• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Pretty sure my 6" GP100 is my favorite handgun.

I really feel like a double action .357 magnum revolver is one of the great handguns of the world and a 6" GP100 is one of its purest forms. It's a substantial gun for a substantial round. There are more elegant designs but that one is (in my opinion) hard to beat for sheer glorious function.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    can't comment on the rihno , never laid hands on one . i love my GP100 . it's a great gun to shoot , 38's to play with , 357 to get the job done .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Another Smith fan here. I have the 6" Model 27 and the 6" 686. Love 'em both. Once had a 357 Ruger Redhawk in 357 that I liked pretty well. I have handled the GP100 and the SP101. Both are nice guns. I don't like the look of the Rhino. Have never shot one, but have handled one and I am not too sure I liked the feel that well. The low bore axis might be desirable when dealing with recoil....although 357 recoil in my Smiths is quite manageable.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    As a long time revolver collector and shooter, I can tell you you won't go wrong with the Ruger in terms strength and overall quality, but they lack refinement in finish and mechanics.The Rhino could be problematic because of the excessive number of parts inherent to the design. I own neither for those very reasons, but I have fired a lot of Ruger D/A revolvers, and they are decent guns for the money. Never shot a Chiappa. Based on my experience, I'd recommend an older S&W model such as 27-2 or 28-2. The are exactly the same mechanically, but the 28 is sort of plain jane and the 27 has a nicer finish. The dash two's can still be at found fairly reasonable prices. You absolutely can't tell the difference when shooting them. Other nice ones to consider from S&W would be 19/66, 586/686, all in older configurations. I like the older Colts as well, but their current market is inflated. Seems like you have no bad choices. Good luck

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Colt Trooper IIIs are less expensive than new S&W revolvers. But since you asked about Ruger versus Chiappa, I'd go with the Ruger. I've owned a couple of GP100s in 357. If you run out of ammo, they make excellent bludgeons.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Notice how many "experts" have never shot a Rhino but still advocate their favorite revolver?

Shoot one, then decide. They are ugly as sin and the "hammer" (not actually a hammer but looks like one) is very stiff for SA mode. The Rugers, Smiths et al do much better in this area.

What a traditional 357 will not do, is transmit recoil directly along the axis of your shooting arm/wrist like a Rhino which was the whole point of the design. There is virtually no muzzle flip and the recoil (to me) is like a 380 or 22lr).

I've never shot one w/ a 6" barrel but the 3" 2000 is a ***** cat to shoot mag loads out of. I assume the 6" version would be even better. Rhinos are also lighter than most traditional revolvers. Shoot one, then decide. YMMV

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Given we're talking .357, it's seriously hard to see how the Chiappa is in any serious head to head competition with with the GP100, given the location of manufacture, quality and customer service. With possible deer hunting in the equation, I'd be inclined to go with a .44 Mag based on personal preference for possible longer shots. However, if convinced that .357's the answer for my max range needs, I'd opt for the Ruger with a 6' barrel every time.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Will Chiappa be around if you need parts or service later? That's a lot of cash for a revolver. Hate to see it turn into a paperweight.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Notice how many "experts" have never shot a Rhino but still advocate their favorite revolver?

Shoot one, then decide. They are ugly as sin and the "hammer" (not actually a hammer but looks like one) is very stiff for SA mode. The Rugers, Smiths et al do much better in this area.

What a traditional 357 will not do, is transmit recoil directly along the axis of your shooting arm/wrist like a Rhino which was the whole point of the design. There is virtually no muzzle flip and the recoil (to me) is like a 380 or 22lr).

I've never shot one w/ a 6" barrel but the 3" 2000 is a ***** cat to shoot mag loads out of. I assume the 6" version would be even better. Rhinos are also lighter than most traditional revolvers. Shoot one, then decide. YMMV

Ugh. Now I am going to have to try to track down someone who has one and wouldn’t mind letting me shoot it and/or call ranges around here that might have one for rent. At least I’ve got some time as I probably am not going to start seriously looking till September or October due to limited free time until then.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I really feel like a double action .357 magnum revolver is one of the great handguns of the world and a 6" GP100 is one of its purest forms. It's a substantial gun for a substantial round. There are more elegant designs but that one is (in my opinion) hard to beat for sheer glorious function.

I couldn't agree more, honestly.

Function > form, forever.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Considering the Hogue grip for the .357 if they're available. Love these two pistols...

Attachments

• Rugers.jpg
      Rugers.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads