• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Last Friday (10/21) Global Ordnance had Ginex Large pistol Primer listed for $450 on AmmoSeek so I took the plunge. I decided I could work one more day as a MoCo early voting judge and use the additional bump in pay to cover the excessive current market price for securing primer stock. I know this sounds whacked, but that's how my brain works.

So far, my credit card has been charged, I've a received confirmation email from Global Ordnance stating my order is: "Awaiting Fulfillment: which means we have your order, we have put aside the order quantity you ordered and as soon as our warehouse can package it for shipment, it will leave our facility. This process is order volume dependent so in times of massive orders, it may take an extra few days to ship."

I've read a lot of reviews and found nothing but good things about Ginex primers and am happy to give them my money when US manufacturers can't be bothered to provide us with the US made products we've been asking for. There was no hazmat charge which I assume Global Ordnance buried in the price. With other sites listing hazmat at $25, the real price would have been $425/5K. Shipping seemed reasonable at $13 and of course PRoM got their cut of $27 for a total of $489.95 USD.

Forgot to state that now that I have purchased these over priced primers the price will surely drop and the availability go up. Of course I just looked and they were 12 cents plus tax, shipping and hazmat...

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Man, I need some Fed LPP. Preferably at non-extortionate prices. C'mon kygunco!

I wanna say PowderValley had some this week, but I wasn't watching for them as I just picked up a case of CCI LPP from KYGC. I'll try to keep an eye out.

If you can use Fed #155 Magnum LPPs, I may have a brick available if/when my case of CCI arrives (today?) But I am pretty far away from most other MDS'ers..

Last edited:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    LG just dropped Fed LPP and MLPP

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    LG just dropped Fed LPP and MLPP

I managed to snag some off Midsouth, thankfully. :) 3k should hold me for any reasonable amount of revolver use for a while... my Winchesters seem to work fine in my 1911s and 2011s.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Pistol primers seem to be pretty common again, although not cheap. And I've even found small rifle primers, again at more than double the cost of three years ago. But what's going on with large rifle primers? Why are they still unobtanium? Is there that much more pistol primer production capacity, or is there some customer sucking up huge numbers of large, but not small, rifle primers?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Pistol primers seem to be pretty common again, although not cheap. And I've even found small rifle primers, again at more than double the cost of three years ago. But what's going on with large rifle primers? Why are they still unobtanium? Is there that much more pistol primer production capacity, or is there some customer sucking up huge numbers of large, but not small, rifle primers?
    Lack of supply and growing demand, hunting season, you name it. The MidSouth link I dropped actually had Fed Mag LRPs, but they sold out within minutes. So as soon as they come in stock, they get sucked up by demand.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Presumably more people are loading LRP due to a shortage of hunting rounds.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Presumably more people are loading LRP due to a shortage of hunting rounds.
    Hopefully that's the case. Hunters generally don't shoot a lot of rounds, so once they have a brick of primers, they're good for a decade or two. So once Fall deer season comes and goes nationwide, maybe we'll see higher availability.

For guys like me who load antique cartridges and those with oddball C&Rs, there's never been an alternative to rolling your own and the LRP shortage is a showstopper because there simply isn't commercial production of these rounds.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I would be curious to see primer sales figures by size. My guess is that since a manufacturer typically wants to run large batches on a production line, they'd likely see a dual purpose of meeting more pent up demand and achieving a more profitable run by first concentrating on small pistol and small rifle, over the large sizes of either.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Remember for over a year, everyone was begging/pleading for SPP and SRP, and it took a while but now the supply chain is relatively flush with them (but not the prices we were use to). Now everyone has run out of LRP and they are getting gobbled up as soon as they hit the shelves. This too will pass, but the curve is long and slow these days in FJB's shadow.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Molly's Place in Kennedyville showing Federal LPP & Remington SPP in stock in store. Will ship (don't know costs) or pick up in store. I live 30 miles away so I just drive down.
    As of Tuesday they also had SRPs in stock at store.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Molly's Place in Kennedyville showing Federal LPP & Remington SPP in stock in store. Will ship (don't know costs) or pick up in store. I live 30 miles away so I just drive down.
    Last I heard, Molly's gave you a free backend violation when you purchased those. And not a soft gentle one.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky

F&@$ Molly’s

When primers were still almost available for $50-$60 they were selling for $140. They are On The list to never do biz with again, but you do you…

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hopefully that's the case. Hunters generally don't shoot a lot of rounds, so once they have a brick of primers, they're good for a decade or two. So once Fall deer season comes and goes nationwide, maybe we'll see higher availability.

For guys like me who load antique cartridges and those with oddball C&Rs, there's never been an alternative to rolling your own and the LRP shortage is a showstopper because there simply isn't commercial production of these rounds.
    Fortunately, I've never gotten into the real screw ball rifle cartridges.

But I have with pistols. Sadly.

My rifle stuff can all be had commercially, though some is stupid not to handload. For instance, my rifle cartridges are .223, .30 carbine, .308, .30-06, 7.62x39 and...6.5 grendel. That last one commercial ammo right now is about 4-5x more expensive than I can handload for.

The other stuff it makes sense to reload for also, but I can find it. For awhile there, 6.5 Grendel completely disappeared and there isn't that much of it around right now.

For pistol, my real oddball is 7.62x25, followed by 9 Mak. I also have a chubby for 32acp, which is just stupid expensive to buy compared to reloading cost. I picked up several thousand .312 100gr bullets from American reloading a couple of months back. They work great on top of 1.8gr of BE (not a load I'd shoot out of an aluminum/plastic 32, but my Cz50 and Yugo 70 are happy as a clam with them and fresh recoil springs). Anyway, I got most of it for just under 5 cents a bullet. Neither one likes lead, and the Cz50 doesn't like coated lead either. It is FMJ or bust. Anyway, the powder, even at current powder prices, is like 1 cent per round. Primers are of course super expensive versus the other components, but most of my SPP I got for around 6CPP averaged price as I had a couple of bricks pre-COVID, and I got a couple of bricks early on. And then I got a case right before Midway really ramped their prices up to match everyone else's skyrocketing prices. And then a couple of bricks over the last year when I was ordering something else hazmat and they happened to be in stock for not worse than about 8CPP. So I think averaged out, I am at about 6CPP for SPP. I am not willing to price it at "replacement cost" as I've got sufficient SPP to keep reloading for probably at least 5 years, and maybe closer to 10 at the rate I am going. Anyway, my total cost is around 10-11CPR on 32acp, vs 50CPR+ on commercial 32acp.

My LRP have not come cheap. But I snagged a brick pre-COVID in preparation for starting to reload (I was just getting components, dies, etc. the fall before COVID hit, but didn't start reloading until spring of 2020. So sadly I had not gotten a TON of stuff yet since I was dipping my toes as far as I was concerned). And then a brick of CCI NATO LRPs for about 9CPP almost with a brick of something else (so like 10CPP shipped) from midway last year. And then Brownell's just started getting Remington primers in and they had LRPs, so I jumped some of them.

At this point the only primers I have 0 of, are LRPM. But I don't own anything that would take one and I have NO plans to for awhile. Some day I'll get a 300WSM or similar. But that day is a long time from now.

Of course, I thought the same for LPM primers because I had no plans to get a 44 Magnum or anything else like that and then fell into a steal of a deal on a DW 44 Mag and just had to buy it. Fortunately, I had a couple bricks of Winchester LPM which can be used for both standard and magnum loads. Plus a couple more bricks of CCI LPP, and I am liking a load of 9/9.5gr of TG with a 240gr coated/plated bullet on top of it. Decently stout recoil without punishing the gun or my wrist. I'll work up some true magnum loads. Probably around 1300fps out of the 6" barrel for a 300gr hard cast for bears (with the hope/plan to hit about 1200fps out of the 2.5" barrel) and about 1400fps for a 240gr XTP out of the 6" barrel for deer. Not like I need to shoot a load all that much of either of those. I got 2 boxes of 240gr XTP last week and I'll pick up and split a 400-bullet box of MBC 300gr "hammer" hard cast coated bullets with a buddy for the bear loads. That is 400 rounds total I can load (I am going to try H110). Odds are high the 200 of each is likely 5-10 years of shooting. I like light recoiling stuff. The heavy revolver makes shooting fairly stiff stuff enjoyable, but stiff in comparison to trying to shoot that stuff out of a, say, 30oz revolver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom