• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cibergrey

Aug 14, 2019
    Ok,

So what is the deal with ak 74 rifles? The banned list seems to have no logic, with certain models "banned" and others "not banned". How does that make any sense? Now they just banned the PSA 74 after approving other AK74 rifles. What's the deal here?

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    AK-74s are not considered “Avtomat Kalashnikov semi-automatic rifles in any format” according to the state police, and it’s best not to question it.

The state police’s list isn’t binding, merely their interpretation of statute.

Patattack88

Jan 9, 2020
    Westminster
    That non binding list is what most FFLs go by in this state, if its banned they dont want any part of it. If we don’t question the PSA then whats stoping them from banning other 74s that might come out later. Its not a 47 clearly, even the century m74 or G2G!!! They gone back before why not this one.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Ok...What's the deal here?

... They gone back before why not this one.

Sadly, in Md-Stan, the 2nd question answers the first ...

What the vast majority of MD’er’s are unawares of, whether blissfully, consciously or through denial, is that, as in past history, law abiding gun owners are amongst the first to see into the menagerie awaiting all MD’er’s.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    The dealer where I got mine said it appears that MD interprets the letters 'AK' in models as a copycat where as model number that differ significantly like sl104 or NDS-2 seem to be 'ok' to sell. I had thought the original 5.45x39 would be a disqualifier but no. The kits rebuilt with new receivers such as mine with the Nodak Spud NDS-2 might be considered something other than a copycat for some reason.

And the laws don't make sense is part of it too.

Cibergrey

Aug 14, 2019
    While we're are on that topic... anyone want to explain the clusterf*ck that is the galil ace series? They didn't even get the model right. The have "Galil Ace / Galil Ace Sar /galil ace gar39 / galil ace gar51. They have the same gun on there twice, once as a copycat that should be legal sans the flash hider and one banner, one model is supposedly legal, and then the generic galil ace is banned... without specifically mentioning a model. Seriously.... who writes this shit?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    While we're are on that topic... anyone want to explain the clusterf*ck that is the galil ace series? They didn't even get the model right. The have "Galil Ace / Galil Ace Sar /galil ace gar39 / galil ace gar51. They have the same gun on there twice, once as a copycat that should be legal sans the flash hider and one banner, one model is supposedly legal, and then the generic galil ace is banned... without specifically mentioning a model. Seriously.... who writes this shit?

And the idiots didn’t even make mention of the AS007, a huge oversight by anti-gunners that we benefit from.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    The general idea is that as long as an ak doesnt share parts compatibility with the AKM, it should be okay. Hence why 308, 762x54r, 545 or 12ga ak are okay. The only 545 ak that is banned is the vepr 5.45, since its import name is "VEPR FIME AK 74 5.45", and its got AK in its name

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    The general idea is that as long as an ak doesnt share parts compatibility with the AKM, it should be okay. Hence why 308, 762x54r, 545 or 12ga ak are okay. The only 545 ak that is banned is the vepr 5.45, since its import name is "VEPR FIME AK 74 5.45", and its got AK in its name

I purchased an AK-74 from Tennessee Guns $460 in April 2001.
    I went through the MSP 77R-2 form and waiting period.
    Is this rifle forbidden to sell within the state?

Attachments

• AKM74.jpg
      AKM74.jpg
      106.5 KB · Views: 296

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    I purchased an AK-74 from Tennessee Guns $460 in April 2001.
    I went through the MSP 77R-2 form and waiting period.
    Is this rifle forbidden to sell within the state?

I don't see why not, the only banned 5.45 ak is the vepr, there should be no issues to sell that. On the side note, if you are looking to sell that rifle, I'd be glad to take that off your hands for the right price

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I don't see why not, the only banned 5.45 ak is the vepr, there should be no issues to sell that. On the side note, if you are looking to sell that rifle, I'd be glad to take that off your hands for the right price

Not now. I have too much ammo to consume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom