• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    Has anyone been to Hap Baker recently? Just wondering if they are fully open again.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Two weeks ago I dropped off some old motor oil at the dump and the gate going down the road to the gun range was closed when it should’ve been open. Not sure if anyone has anything more recent to add.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Two weeks ago I dropped off some old motor oil at the dump and the gate going down the road to the gun range was closed when it should’ve been open. Not sure if anyone has anything more recent to add.
    What day and time were you there? Until March 31st they’re only open Fri-Sun 1000-1600. Annoyingly minimal hours of operation during the winter. That’s probably why they were not open when you visited the landfill. I read somewhere recently, forget where, that they’ve petitioned the County to revise the hours of operation to be open Mon-Sat year round (or something to that effect).

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I read somewhere recently, forget where, that they’ve petitioned the County to revise the hours of operation to be open Mon-Sat year round (or something to that effect).

That seems like an incredibly bad idea, and likely to be very unpopular if it succeeds. Since they close at sunset, its nearly impossible for anyone who works weekdays to go during the week.

Why not Tue-Sun?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That seems like an incredibly bad idea, and likely to be very unpopular if it succeeds. Since they close at sunset, its nearly impossible for anyone who works weekdays to go during the week.

Why not Tue-Sun?
    Oops. You’re right, my bad. I meant Tues-Sun. Still being closed on Monday for LEO range time. I mean, afterall somebody has to put all the bullet holes in the overhead sound & Rick O’Shea baffles.....:innocent0

I can’t remember where I read that proposal, it was recent so I’ll try to fnd it and clarify it for us.

EDIT: Found the article, never mind - it was from May 2016. It referenced a proposal to be open to the public Mon & Tues as well during the Fall to handle the deer rifle sight-in crowds. Not sure what the heck I was remembering :sad20:

Last edited:

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Don't even try to go on a weekend from around the start of October to the end of gun season. 3+ hour waits for a lane are the norm. I've taken days off just to go there and sight in and it was packed even in the middle of the week right after lunch. They need to establish a time limit to keep things moving along.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Oops. You’re right, my bad. I meant Tues-Sun. Still being closed on Monday for LEO range time. I mean, afterall somebody has to put all the bullet holes in the overhead sound & Rick O’Shea baffles.....:innocent0

The overhead bullet holes are somewhat typical of LEO ranges. They practice very close drills - like arms length, up close and personal distance - so the round that goes in the right place on the target might be heading at an angle upwards instead of level.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I was up there last Saturday and it was fully open and busy as usual. I may go again this coming weekend but I'll get there earlier next time. I only waited about an hour for a rifle lane. The pistol range was full, too.

Mar 6, 2019
    I went there a few days ago and it was up and running like normal. The hangers looked like they were a little tighter. There wasn’t as much sway as I expected with those winds. Anyone know how far that wood extension goes out? I’m terrible at estimating distance.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anyone we know at Hap Baker today? Supposedly an accidental gunshot wound there now.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Anyone we know at Hap Baker today? Supposedly an accidental gunshot wound there now.
    Packing up to head up later today, maybe not now, probably will be closed for investigation, etc... Hopefully false report, hopefully nobody got hurt.

Derek1320

Nov 10, 2009

I almost went but bailed on my brother and a friend last minute. He texted me about half past ten and told me I picked a good day to bail. They didn't even make it past the parking lot...

Aug 11, 2019
    I was there with a friend the moment it happened, walking down from the parking lot. Heard a huge pop and thought someone was shooting .338 or something, but then all the firing stopped. It was pretty awful hear him moaning after that—I hope he's alright! Fire department and medics came really quickly, Carroll County has it's shit together. I don't think he shot his finger off, the word floating around the range was that he had a round explode in the chamber and it damaged his whole hand somehow. Could be wrong though.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Anyone know if Hap Baker is still opening after the incident? Did it even close for any length of time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom