• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Montana's Governor has signed into law that no state or local official or jurisdiction may enforce any Federal bans or restrictions on firearms or magazines, and that no state funds are to be used to that end.

Yay, America!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The only good thing to come out of democrat initiated “Sanctuary Cities”.

I’m looking forward to see more of this type of action throughout the country. As long as some states uphold the constitution there is hope for the nation.

I’m really curious to see how 75% of rural Virginia counties respond to future 2A restrictions in their state. Or Michigan’s Upper Peninsula or most if California.

There's no such thing as a second amendment sanctuary. I don't care how many laws local or state government passes to define themselves as such. The bottom line is if the state of Montana doesn't want to enforce federal gun laws the federal government most certainly will. The same can be said for these counties in the state of Maryland and more so in Virginia where they claim second amendment sanctuary status. Sure, maybe the local constabulary won't uphold any illegal infringement but I promise you the Virginia or the Maryland State Police will step in and do the job of those who refuse to enforce those laws.

In my opinion second amendment sanctuaries are about as useful as writing letters or holding rallies to show Democrats we mean business. Lol nothing could be further from the truth.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Isn’t Oklahoma moving towards Second Amendment Sanctuary status as well? Did the governor sign the bill yet?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The bottom line is if the state of Montana doesn't want to enforce federal gun laws the federal government most certainly will.

“Most Certainly” has yet to be seen. What we are seeing is that the politicians and the executive branch subordinates seem to respond more to polls than what is legal. Should there come a time when the federal government chooses to enforce federal firearms laws on the citizens of Montana who disagree with the legality of such legislation, the question becomes this: To what degree does the local and state law enforcement agencies push back against the federal government and how much legal and political support do they have? Few federal agents who are residents of Montana are going to want to get into a serious fight between federal and state police agencies. Likewise few local LEO’s are going to want to draw down on approaching feds.

The most likely situation to me seems to be that both sides will be told to stand down. The powers who have a serious stake in the battle will not want to risk loosing the moral High ground. The boots on the ground will gladly oblige the reprieve. Everyone knows the first side to fire will be on the hot seat.

At this point a massive marketing campaign will begin from both sides.
    There will be much pressure on the citizens, business and legislatures of the state who choose to go down this path.

At that point the main stream media will begin to brand the resistance as Domestic Terrorist and the conservatives throughout the nation will do their best to garner sympathy for the cause. chooses to go down this path.

Could we then finally end up with an expedited 2A legal case where Marbury vs Madison is finally tested?

So for the record I’m still glad Montana is taking a stand at this time.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    There's no such thing as a second amendment sanctuary. I don't care how many laws local or state government passes to define themselves as such. The bottom line is if the state of Montana doesn't want to enforce federal gun laws the federal government most certainly will. The same can be said for these counties in the state of Maryland and more so in Virginia where they claim second amendment sanctuary status. Sure, maybe the local constabulary won't uphold any illegal infringement but I promise you the Virginia or the Maryland State Police will step in and do the job of those who refuse to enforce those laws.

In my opinion second amendment sanctuaries are about as useful as writing letters or holding rallies to show Democrats we mean business. Lol nothing could be further from the truth.

Local jurisdictions, sure, the state police may/may not enforce federal laws.

But 2A sanctuary at the state level?

At one time, the only power the federal had over the state was the commerce clause. I seem to remember federal school safety zones getting thrown out because SCOTUS said it had nothing to do with commerce, regardless that the law said it did.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Gotta be consistent...I disagreed with the legalities of "sanctuary cities" when it came to illegal aliens so I have to believe that 2nd Amendment sanctuary locales is just as unenforceable and possibly just as unconstitutional under the concept of federalism. I certainly sympathize with them but I believe a federal court would invalidate them. But...we live in unusual times...I can certainly see a federal court upholding sanctuary cities and invalidating 2nd Amendment sanctuaries...consistent application of law is not a thing anymore...especially when it comes from Liberal judges.

wiper

Apr 14, 2021
    Starting local and building up should make a difference. These sanctuaries might end up being purely optics, but that might be whats needed to get the ball rolling

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    In my opinion second amendment sanctuaries are about as useful as writing letters or holding rallies to show Democrats we mean business.

It's fighting fire with fire, or maybe closer to monkeys flinging poo.

If you're the monkey catching all the crap, you aren't gonna get much respect from the pack.

While I agree it's a gesture with no teeth, it serves the purpose of putting your message out there, in the same terms that are being used against you. Meanwhile, more and more states are going Shall Issue and Constitutional Carry. You'd better believe that this is being noticed by the Right People.

Living in MD, NJ, NY and CA provides a very blinkered view of the subject. It's certainly bad here, and in those other states, but the trend is big and undeniably pro-2A. That's why our would-be Totalitarians are pushing it so heavily; they understand that it is becoming increasingly unlikely that they will be able to disarm the citizens, and they're giving the fight everything they have.

They've got a year and a half to destroy the republic; after that, they're toast.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Living in MD, NJ, NY and CA provides a very blinkered view of the subject.

This is very correct. Outside of MD, in America, things are extremely different. It is very amusing the reactions I get when I travel to America and talk to people about MD's gun laws. They don't know whether to laugh or be very scared, but most of them laugh and shake their head. I've had more than one ask me if I'm joking and making it up as they stare at me in disbelief.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hey if VA can let its localities have more stringent gun laws, then uncle sam can let its states have less stringent gun laws.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    This is very correct. Outside of MD, in America, things are extremely different. It is very amusing the reactions I get when I travel to America and talk to people about MD's gun laws. They don't know whether to laugh or be very scared, but most of them laugh and shake their head. I've had more than one ask me if I'm joking and making it up as they stare at me in disbelief.

Agreed in MD people fear and bitch and whine about scary guns. In WV where I work and spend most of my time they have Constitutional Carry and I carry there. Normally I carry concealed but one time I just wanted to see how people reacted to open carry. They didnt bat an eye. And sometimes inline in a store people would say even thank you and make comments like if a shooter comes in they will gain attention to give me time to shoot. Its totally different outside of MD

Mr H

Banana'd
    Starting local and building up should make a difference. These sanctuaries might end up being purely optics, but that might be whats needed to get the ball rolling

IMO, it started with the sheriffs who joined in the Sheriff Mack pledge and CSPOA.

Sheriffs should be the cornerstone of all local LE operations, but for MT to do this on the state level is better.

As for the thought that the Feds will do what they want? OK, Nancy, but that's not your job. The Constitution says so.

Minor

May 17, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Sad - it’s actually a thought that we need a sanctuary “area” to practice our God given rights.

Fingers crossed this Fall the Supremes actually determine that our rights don’t end at the front stoop of our house. And we do have a right to defend ourselves wherever and whenever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom