• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes they were. Primers on PV are selling faster than any human can click to check out.

That’s the case a lot of places. I’d bet it’s at least 75% bots.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Magnum pistol primers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what I was after. I don't really need them now as I have no brass or powder for 357 mag, but I "needed" them in the sense that I have none. Alliant does have load data with regular small pistol primers which I have, so I'm keeping an eye out for one of their powders

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And problem is, with only 1000 allowed at a time, you are looking at $30 in shipping and hazmat

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    And problem is, with only 1000 allowed at a time, you are looking at $30 in shipping and hazmat

Right. Someone on Mewe reloading was talking how Powder Valley was doing us a favor limiting to one to discourage and control bots. He said raise raising prices helped too. Referencing the $95 for 1k primer strips

I was just confused as all get out. I pay more for hazmat and more for supplies and I should be celebrating, I think not. If people stop buying the over priced resellers leaving them with product they can't move, they won't use bots to BUY anymore!

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Has anyone have any luck with finding primers and powder from bass pro as of late? Seems like they just stopped trying to restock (both online and retail) as of late that I stopped my usual bass pro runs.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Has anyone have any luck with finding primers and powder from bass pro as of late? Seems like they just stopped trying to restock (both online and retail) as of late that I stopped my usual bass pro runs.

I haven’t been to bass pro in Arundel mills in a while but cabelas hasn’t had any besides from black powder for muzzle loaders in a while.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Right. Someone on Mewe reloading was talking how Powder Valley was doing us a favor limiting to one to discourage and control bots. He said raise raising prices helped too. Referencing the $95 for 1k primer strips

I was just confused as all get out. I pay more for hazmat and more for supplies and I should be celebrating, I think not. If people stop buying the over priced resellers leaving them with product they can't move, they won't use bots to BUY anymore!

It does a favor for those guys desperate and/or well off enough that paying $130+ for 1k when all is said and done isn't that big a deal.

I mean, it is a bargain compared to scalper and gun show sales where they are running $200-400 for 1k for the really desperate guys.

Almost every hobby has people where money is no object. At least to be honest, for reloading, probably most of the guys in to it are serious gun guys. Not a lot of serious gun guys are border line poverty. I am SURE there are some guys where that isn't true and they are missed paycheck away from losing their house, car or getting evicted.

Yeah a lot of us shelling out a few hundred extra to continue our hobby hurts. But most of us if we had no way to reload would be pissed, but would shell out a couple of hundred extra bucks to keep reloading. It would be cheaper by far than buying commercial ammo (if we could even find it).

A heck of a lot of us though have supplies to keep reloading for a long time. A lot of us are just cutting back shooting, so we don't need to reload.

I do hope scalpers are going to get burned in the end. But I think the issue is going to be they'll keep buying primers cheap if they can find them and trying to resell them high.

If they can nab a case at $210 shipped to their door, so they resell it at $300 per 1k and they've made $1,300 if they sell all of them at that price. If the bottom drops out, well then they'll sell them for $250. Or 200. Or 150. Or 100 and so on. Yeah, eventually they'll probably be that guy at the gun show who has a few boxes on their table for $60 each months or years after you can go to the reputable dealer elsewhere in the show with plenty of stock selling them for $35/1k (supposing that is what they return to).

But if in the meantime he manages to sell a few cases he got at close to normal prices at a huge markup, he as still made several thousand bucks. Probably not a huge downside so long as they didn't pay much markup and the market doesn't completely fall out from under them. Okay, so again, they are liquidating at $60 a box from the few cases they got. I'd bet there will be a serious market at $60 per 1k at some point as the prices are coming down. Lots of guys will see the trend and sit it out, but tons of guys who said "hell no" at $200 or $300+ per 1k and sat it out for months are going to look at $60 per 1k and think gee, I am pretty low, I just need a box or two and I can get back to reloading a bunch and I'll buy a lot more once prices are finally back to normal.

To be clear, I hate scalpers. But for reasonably priced primers like Midway, Scalpers and hoarders are mostly what is driving it. The later might some day feel like their three life times supply of 50,000 primers is enough and they can stop. The scalpers so long as they are selling something probably won't stop buying them at normal prices and reselling them high unless their demand has just plummeted to nothing and they have a ton of supply. Can keep buying cases when they can and marking up the boxes a little and make some money. When they'll stop is probably when places like Midway actually manage to keep inventory for days at a time at normal prices. That's when they will stop.

TBH, I think Midway needs to stop selling cases and break them.

Do I WANT to pay a ton more? No. But if the online sellers were limiting to 1k of any type, yes you would see way less guys buying them. It would hurt the scalpers a lot and significantly reduce their profit margin. It would also possibly stop some of the hoarders who'd absolutely shell out $200-280 for a case delivered to their door. But maybe $70-80 for just 1k might be more than they'd swallow.

And breaking cases would mean they can sell those cases to 5x more people who are in need.

I don't see jacking up the price, because they'd have to increase it hugely to really cut way down on scalpers. But selling by the case isn't helping anything at all.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I'd like to see them start taking backorders again. I'd be happy with 1k SPP for now. Then maybe the Sheit Show would end before I need more or I could just wait in the back order line again. If every customer signs up they just run through the list as it was made. Scalpers and hoarders don't get any better preference or advantage.

Ordering this way online is awful. Hazmat fee one one kind of primer, then for another, then for this powder and then for that powder. You can't order a group of things and pay one fee.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Powder valley just has CCi SPP and magnums and at $95. So this is the set price now since yesterday. By the time notified only one left and gone before I could get it into cart. Not sure I was going to pay that AND hazmat fees

So they double primer prices yesterday. They we $45 at 11 am first release and $95 in the afternoon and today.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

They have had nothing on the shelf and they repurposed those shelves for other stuff.
    Ammo replaced with ammo boxes and clay disks
    No shelves for reloading supplies anymore
    I go there at least 2 times a week looking for factory 9mm/223 for friends

No local shops I have gone to have primers at all at any price

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Finally some primers in the classifieds. Only $200-$250 per 1k. Some members just dont care I guess. I would love to find some shotgun primers but I would never pay that kind of money. I would be embarrassed to publicly ask that kind of cash.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Finally some primers in the classifieds. Only $200-$250 per 1k. Some members just dont care I guess. I would love to find some shotgun primers but I would never pay that kind of money. I would be embarrassed to publicly ask that kind of cash.

Dam, I had about 500 shotgun primers about 3 weeks ago in the barter thread but no one wanted them so I sold them to a coworker who did.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Dam, I had about 500 shotgun primers about 3 weeks ago in the barter thread but no one wanted them so I sold them to a coworker who did.

Oh well! Wouldn't be the first thing I missed out on and I am sure it wont be the last. I have a few that should get me through the current league but after that, if things don't open up I may have to take a break.

I probably shouldn't have posed that earlier thread and should mind my own business. They will probably sell them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

I can give you 500 Winchester 209 primers if you can pick up from Frederick County area.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis

If you have and small or large pistol primers I’d be willing to trade Win 209’s 1:1 just let me know thanks.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD

I have atleast a brick of shotgun primers I dont see me using any time soon. CCI I beleive I would have to double check. I got them pre covid pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom