• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Anything we need to know?

We currently live in Frederick, MD.

My partner is being forced to retire (corporate BS) by the end of 2021. She turned 62 a couple of weeks ago.

I would like to work for 5 more years and keeping my current job would be really good. Since Covid I work 100% at home, with occasional visits to Rockville.

We're looking at the Milford area. According to Google it's about 2 hours to Rockville, which is doable. Right now it looks like once a week maximum. If we went back to the office full time I could do it for a little while, but would need to make some kind of change. The chances of that appear low. My current Rockville to Frederick record is 3 hours, 10 minutes.

We really like Lewes, but $$$$.

Delaware housing, at least in areas we're interested in seems comparable to Frederick prices, but property tax is less than half.

We have a few goals:
    1. Reduce cost of living.
    2. Keep my job for at least a few years.
    3. Friendlier retirement tax situation.
    4. Get closer to water.
    5. Escape the People's Republic of Maryland.

I don't own any class 3 items, so no worries on that front.

I've read about the transfer of vehicles into DE, inspection ,etc.

Any insights would be appreciated!

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    You're escaping the MD taxes but not the other BS.

Small Town police will hit you for 3 mph over limit in places. That's how they make their bones

Overall very nice people from all our trips to my FiL place. He was near smirna

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I can't give you anything actually useful, but I did have family move in to Milford within the last year. One pretty much downtown and the other in the new housing they're putting up just outside the town. One couple is nearing retirement and the other just became empty nesters. They all love it, they feel so much more relaxed (coming from San Diego and New Jersey). It's close to the beaches, and it is an easy drive to Philly/Baltimore/DC (beach traffic permitting). So I think your location choice is pretty solid.

As far as laws I'm familiar with, they're open carry without a permit but I haven't seen anyone around Milford doing so when I've been there. They do issue CCWs but one of the requirements is running your name and address in the newspaper and that bothers a lot of people. But they are actually obtainable. The 17+ round magazine ban didn't make it through the legislature this year, so that's nice too.

Sorry I don't have any of the more useful details, my wife doesn't want to move yet so I've only been making broad inquiries.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    You are not going to go from Milford, DE to Rockville, MD in 2 hours in the summer over the Bay bridge or 95 North unless you are flying your small plane.

Does it even take 2 hours in the winter? I thought it would be longer.

It takes 1.5 hours from Crofton, MD to Felton, DE when traffic is light.

Crofton, MD to the Bay bridge is 30 minutes. Felton, DE to Milford, DE is 15 minutes.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Milford is really a small town. Find a quiet place to buy or rent. You will like it since you won't be far from Lewis or Rehoboth. It isn't busy like Rockville, MD for sure.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yeah, 5 years of DE to Rockville is going to get real old real fast. I addition to the beach traffic, the traffic on the Capitol beltway sucks, you will be going in the "with" traffic direction on it during rush hour and it only takes a small accident to f' it up for hours. If you work in north Rockville then taking ICC could remove some of the nightmare.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    My brother in-law lives about two miles outside of Milford. His property tax is almost half of what I pay in MD and our square footage is similar. The lack of sales tax is a big plus. In a year or so after my wife retires, the Milford Delaware area is one of the places we are strongly considering.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Costal DE is being invaded by NJ and NY(C) escapees. I fully expect them to bring their old habits with them. Reduced property taxes is a huge benefit. We have a little vacation place in Selbyville near 54 and the change over the last 10 years has been noticeable. Doesn't help that its also not NFA friendly. I double that is going to get better.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    My brother-in-law just retired from the Air Force, moved to Bridgeville De. and now works in the same capacity at Andrews AFB. He appears to love Delaware but stays in Md at a daughter's house during the week. My wife and I are discussing a similar move.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Thanks everybody!

Yeah, 5 years of DE to Rockville is going to get real old real fast. I addition to the beach traffic, the traffic on the Capitol beltway sucks, you will be going in the "with" traffic direction on it during rush hour and it only takes a small accident to f' it up for hours. If you work in north Rockville then taking ICC could remove some of the nightmare.

Trust me 15 years of Frederick to Rockville damn near killed me.

It will be between once a month and once a week mostly outside of rush hour. If it gets to be more will have to re-evaluate.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    As far as laws I'm familiar with, they're open carry without a permit but I haven't seen anyone around Milford doing so when I've been there. They do issue CCWs but one of the requirements is running your name and address in the newspaper and that bothers a lot of people. But they are actually obtainable. The 17+ round magazine ban didn't make it through the legislature this year, so that's nice too.

Sorry I don't have any of the more useful details, my wife doesn't want to move yet so I've only been making broad inquiries.

Since you dont have class 3, you're ok.

OC is legal.

CCDW will take you 1 year BEFORE you can apply. You WILL need 5 character references that have know you for NO LESS THAN 1 year. Their BS added, since you will be a resident <5 yrs, you'll need a FULL NOTARIZED copy of your driving record from MD. Name & address in paper as stated above. Training class. Then after that and all submitted the eternal WAIT for it to be delivered. But since you're NOT NCC, it will not be as bad.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE

OC is legal.

CCDW will take you 1 year BEFORE you can apply. You WILL need 5 character references that have know you for NO LESS THAN 1 year. Their BS added, since you will be a resident <5 yrs, you'll need a FULL NOTARIZED copy of your driving record from MD. Name & address in paper as stated above. Training class. Then after that and all submitted the eternal WAIT for it to be delivered. But since you're NOT NCC, it will not be as bad.
    Thanks.

Still pretty easy compared to MD.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

OC is legal.

This is incorrect. You do not have to be a resident of DE for at least 1 year to get a CCDW.

The only stipulation there is that you know the individual references in the county you applied in for 1 year.

The fastest turnaround I've seen was for my father. 8 days from the day the app was submitted he had his permit in hand (Sussex County) a few years ago. Most I've heard are less than 30 days (Kent/Sussex). 90 days in NCC.

radnor

Jan 31, 2010
    Delaware
    The only stipulation there is that you know the individual references in the county you applied in for 1 year.

The fastest turnaround I've seen was for my father. 8 days from the day the app was submitted he had his permit in hand (Sussex County) a few years ago. Most I've heard are less than 30 days (Kent/Sussex). 90 days in NCC.

You are correct, references must have known applicant for more than a year. Never thought he might know ppl here already.

As far as turnaround time, you guys in LSD have it better than us in NCC. I received a call yesterday from a friend who applied for renewal in Jan - still waiting.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    You are correct, references must have known applicant for more than a year. Never thought he might know ppl here already.

As far as turnaround time, you guys in LSD have it better than us in NCC. I received a call yesterday from a friend who applied for renewal in Jan - still waiting.

Wow, that's criminal. NCC Prothonotary has always purposefully dragged it feet on these.

Sylvester The Cat

Jun 18, 2021
    I like Delaware but I struggle with the fact that they thought Biden was a good idea for so long.

I also don't like their nasty tolls on the absolute smallest stretch of 95. I swear the East Coast tolls single handedly props their state economy up.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I like Delaware but I struggle with the fact that they thought Biden was a good idea for so long.

I also don't like their nasty tolls on the absolute smallest stretch of 95. I swear the East Coast tolls single handedly props their state economy up.

You mean like Babs/Sarbanes/Steny/Mike&Mike/Mfume/Milkdud in MD??? All relics.

NCC kept Bidet in office. SoDel's, not a fan.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I have some 20+ year friends in Kent County. My understanding is that if I apply in Sussex the references would need to live in Sussex also. Is this correct?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I have some 20+ year friends in Kent County. My understanding is that if I apply in Sussex the references would need to live in Sussex also. Is this correct?

You must live in the county that you apply, if you are a DE resident.

If you apply as a DE non-resident I would suggest Sussex County over the others. A non-resident DE CCDW is good for 30 days, and may only be renewed one time.

Non-residents are much better served with a Utah CFP as it is valid for up to 5 years IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom