• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am done trying this. I have been sitting around post surgery trying, watching ToolAA's video, Youtube, etc. For some reason, I cannot download Chirp. It keeps reverting me back to "Do you want to allow your computer..." I must have downloaded it 25 times, but can't open it.
    Does anybody want to buy some brand new Baofeng F8+III radios with the programming cord? If not, I will find great pleasure beating them with a hammer.
    I haven't been this frustrated since trying to get laid in high school.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I am done trying this. I have been sitting around post surgery trying, watching ToolAA's video, Youtube, etc. For some reason, I cannot download Chirp. It keeps reverting me back to "Do you want to allow your computer..." I must have downloaded it 25 times, but can't open it.
    Does anybody want to buy some brand new Baofeng F8+III radios with the programming cord? If not, I will find great pleasure beating them with a hammer.
    I haven't been this frustrated since trying to get laid in high school.

Is the download failing or is it a problem running the .exe file?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Supposedly Chirp is going through a rewrite to python3. It was programmed in python2 and that is now obsolete and depreciated as of Jan 2021.

I did find instructions to keep it going on my Ubuntu system using Fastpak.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    What is CHIRP

Well, just from reading the posts above yours, its pretty clear that:

- it is software
    - that you can download
    - that is written in python
    - that can be used to program Baofeng radios
    - there are instructive videos on youtube on how to use it
    - squaregrouper needs to get laid

Not sure what more you need. :shrug:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Sounds like a very similar issue I had first time I downloaded CHIRP. The problem was centered around Apple's OS. After I changed the security settings it was GTG. Not a techhie-- but I finally did get it to work. Good Luck SG, I know the frustration all too well.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Failure to recognize/communicate with the radio is often freeing up the correct comm port and then manually selecting it. Another biggie is using the correct software driver for the chip in the cable. The USB plug end has an interpreter chip in it, its not just a wire connecting the computer to the radio. There is specific software for each style of chip. Some budget cable makers use counterfeit chips that are hard to wrangle and there are some cables themselves that are complete counterfeits.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Sounds like a very similar issue I had first time I downloaded CHIRP. The problem was centered around Apple's OS. After I changed the security settings it was GTG. Not a techhie-- but I finally did get it to work. Good Luck SG, I know the frustration all too well.

That's probably SG's problem. There might be a Youtube on it somewhere, but I don't need YT for that, I have a contract with an IT person on call, its called a marriage license - LOL

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    lol, worked fine for me and my Baofengs. I actually have a pretty rocking config, too, courtesy of the F3 Tactical class.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Failure to recognize/communicate with the radio is often freeing up the correct comm port and then manually selecting it. Another biggie is using the correct software driver for the chip in the cable. The USB plug end has an interpreter chip in it, its not just a wire connecting the computer to the radio. There is specific software for each style of chip. Some budget cable makers use counterfeit chips that are hard to wrangle and there are some cables themselves that are complete counterfeits.

I agree with;

--check/change security settings (esp "download from other/open sources") if CHIRP not downloading. Also, sometimes with my VPN running some downloads are blocked

--checking Port settings. It may default to a nonavailable port.

--get original Baofeng cable

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Have had it working well for some time on a Win 10 PC. Make sure to be logged on as administrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have had it working well for some time on a Win 10 PC. Make sure to be logged on as administrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ToolAA just walked me through it. Naptown was correct- there was something wonky with my security settings, causing my computer to refuse to accept the download. Once I ran the download as an administrator, everything went smoothly. Tomorrow I will do the programming.

Thanks everyone- especially those who helped me get laid in high school.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was going to offer screen sharing support to see what was happening, but sounds like you are good to go.

I need to check this forum more often. Lots of radio stuff in here I miss.

Using the Anytone CPS....there are things in CHIRP/how it does things that I really miss.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I program my radios manually, no need for software, make it easy to change/add/delete memories on the fly without a computer.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I program my radios manually, no need for software, make it easy to change/add/delete memories on the fly without a computer.

Thats a good skill to have in an emergency. I made a small cheatsheet laminated with clear packing tap. I tuck inside of the battery compartment. It gets a little crinkled but in a jam if I need to program a repeater station I can pull it out and refresh my memory.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thats a good skill to have in an emergency. I made a small cheatsheet laminated with clear packing tap. I tuck inside of the battery compartment. It gets a little crinkled but in a jam if I need to program a repeater station I can pull it out and refresh my memory.

I was taught, at a very early time in my amateur days, manual programming first, and then you can use short cuts. Manual programming never fails, and you always have it when you need it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Between here and the Baofeng forums you're the only one who feels this way

I can copy and paste dozens of frequencies and descriptions in 2-3 minutes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom