Hirschfeld et al v BATFE (under 21 handgun purchases)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well, we could turn this on them (Dems/Left). You should be 21 to vote. You know because folks that aren't 21 or older, are immature and prone to making bad choices.

It is more that people are more impulsive until they hit their early to mid 20s. That said, I'd rather see the age be 18 with no age on possession. Your parents think you are responsible enough to possess a gun at 7, that's on them.

I also think your parents should be legally responsible for you to, so if they made a bad choice, they share any punishment/blame for the consequences. Since the consequences are exceedingly rare, seems like most parents make the right choice.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Giffords and Brady filed amicus brief s

Attachments

• Hirshamicusgiffords.pdf
      828.2 KB · Views: 128
    • hirsh amicus brief brady.pdf
      399.9 KB · Views: 136

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Giffords and Brady filed amicus brief s

If the second amendment does not apply to persons under 21 then neither does the first amendment nor any of the other rights endowed by the creator and guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If the second amendment does not apply to persons under 21 then neither does the first amendment nor any of the other rights endowed by the creator and guaranteed by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Ding ding ding. Absurd that we have laws that are only applicable between 18 and 21.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Ding ding ding. Absurd that we have laws that are only applicable between 18 and 21.

And still everyone follows these laws and police enforce these laws, yet when we talk about gun bans we hear no comply. So far, there is alot of compliance in the realm of things that are unconstitutional. Is it because "it doesn't effect me" ?

Not pointing at you, just raising the question.

I always hear talk of
    1. police won't follow unconstitutional laws on the whole
    2. the public talking about how they won't comply
    but
    then I see stuff like this and police enforce and the public complies.
    where is "the line"
    where police won't enforce and the public won't comply?

I ask that last question because it's out there, but not near it yet. Due to the boiling frog type of attack, the "normal" for where that line happens to lay is gradually moved further and further back as people get used to the encroachment.

Just putting it out there as an observation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The lead Plaintiff is currently over 21yo , but has an 18yo co-Plaintiff .

I'm sure that ire was raised about this back in '68 , along with the myriad other problems with GCA68 . But for every one under 69yo, this state of affairs has been "normal" their entire adult lives . I don't imeadately have the number on top of my head , but significant number of states have 21yo under state law .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The lead Plaintiff is currently over 21yo , but has an 18yo co-Plaintiff .

I'm sure that ire was raised about this back in '68 , along with the myriad other problems with GCA68 . But for every one under 69yo, this state of affairs has been "normal" their entire adult lives . I don't imeadately have the number on top of my head , but significant number of states have 21yo under state law .

The harm occurred when the lead plaintiff was under 21. No time machine in use yet.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The same rule applies to abortion cases. When a temporary condition will not apply to the plaintiff by the time it works through years of appeals, but the condition will occur to others, the case can proceed.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Judge Prado is a moron.

“Congress was focused on a particular problem: young persons under 21, who are immature and prone to violence, easily accessing handguns,” Judge Edward Prado wrote for the panel according to Reuters. “The present ban appears consistent with a longstanding tradition of age- and safety-based restrictions on the ability to access arms.”

Would he accept a ban on black and Hispanic gun purchases, since their violent crime rate is much higher?

Why did we give them, those under 21, the vote if they are immature?

I am all for those who are citizens and who own real property being the only ones who can vote in local, state and federal elections.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    How can we let 18-21 serve their country yet call them to immature to have a gun? WTF.

Move the age to enlist up to 21 along with voting so at least they can keep it all on the same page. Then when they are short on recruits and dem voters, they will see the error and a move for all at 18.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom