Diver's belt weights - lead composition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    When my parents bought their other house years ago they found a bunch of what look like lead diver's belt weights. Anyone know their general composition? Aka are they suited for being melted down for reloading? He thought about scrapping then lately but I said they may be worth more to a reloader than just general scrap

I'll get the 3% joke out of the way right now

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    When my parents bought their other house years ago they found a bunch of what look like lead diver's belt weights. Anyone know their general composition? Aka are they suited for being melted down for reloading? He thought about scrapping then lately but I said they may be worth more to a reloader than just general scrap

I'll get the 3% joke out of the way right now

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?31923-Are-SCUBA-weights-pure-lead

Im going with 3% antimony of course

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I don't cast. Trying to figure out if they are useful to a reloader or if I should just take them to scrap

I have 6 and use them all the time for different chit. I was in the same position but I’m glad i didn’t. I use them all the time randomly

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Back in the day many divers had a mold and made their own and since they were only interested in the weight they would use anything that was heavy and could be melted. Sometimes lead, or wheel weights, or zinc, or solder, or linotype or combination of some or all of the above.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Is it just me or did it get a bit hot in here at the mention of lead diver weights of unknown composition? I'd take a turn melting it down, please? lol

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I dunno melt them. Thats old school. When I was a diver I used steel pellets in soft bags.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    There is an easy way to find out.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014E2S0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Staedtler-lumograph-12.jpg

Pencil_hardness_versus_lead_alloy_hardness2-653x455.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can start by checking the density.

Submerge in water and see how the volume goes up. And weigh them.

Mostly they are pure lead, as most things you would alloy with them would make them lighter.

And when I dove, they were obviously very soft.

I would bet they are close to pure lead.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can also use a hardness tester (not expensive) and I agree with Pinecone, as a long-time diver, they were pretty much always pure, soft lead for the max density.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I got my start with 70lbs of dive belt lead. Crummy for muzzle loader balls I learned the hard way and just fine for 9mm tumble coated I found.
    When I learned about soft pure lead for ML, I dedicated a new pot to pure lead and used the dive weight lead and wheel weight lead in another. Eventually got a Lee hardness tester and dropped lead into muffin tin cups and marked the hardness after testing. Variation was everywhere from 10-15. Once I marked them I could regulate things better blending to match getting close to 12-13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom