• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    So I took my 5 year old to the range today. She was amazing, paid attention, and had fun. So now I'm in for it...

The only .22's I have are a Savage mark II with a Boyds stock, or a 10/22 with the ATI folding, telescopic stock. I got her pretty well set on the latter with the shortest position, but two things were bothering me. One, the pistol grip is way too far for her hands. Two, semi-auto may need to go away until she's a bit more experienced. She was decent at aiming the red dot, so I'd like to stick with it.

She's super tall for her age, more like a 6-7 year old.

Should I stick with it, and live with the downsides? Buy something like a Savage rascal? Buy a wood 10/22 stock and cut it down? Is there a way to easily load the 10/22 single shot? What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    Henry makes some great 22lr for youth. They have a bolt and a lever action set up. Teach her to use iron sights those skills will transfer into several other disciplines

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I have a clean Cricket rifle in 22. Perfect for this. Any interest? DM me.
    b2ebfdda7d7424eec92a2e8108e7e1e8.jpg

efd2807a92db5cb83b8066214b7472a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I have the same thing just pink for my daughter when she was five.

She had it on her Polaris 4wheeler along with her Barbie fishing rod. The good old says.
    I figured I would save it for the grandkids

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I prefer to start my 8 year old on a McMillan 50BMG. I think it’s best to teach them to manage recoil and noise first and foremost.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    If you can find one, a Ruger American Rimfire Compact Bolt Action. Modular stock, very easy to convert to Reg. L.O.P. when needed. Also, uses 10/22 mags. 1, 5, & 10 shot mags. available.

P.S. you can get a single shot mag. for that 10/22.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Vodnik4

Between two waters
    Jan 8, 2021
    Slower, lower MD
    I also have a Cricket, but in teal, for my daughter. She just got big enough to comfortably handle it — and she’s 45” tall.

Honestly I’m not impressed with the workmanship on the metal parts, the Rascal seems better, but Cricket is cheap, small, and comes in pretty colors to make it “her own” and get her into the sport. Little girls care more about the form than the function at this age :)

My thinking is to start her on it, if she takes to it and her skills surpass the quality of the rifle, and arms grow longer and stronger, we will upgrade her to something better.

If shooting sports are not her thing, I’m out the $80, and will pass it on to somebody else.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing with a 10/22, you can cut off the stock, replace segments as she grows, and then replace the stock when ready. PLENTY of OEM stocks out there or nice aftermarket upgrades.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you do cut the stock down, drill holes into it first from the butt end. Put dowels into said holes (then remove before cutting). The dowels can then be put back in when you go to add the stock section back on to line it up. Will still have an obvious cut line but will be as good as its going to get.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you do cut the stock down, drill holes into it first from the butt end. Put dowels into said holes (then remove before cutting). The dowels can then be put back in when you go to add the stock section back on to line it up. Will still have an obvious cut line but will be as good as its going to get.

Good idea.

I think I'm going to stick with the 10/22, but buy a wood stock. I'll chop it down to 9" LOP, then gradually add back.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I second the recommendation for starting her on iron sights. Its easy and it builds marksmanship and a real sense of accomplishment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I hear everyone on the iron sights. But I'm not going to do that. She's 5. We'll get there eventually, but for now we're not actually training marksmanship. We're just making sure she has fun and learns safe handling. So a red dot it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom