• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Picked up a few today. Brand new and solid. Price is reasonable too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 20.39.56.jpg
      Screenshot 2020-12-30 at 20.39.56.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 1,096

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Picked up a few today. Brand new and solid. Price is reasonable too.

Serious question. I bought one like that from Walmart for $9.99 2 years ago. Is there a difference between this one and the one sold in Walmart?

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have a dozen+ of those from HF, they are actually better than the similar cans from EBay and Amazon and the rubber seal for the lid works well. Some similar cans Ive purchased then given away would not stack well, my HF cans stack perfectly. IMO can’t beat them for the $.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Some of the ones I have gotten from HF and Walmart over the years have been 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter (in height) than the surplus ones I normally use.
    2 different standards? (china vs US?) or shoddy QC?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Some of the ones I have gotten from HF and Walmart over the years have been 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter (in height) than the surplus ones I normally use.

Shoddy QC. The one made in China isn't about mil spec since the US military isn't buying them. I'm sure they don't care. Hey, we are running short of metal on this last 2,000 cans, let cut it 1/2 inch short. It is a can so who cares, right?

Well, American Joe cares. The Japanese Joe cares. The German Joe cares. The Russian Joe doesn't care. It is all about culture.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I remember when these were $5 all day long, every day at every gun show. Shoulda bought more back then.

Get off my lawn.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

That would ruin the aesthetics of my ammo fort.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I've got a local friend who buys surplus pallets of ammo cans. I've picked through and gotten some nice ones with good seals. If I had any ammo, they'd have been put in hd plastic bags with redundant desiccant packs, taped up and some Vasoline around the seals (mixed reviews on that).

However, like most, I haven't had ammo in a looooong time. Almost as long as my last boating accident.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I've got a local friend who buys surplus pallets of ammo cans. I've picked through and gotten some nice ones with good seals. If I had any ammo, they'd have been put in hd plastic bags with redundant desiccant packs, taped up and some Vasoline around the seals (mixed reviews on that).

However, like most, I haven't had ammo in a looooong time. Almost as long as my last boating accident.

:tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:
    Not a good idea to use Vaseline or other petroleum products on rubber or neoprene seals it will deteriorate seals. Use a silicone based lubricant that you can get a pool supply store or online.

Be really careful about how much you put in the ammo cans from harbor freight. If you make them too heavy the little folded tabs that hold the handle to the can itself bend and the handle comes off. I found out the hard way with a full can of 9 mm reloads. They also rust pretty damn quickly if you let them get wet

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom