Rifle serial number tracing? Don't want a hot gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    There is the question. I have been in the market for a SKS rifle for quite some time. (So what if it has actually been almost 30 years or so when a SKS was $89 at Rose's on the Eastern Shore.) I have a line on one for a fair price from a private individual. I would like to make sure the rifles history is clean before I purchase it. It saves answering lots of questions from the MAN later if it comes to that.
    Does anyone know of where to go and do this? I do not have ownership of the rifle at this time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's simple for you nowdays , all Transfers have to go thru an FFL ( ie no more private sales) .

It's simple for you nowdays , all Transfers have to go thru an FFL ( ie no more private sales) .

There is no: make, model, serial number, etc. involved in a Federal NICS check. The only thing the feds know is that John James Doe applied to purchase a firearm on a certain date.
    The gun's info is on the 4473, but that info stays with the FFL unless they're audited or go out of business.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes . BUT :

Absolves the purchaser of any legal jeopardy.

The Seller has to give his In information to ( FFL) , so would discourage any sellers of stolen guns from doing so .

******************\*\

And I'm spinning in circles feeling sick , by giving appearance of supporting this , after having lobbied against it . For the Record , the Universal Registration is a Bad Thing , and should be variously challenged, appealed ,overturned , repealed , and all combination thereof .

But in a vacuum , the OP may purchase any rifle he wish using current required scheme with clear conscience .

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Get a receipt from the seller to prove where you got it. With today’s ffl transfer requirement , you’ll get that

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Saves you from answering what questions? It will be transferred through an FFL, just buy it and stop worrying about it.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Saves you from answering what questions? It will be transferred through an FFL, just buy it and stop worrying about it.

:thumbsup:

I would be more worried about the next used car I buy having someones' drugs left behind under a seat or down in the cracks before I would be worried about the possibility of an SKS being used in a past crime.

Neither is likely, but I would bet the forgotten or lost drug thing is much more likely.

Now if you said you had a line on a well used Glock in Balmer County with three mismatched rounds that come with it...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I mean, if you really DO want to keep worrying about it, if it turns out it was stolen then it’ll get repossessed for the rightful owner and you’ll have zero recourse except trying to pursue whomever sold it to you.

Likely an exceedingly low chance if that.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Also, FFL 03's will have a bound book that shows their purchase, especially if it was purchased from a dealer, that would give some idea of purchase history.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    It is official!
    This sale has fallen through. From the current owner I got "I ain't takin this to a gun shop so you can buy it. I'll just stick it back in the closet with the other ones."

Nutz. Oh well. There are more SKS rifles out there. The trick will be finding a cheap SKS rifle. I guess I will go back to slumming for cheap AR parts.

And NO. You can't have the guys name. This sale has fallen through, but it ain't over until the fat lady sings. (Does anyone know what that means anymore?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom