• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    So, I've finally received my AR from a build that took several months due to the gunsmith's priorities ahead of me :party29: He's a federal employee for Tank and Automotive Command (TACOM), and has been in the business of things that go boom for at least 15 years. I sent an 80% lower to him to get it machined and matched to my newly purchased upper.

The results and specs:
    20130925_203323_zps10c967b1.jpg

ARAK-21 Upper receiver with .300 and 5.56 barrels (interchangeable with UR)
    MA-Customs custom Lower Receiver with Geissele SSA-E trigger group
    VLTOR E-Mod Carbine stock
    BCM Mod 1 grip
    MAGPUL MBUS Front/Rear back-up sights
    MAGPUL "no-snag'm" rail covers
    GripPod GPS-02
    Triji TA648MGO (reman)

Alternate Rig:
    20130925_201829_zpse65e90a9.jpg

Surefire M952XM07 WeaponLight
    Meprolight M21

The other "pre-ban" purchases are a Ruger SR45, a Glock G23 2nd Gen, and a Mossy 500A (folding/collapsible stock and pistol grip).

:party29:

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Love it!! Give a range report!!!

Most definitely. =) My builder test fired and said that the lack of felt recoil was very impressive. Follow up shots were on the money with almost no effort. I need to test it out with a combat loadout and see for myself =D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Chris05STi

Jul 15, 2012
    Now are you right handed? Did you the left handed charging handle with ejection on the right side, this way you can reload and charge the handle with your right hand on the grip and trigger?

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    I'm a lefty, hence ordering the lefty flipped model. :) The charging handle can be relocated to the left or right though.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    Nice looking rifle!
    I like the ARAK21. I might try one as a SBR with a folding stock.
    Give us a range report if you get a chance.
    BTW... I dont know if it really makes a difference but I think your rear MBUS is on backwards.

Last edited:

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Who's Sarah?

An awkward question (even though you clearly saw the bag), but she's my daughter. :)

Nice looking rifle!
    I am intrigued by the ARAK21. I might try one as a SBR with a folding stock.
    Give us a range report if you get a chance.
    BTW... I dont know if it really makes a difference but I think your rear MBUS is on backwards.

Good eye ;) I had just mocked them up and realized after I took the picture that I did indeed have the rear sight on backwards. Also not sure if it matters or not, I don't recall seeing a tapered ring. Regardless, it's correctly mounted now :o

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Might want to reword your OP some. ;)

80% lowers are supposedly to be completed by the owner, negating paperwork. Not sure that applies if you allow someone else to complete it for you.

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Might want to reword your OP some. ;)

80% lowers are supposedly to be completed by the owner, negating paperwork. Not sure that applies if you allow someone else to complete it for you.

It's a serialized/long-formed lower. Completely acceptable for you to purchase an 80% lower and send to CL7 FFL to finish. :) Thanks for the input, though.

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Range report:

SOLID. Very solid weapon feel, very accurate after I dialed it in. Did not shoot with the 5.56 barrel, only with the 300 AAC heavy barrel. I had approx 6 FTE/FTF's out of 150 rounds, but I'm not 100% sure of the cause. I can only assume at this point that the FTE/FTF issues were due to the gas block settings (adjustable gas block with 4 positions), or the ammunition used (Freedom Ammunition) which was reload from 5.56 and die cut/formed for the larger bullet.

With those issues aside, she shot very spot on, follow up shots were within 1" at 75m. I shot using the bi-pod for the majority of my groupings and shot standing for around 10~15 rounds.

The overall weight with Meprolight M21 attached with bi-pod felt VERY balanced, not too fore-end heavy.

First time out with 300AAC as well, and I'm impressed! Almost ZERO recoil, felt like I was shooting a .22lr.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Nice gun and range report! I've been kicking around the idea of getting the two barrel upper set once I get my tax returns. Nice to know it will be money well spent.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    That is beautiful. With a folder it would be perfect. It would just need a muzzle brake. I might have to seriously consider one of these. I have never had any use for a self soiling gun whose stock cannot fold.

Cliff P

Mar 22, 2013
    Bel Air
    Nice gun and range report! I've been kicking around the idea of getting the two barrel upper set once I get my tax returns. Nice to know it will be money well spent.

I feel that bar none this was the best multi barrel puchase out there available. I am wildly impressed bt the overall quality and design. The crew at Faxon has been very helpful to boot. All questions during the purchase were answered within only a few hours, and they were very accomodating. They didnt treat me like a number, but like a personal long-time friend. Says a lot for me to feel so welcome as I ask tons of questions!

That is beautiful. With a folder it would be perfect. It would just need a muzzle brake. I might have to seriously consider one of these. I have never had any use for a self soiling gun whose stock cannot fold.

It's obviously capable of a folding stock. :) I planned on buying the adapter available on the market to make my collapsible stock a folding one, but honestly with my current stock I no longer want/need a folder.

Going to tear it down tomorrow and give it a thorough cleaning tomorrow and take pics of the assemblies before cleaning. I want to see how clean/dirty she is so I have an idea/estimate of how many rounds she can handle before she starts to seriously malfunction.

Next week to 10 days will be a review of the 5.56 barrel. I'll be using Lake City XM855 so there should be zero questions of ammunition quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom