• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    So I've been thinking about getting an SVT-40. After seeing a collection that a member posted a while back, I really fell in love with the gun. While searching for available guns, I came across an interesting tidbit. I kept seeing SVT-40s going for $250-$300 on Canadian gun sites (instead of the $800-$1500 they normally seem to go for here in the States). And not just a gun here or there, but rather importers expecting large shipments of arsenal refurbished weapons. So if Canada can get these guns imported for that price; why aren't they being imported here for a similar price? They have obviously been imported in the past, since people have them.

Here's just one of many Canadian sites that sell SVTs:

http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=678

Anyone have any ideas? Canadian importers cornered the market on available firearms? Just seems kind strange. I'd buy 2-3 guns at that price. (Well, not right atm. Spent way too much money on guns last month.:o)

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i'm not sure how this would work. maybe one of our IPs would chime in.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    There is no US law that diasallows the import of SVT's from Russia. In fact, the Soviet SVD is on the C&R list and can be imported as well. The problem is the Russians. They won't export them to the US. Can you import one from Canada? I think so but it's ALOT of work. Also, I'm not sure that Marstar will do it. Actually, I'm pretty sure that they won't but you could give them a call. Still, you have to fill out the proper forms and follow the proper procedures. It isn't an easy process.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    922 does not apply to C&R firearms. IIRC, the Russians not allowing imports of them to the US is tied up in some deal they made with us back in the early 90's. Both sides benefited both politically and economically. One of the provisions in the Russian part of the agreement was something to the effect that they wouldn't sell military arms to the US. Obsolete ot not, SVT's are military firearms. Newly made stuff, a Saiga for example, is modified so that it is considered a sporting firearm.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    One way around this crap is for them to be sold to a third party nation and allowed to sit for a number of years. This is done with the MN rifles. They are sold to places like Ukraine then importers in the US buy from them. The Russians know that this stuff is going on but they overlook it for bolt actions. They are more careful about what happens to semi autos. It's been a long while since I looked into this stuff so my facts may not be 100% correct but the overall gist of it is good I think.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I would think that if any significant numbers are outside of Russia they would be here and for sale. So it would seem that, yes, any remanining stockpiles are located in Russia. Also, I think that this stuff only applies to Russian designed and built firearms. I know that there are loads of German G43's over there and that anyone is free to import them. The problem is that the Russians are so greedy that importers can't make it profitalble to do so.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I think that part of the reason this all came about is the way in which stuff was sold and imported in the early years after the fall of the USSR. I read something once about it years back. When importers would buy, they weren't buying individual items but the contents of an entire warehouse sight unseen. When the containers arrived at US customs and were opened for inspection, the firearms and ammunition that the importer was expecting were inside. Also inside were RPG's complete with ammo and various other no no items. Apparently, this was commonplace. You can imagine the kinds of stuff that are stored in a military warehous. One way to clean it up was to stop it completely.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Yes, Russia has a voluntary ban on exporting SVTs into the US, no no new ones are being imported. Another thing you should know is that due to Canadian regulations, the magazines are pinned so that they will only hold five rounds. Another word of warning, these weapons are very tempermental and if you opt to shoot corrosive ammo then you will have to strip it down after each use which is no easy task on that weapon. The wood is also prone to cracking and if you use heavy ball it will trash the action.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the responses guys. I was just curious as to why they are so cheap up northh, and far more dear down here. Even with the issues psoyring mentioned; I'd still buy a few at $300ish each. Silly politics...ruining mah collectin' activities. :)

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Those things were pioneers in the semi-auto field, and the bugs had not quite been worked out yet, unfortunately firearms and politics are often linked.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    like this???

svt40.jpg

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    They're like a giant SKS. I'd get one for $300 in an instant. There's gotta be tons of them over there considering they were so plentiful that the Germans started making their own ammo for them.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Read 'till your hearts content...
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...e-why-SVT-40-s-can-t-be-imported#.T1wTLYl5nTp

Brian at Keepshooting looked into this two years ago (right after the "Mosin Massacre" where everything sold almost overnight) as one of his foreign contacts offered him pretty much an unlimited amount of SVT's at a ridiculous unit price. He talked to the ATF and was told the SVT's were not importable.
    Trust me when I say if they were somehow able to be imported, Brian would be all over it :innocent0 ;)

runnning deer

Jan 26, 2008
    easternshore
    There is a SVT 40 at Shooters Supply outside Berlin Maryland . This SVT 40 has a bayonet , SVT 40 scope & mount and three spam cans of ammo for alittle over $ 1300.oo. Also Shooters Supply has a G43 rifle with original stock set along with a repo stock set and extra magazines and repo scope & mount for over 1600.00 .Shooters supply also has a K43 rifle with an extra repo mag for over 1600.00.The owner of Shooters Supply is Bob and his store number is 410-422-9315. All these rifles are priced very good.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    runnning deer said:
    There is a SVT 40 at Shooters Supply outside Berlin Maryland . This SVT 40 has a bayonet , SVT 40 scope & mount and three spam cans of ammo for alittle over $ 1300.oo. Also Shooters Supply has a G43 rifle with original stock set along with a repo stock set and extra magazines and repo scope & mount for over 1600.00 .Shooters supply also has a K43 rifle with an extra repo mag for over 1600.00.The owner of Shooters Supply is Bob and his store number is 410-422-9315. All these rifles are priced very good.

K43 and G43 are very good if as advertised. They don't come up much under $2K these days.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Read 'till your hearts content...
    http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirear...e-why-SVT-40-s-can-t-be-imported#.T1wTLYl5nTp

Brian at Keepshooting looked into this two years ago (right after the "Mosin Massacre" where everything sold almost overnight) as one of his foreign contacts offered him pretty much an unlimited amount of SVT's at a ridiculous unit price. He talked to the ATF and was told the SVT's were not importable.
    Trust me when I say if they were somehow able to be imported, Brian would be all over it :innocent0 ;)

This, and Id buy a half dozen at 300 each :D

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

If I were gonna spend that much I'd pay a little more to get the Gewehr 43.

I saw someone above mentioned C&R SVDs, what do we have to do to get these imported? I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom