

While the cliche usage is " cowboy " ctgs , it can be much more versatile . Think potentially similar terminal performance to a SWC , but with better feeding , both autoloaders and leverguns .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, ordered the 1k of Xtreme 135gr RNFP. I'll work up a load soon and see how they run in my 17 and 34. Sadly it'll be a few months before I can see how well they suppress.

JBoshoven

May 30, 2021
    Severn, MD
    Well, ordered the 1k of Xtreme 135gr RNFP. I'll work up a load soon and see how they run in my 17 and 34. Sadly it'll be a few months before I can see how well they suppress.

I cannot tell you how safe I feel knowing you will be waiting a few months to get your can. What I joke.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom