Wanna know why your M1 rifle stock has so much oil impregnated in it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wanna know why your M1 rifle stock has so much oil impregnated in it?

Take a gander here . . . Marines on Iwo Jima.

To save time, jump to the two minute mark.

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/...s-repair_rifle-dipped-in-cosmoline_small-cart

Copied from the CMP Forum

Very cool video. The caption says its being dipped in cosmoline... but that looks like used motor oil to me.

If cosmoline were warm enough to drip and run off like that he wouldn't be plunging them into it with his hands.

ETA: I may be mistaken... I see its currently sold in aerosol and liquid form as well as a grease-like substance. https://www.originalcosmoline.com/shop/original-cosmoline-rust-veto-342/

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Cracks me up when people make expansive claims about why their particular C&R item is different from all the others. They were literally stacked like cordwood , can't believe that there is much of a custody record beyond the unit level.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Very Nice footage--- hey Mac..can ya just slip one or two of each under my bunk so I can ship them home direct...

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Great clip!! A real dose of reality as to
    how our treasured firearms were once
    handled when they were “there”.

So if you project out a bit, much is
    explained. For example, if one of those
    Garands was an early one and
    had, say, a lower hand guard that was
    messed up and that had to be replaced,
    possibly with a spare from a different
    manufacturing era, we might be scratching
    our heads saying, well that clip wasn’t
    used with that serial number range…or
    that bolt is too late for that serial number.
    Makes one think as to whether a restoration
    to totally correct is a good idea.
    Anyhow, OP, a great clip - thanks!!!

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Great clip!! A real dose of reality as to
    how our treasured firearms were once
    handled when they were “there”.

So if you project out a bit, much is
    explained. For example, if one of those
    Garands was an early one and
    had, say, a lower hand guard that was
    messed up and that had to be replaced,
    possibly with a spare from a different
    manufacturing era, we might be scratching
    our heads saying, well that clip wasn’t
    used with that serial number range…or
    that bolt is too late for that serial number.
    Makes one think as to whether a restoration
    to totally correct is a good idea.
    Anyhow, OP, a great clip - thanks!!!

Agree. People lament over "Mix Masters" but I always think to myself, this is just the journey a firearm has gone on. I have an m1 and all the parts are correct Springfield except the bolt and barrel (HRA/Criterion). So it was swapped at CMP likely. Might get around to finding a NOS bolt and a period correct barrel once the life leaves the barrel currently on it, might not. Rifle looks good and shoots good.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The real reason the rifles are being dipped in oil is because of the corrosive nature of the sulpher and volcanic remnants/activity on Iwo.
    If you could ever see the after/ combat reports from the corps for small arms on the island it indicates rifles seizing/malfunction in about 4-6 hrs or so.
    Evidently the environment was such that they were being eaten right up even while not placed into immediate use because of the conditions, salt water etc.
    Maybe it was recent GCA or somewhere online the reports/dox can be found for reading.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    The real reason the rifles are being dipped in oil is because of the corrosive nature of the sulpher and volcanic remnants/activity on Iwo.
    If you could ever see the after/ combat reports from the corps for small arms on the island it indicates rifles seizing/malfunction in about 4-6 hrs or so.
    Evidently the environment was such that they were being eaten right up even while not placed into immediate use because of the conditions, salt water etc.
    Maybe it was recent GCA or somewhere online the reports/dox can be found for reading.

The most recent issue of GCA Journal had an article on after action reports.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The most recent issue of GCA Journal had an article on after action reports.

Yep P19 however it reads if oil was used sparingly, maybe that bunch didn't get the memo.
    Somewhere in one of the vaults I have a jap rifle impregnated with black sandy grit. The inside of the rifle, chiefly the in-letting is covered with a nasty black axle type of grease all caked together with bits of rust and grime. Also has a broken wrist with intact mum.
    Only thing that wasn't affected too badly is the chrome bolt face and mag well- internals and such.
    Have no idea how it all got there but it's a pretty good one for being around the block some.
    Sometimes you see British empire rifles painted or greased in the barrel channel reinforce area. Green, or remnants of it

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Very cool video. The caption says its being dipped in cosmoline... but that looks like used motor oil to me.

If cosmoline were warm enough to drip and run off like that he wouldn't be plunging them into it with his hands.

ETA: I may be mistaken... I see its currently sold in aerosol and liquid form as well as a grease-like substance. https://www.originalcosmoline.com/shop/original-cosmoline-rust-veto-342/
    I like how he leans over the vat with a lit cigarette...:lol2:

fogman

Is it oil or military bore cleaner? I've got a small bottle I inherited from my father. I assume he got from one if his Navy buddies while he was in the service. He kept it in a glass mouthwash bottle with just a handwritten "military bore cleaner" label. It's not like military bore cleaner from the green can. It has a thicker oil like consistency

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom