• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockenspiel

Jul 15, 2021
    Own Banned AR Purchased Prior to 2013, but no Receipt. Should I add a Heavy Barrel?

Hi Everybody,

I'm moving to Maryland (I know... don't) and have a banned Bushmaster AR. It was given to me legally as a gift by someone living in the same state as me well before 2013. I have no documentation of this however as it was a gift. I have multiple witnesses who know I had the rifle before 2013.

To be extra safe I thought about changing it to a heavy barrel, and take the opportunity to free float it. However, if I do that, should I still register it as a banned rifle? Presumably, registering it as a grandfathered banned rifle means I negate the advantage of having it be a nonbanned "HBAR" AR. In addition, the lower would still say "Bushmaster" so it isn't clear to me whether it would still be a banned gun.

Thanks

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I thought pre-13 banned rifles we're still good to go, but needed to be registered.

The burden is on the state to prove you didn't own it before '13. Not on you to prove you did.

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    Maryland is like other communist zones in America. You are guilty until proven innocent. They’ll confiscate your legally owned property until you prove your innocence then they’ll just keep your property. Welcome to Marylandistan!

Glockenspiel

Jul 15, 2021
    I guess the crossroad is, if I ever want to bring it into MD (meaning the Bushmaster marked lower, with the standard barrel installed on the upper), I need to register within 90 days of establishing residency. But it sounds like that's not a problem, even if I don't have a receipt that I owned it before 2013? I've had it since 2004 or 2005, and can think of about half a dozen people who were aware of this.

If I get a heavy barrel and different lower I think that would legally be a different gun I could get at any time.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you make it a heavy barrel you are legal. If you keep it in original configuration you will need to register it but will also be legal. You can also make it a heavy barrel and keep the original upper for legal use out of state.

For interaction with LE purposes any law enforcement officer can start a gun trace request. They will contact the FBI NICS sytem which will show dates of transfer from manufacturer to distributor to dealer to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP stated it was a private gift in a state where then legal , circa 2004 , so the default basic search wouldn't come back to OP .

But IF :

Gun was actually mfg before 2013
    Gun was initially sold to consumer prior to 2013 .

OP was plausibly of legal age before 2013 and legal resident of state in discussion simultaneously prior to 2013 .

Even a deep check of NICS or other similar databases is negitive response for any sighting of that S/N by anyone else subsequent to OP's purported pre 2013 aquisition .

Then there would be no grounds to dispute OP's Grandfather Status .

That said , the real issue is the word Bushmaster on the side .

( Yes , it's bogus , we know it's bogus , MSP knows or should know it's bogus , they know we know that they know it's bogus . But that's their imaginary interpretation , and they're sticking to it .)

IDFInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2013
    Nomad
    It's like moths to a flame. It's like people don't get it! If you are dumb enough to register your rifle with the police they are going to determine whether they take it away or not! Then you will have to spend tons of time and money to get it back! (which you won't!) It's a f@ck!ng trap and people keep falling for it over and over and over again!

Here's just one example out of many and this person's friend bought his rifle in Maryland originally!

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=258357&highlight=confiscated

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Can you get a letter from the person who gifted?
    Can you get also a letter from bushmaster stating serial number and date of mfg?
    Worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you make it a heavy barrel you are legal. If you keep it in original configuration you will need to register it but will also be legal. You can also make it a heavy barrel and keep the original upper for legal use out of state.

For interaction with LE purposes any law enforcement officer can start a gun trace request. They will contact the FBI NICS sytem which will show dates of transfer from manufacturer to distributor to dealer to you.

THIS

Glockenspiel

Jul 15, 2021
    Biggfoot is correct that there's no paperwork because it was in another state that didn't require a transfer, I was over 18, etc.

I can probably get a letter from the gifter regarding it. I'll see if bushmaster can send me something about the date.

I think I'm either going to register it or leave it out of state and build a new heavy barrel one. I don't think there's a case like this, so I'm just guessing adding a barrel to avoid registering a preexisting banned rifle might be looked at negatively.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Has anyone here on the board ever had their AR checked at a range for legality?

The issue, because the law is so crappy and is so convoluted, is that it's hard to tell what is and isn't legal without a close examination of that particular weapon.

Here's a perfect example. Hypothetically let's say a guy has two AR builds - one is on a pre-2013 lower that was purchased and transferred via the MSP and the 7-day wait. The other one was built on an 80% lower.

The upper on the 80 lower is an actual HBAR upper, but the upper on the 2013 lower is not, and doesn't have to be. Both guns are perfectly legal, but there is no way to really know what's what unless you really dig around and look at them closely. Both are legal for what they are, but it would take some doing to truly figure it out. A person would have to look for roll marks, engravings, dates, check paperwork, etc, before they could truly make a determination of whether or not those guns were legal or not, and even then, it would take a situation, such as being used in the commission of a crime, before that level of scrutiny would be applied.

Question: When you guys go to the range taking your legally purchased and transferred pistols, do you take a copy of your transfer paperwork with you? Neither do I.

To the OP I would suggest to get a letter from the person who gifted it to you, and to have that letter witnessed and notarized. Then, go and use that AR in a legal manner like you would any other firearm you own. The only way it will ever matter is if you get busted committing a crime with it, and at that point you'll have bigger fish to fry.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    What does 2013 have to do with anything in this case? The gun is being brought in from out of state. MD's laws had nothing to do with its purchase. It should just be like any other gun brought in to the state that has to* be registered.

*your definition of "has to" may vary.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What does 2013 have to do with anything in this case? The gun is being brought in from out of state. MD's laws had nothing to do with its purchase. It should just be like any other gun brought in to the state that has to* be registered.

*your definition of "has to" may vary.
    The first rule of "I'm moving to Maryland and bringing my guns" club....

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You don’t need documentation, you legally owned it before 2013. Just register it and be done with it. No need for anything else.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    2013 has a lot to do with it , if it's a non- HBAR .

Why? If purchased legally in another state, what difference does it make to MD whether it was bought in 2020 or 2000? If it's a "banned" platform now in MD, then it needs to be registered either way. It's not like he bought it to skirt MD rules...he probably had no idea he was moving to MD when he got that gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The same Grandfather rules apply if initially purchased in Md or elsewhere . If not Grandfathered , an incoming new resident could not bring it ( Banned Rifle) into the state at all .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom