• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    My 77R had taken more than 7 days, so I sent MSP an email and received this automated response.

On the morning of June 21, 2020, the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services (DPSCS) experienced a catastrophic hardware failure within their data center. This failure has caused an interruption in the Maryland State Police Licensing Division’s (MDSPLD) ability to complete background investigations, specifically, for regulated firearm purchase applications (77Rs), handgun qualification license applications (HQLs) and MD wear and carry permit applications (handgun permits). While all of these applications are affected to some degree, 77R applications are experiencing an immediate impact.

Maryland State Police has issued an advisory to all licensed Maryland dealer's on how to proceed. Please contact your dealer.

I contacted my dealer who said that MSP gave no direction other than to say that all processing is delayed. Wanted to share in case there are others out there wondering why their 77R hasn't been approved yet. Womp womp.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If I'm not mistaken, the law makes no provision for back-end datacenter failures. Can't the dealer release the 77R-related item to the buyer on that 8th day in the ABSENCE OF A DISAPPROVAL?

Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    If I'm not mistaken, the law makes no provision for back-end datacenter failures. Can't the dealer release the 77R-related item to the buyer on that 8th day in the ABSENCE OF A DISAPPROVAL?

Interestingly, there is a bright yellow splash message on MSPs web portal saying just this, but that does leave it up to dealer discretion and my dealer, at least, isn't willing to release them. That might change if this goes on for a prolonged period of time, but who knows.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Interestingly, there is a bright yellow splash message on MSPs web portal saying just this, but that does leave it up to dealer discretion and my dealer, at least, isn't willing to release them. That might change if this goes on for a prolonged period of time, but who knows.
    This is your dealer screwing you. They have no obligation at all to wait.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Makes you feel better for the Government Health care, Government safety programs, the government is -------------------------------------------------------------> over there working on a solution :rolleyes:

Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    This is your dealer screwing you. They have no obligation at all to wait.

BDS (Battered Dealer Syndrome)

Buy from Chuck Tyler or Gymratz and you will get your gun when you are supposed to.

Ya, I get that too. It sucks, because I like them a lot, but it makes me think twice about buying from them again should something like this happen again. Nothing I can do about it now though, sadly.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Don’t do business with dealers that won’t release on the 8th day. Many people learned this in 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Having worked in a data center, even the low cost computing was backed up on three different racks. I suspect that this is not a hardware failure but a software failure.

Kaiju

Mar 2, 2013
    Having worked in a data center, even the low cost computing was backed up on three different racks. I suspect that this is not a hardware failure but a software failure.

I also found it strange that there isn't/was't a DR plan that wouldn't have already fixed the issue.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    My 77R had taken more than 7 days, so I sent MSP an email and received this automated response.

I contacted my dealer who said that MSP gave no direction other than to say that all processing is delayed. Wanted to share in case there are others out there wondering why their 77R hasn't been approved yet. Womp womp.

This entire process is unconstitutional.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    "The MDSPLD encourages RFDs not to transfer these firearms until backgrounds checks have been completed; however, should the RFD elect to exercise their statutory option to release the firearm on the 8th day, the RFD shall follow the below procedure:
    1. The RFD will access their Licensing Portal;
    2. locate the application to be released within the “SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS” section;
    3. print a copy of the application;
    4. verify that all information in “Section 4” is accurate;
    5. both the RFD and the applicant will sign and complete “Section 6”;
    6. scan and send the completed copy of the 77R to msp.firearmsregistration@maryland.gov."

Attachments

• MDBackgroundChanges.pdf
      52.6 KB · Views: 155

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Do the same geniuses that manage the unemployment site, and that implemented the MD health connection site, also run the MSP IT efforts? Based on the way all three of these run, I’m thinking it may be the same IT crew that oversees the Baltimore City IT department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom