Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 26th, 2021, 09:24 AM #3101

Just took the Wear & Carry Permit class at Freestate this weekend with instructor Josh Poindexter, who was great.

One thing that came up was with all the cell phone spam these days, were references not answering their phones when called by MSP. After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.

Is that the sequence ?

Any other advice for a business owner of a lighting contracting company ?

Does it matter how long its been in business as long (ie. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?

Thanks
Windsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2021, 09:24 AM #3102

Just took the Wear & Carry Permit class at Freestate this weekend with instructor Josh Poindexter, who was great.

One thing that came up was with all the cell phone spam these days, were references not answering their phones when called by MSP. After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.

Is that the sequence ?

Does it matter how long it's been in business (i.e.. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?

Thanks
Old January 26th, 2021, 03:20 PM #3103
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsors View Post
After looking through these posts, it seems like the MSP calls the applicant first and then the references, so it gives us a chance to reach out to our refences and que them up.
That's the usual pattern. In my day, sonny, we had face to face meetings with the investigator, and then they called the spouse and other references, usually that day or shortly after.

Quote:
Just have your business in good standing with the state, and make sure your representation of its structure matches reality, and you're all set.

Quote:
Does it matter how long its been in business as long (ie. LLC formed Jan 2020), but has plenty of bank transactions through 2020 and 2021 ?
It's a lot less of an issue, now. That the company exists, is in good standing, and that you're the owner or a member/partner of the LLC, should be all it takes. The number of banking transactions won't be very critical, just enough to show that you didn't form a completely idle LLC for theatrical purposes.

Good luck!
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2021, 09:01 AM #3104

Thanks Occam.
Old February 1st, 2021, 08:46 AM #3105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsors View Post

Is that the sequence ?

Thanks
Based on my recent experience NO - MSP does not always contact the applicant first. I have not yet been contacted, but 2 of my references were called this past friday.
Randomuser4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2021, 10:15 AM #3106

New Permit Approved: Here's how it went

First off, this thread is an AWESOME reference...very helpful posts from active posters. So to all of you, thanks a ton for your input.

I hope this is helpful since things have clearly changed a lot and some of the info on this thread is maybe a bit scattered.

I am an FFL and have been for 6 years. I do not sell firearms, I am an FFL under an exemption from the "kitchen FFL" restrictions that allows me to be a licensee for test and evaluation purposes. I've worked for several firearms publishers and regularly review and write/video about the firearms then send them back. This allows me to receive firearms at home without having to pay another FFL transfer fees (but a big thanks to Any Raymond at Engage who early on helped me out and waived the fees!)...

I felt at extreme risk when transporting firearms as part of my review work to and from the ranges or areas I was doing evaluations. A year or so ago I took a MD certified CCP class but still hadn't put in the paperwork for the HGP.

Fast forward to April 2020 and I was laid off from my employer and started an LLC to do similar evaluation work and contract to individual companies within the firearms industry. With an LLC in hand in good standing, I decided what the heck, I'd finally give an HGP application a try.

I submitted my application on 10/24/2020
I submitted some scanned pages of my FFL A&D book showing firearms in-and-out
I submitted my IRS EIN information for my LLC
I submitted a copy of my FFL and SOT license
I submitted a bank statement showing ATM deposits to the LLC account

I also just wrote a letter laying this all out. I couldn't find any template or anything and just made it lawyerly and to the point.

Application was accepted on 11/4/2020

Application was assigned to an investigator 12/10/2020

At that point, at least 2 of my 3 references were contacted. Be careful with this because these days, most folks ignore calls from numbers they think are telemarketers and sometimes don't even listen to the messages bcs they know they're spam. So my advice is to remind your references to expect a call -- even from an out of state area code since sometimes the calls come from the investigator's personal cell #.

I was contacted shortly after 12/10 via phone for my interview.

I read all the advice on this thread and was super nervous not to screw it up...and funny thing, I almost did.

The lady was super nice and respectful. The interview was short. The questions she asked included:

What is your business name
Are you on any medication
Any arrests or law enforcement actions against you
Do you drink, how many per day (I answered 2 beers a night)
When is the last time you did any illegal drugs (I answered probably 1990 -- that was college)

But this is where I screwed up and thought I'd put my HGP at risk -- but was SAVED by the investigator.

Because I had applied mainly due to feeling risk in transported regulated firearms and ammunition as part of my work, and because I don't do a ton of high cash banking transactions (maybe 3 check deposits per month), when she asked me about my business I tried to ad lib and emphasize that "it's mainly about transporting firearms and not that I'm taking bags of cash to the ATM at 2am..."

She stopped me immediately and said "OK, hold on there. Let's not go down a road we don't want to go down. Do you have a business in good standing?" And I said "yes" and she said "OK, I can check that box"...

She did not ask me specifics about my business. She did not ask me what I would carry. She did not ask me any specifics about feeling at risk or my G&S.

She ended the call saying I'd hear something by Feb. 4 or so.

On Jan. 30 I received an email from MSP directing me to the licensing portal. I checked and my application had been approved with NO RESTRICTIONS.

SO, DO NOT ad lib. Bottom line seems that if you have a business in good standing -- even if it's less than a year old and you don't make a ton of deposits -- you will get your permit. Just stick to that and don't "add context" unless asked.

10/24/2020 - Application Submitted
11/4/2020 - Application Accepted
12/10/2020 - Application Assigned to Investigator
12/12-14/2020 - References contacted
12/14/2020 - Interview with investigator
1/30/2021 - Application Approved

Hope this helps anyone who's looking for a specific example in a kind of unique situation who might be putting it off. If you have a business, apply. It seems to me they're streamlining the process and are more inclined to accept than reject. But that's one man's experience.

Good luck!
milwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2021, 10:26 AM #3107

Great information! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! I hope to take the plunge and apply at some point myself, and this write-up helps me understand what I could be expecting, especially in terms of timeline, and sequence of events. I''m sure every application may vary a bit, but if you're correct and MSP is "streamlining" the process, perhaps an improved standard may soon be available. Fingers crossed!
MDShooter20850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2021, 10:57 AM #3108

They have until 02/09 to make a decision about my permit, but none of my references have been contacted yet. Is that something I should worry about? I applied under the clearance reason, so maybe they don't call refetences when you select that reason?
Collector98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2021, 12:58 PM #3109
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector98 View Post
They have until 02/09 to make a decision about my permit, but none of my references have been contacted yet. Is that something I should worry about? I applied under the clearance reason, so maybe they don't call refetences when you select that reason?
Don't sweat it until its past due. They don't move any faster than required by law.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2021, 02:06 PM #3110

Update: I just got the APPROVED email about 30 seconds ago!!!
Collector98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues