• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    So Upon returning home yesterday from shooting with some friends i went to take down the sig for cleaning. I soon realized that the Take down lever was missing.
    I called Sig today and they said they are happy to "look" at it if i pay shipping to them of 55.00 and they will "evaluate it" and make a judgement on if to fix for free or charge if they think it was mistreated. :rolleyes:

They also said for :

85.00+ 55.00 shipping they will detail clean and change all springs
    and they will not to replace that part for me while they are at it.

for 144.00+55.00 shipping they will clean, replace springs and replace the night sights with new ones..
    this May be a Option as the Night sights are kinda lacking after 10 years and the Night sights are 130.00 on brownells and the part 26.00 So 156.00 in Parts and for another 44.00 they are replacing all springs and cleaning it..

The part i need is 26.00 from brownells and I get free shipping from them.
    I "might" try to get it out myself But not sure how yet.

Anyone had this issue and had to remove one? Just getting a Idea incase i do it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_9189.jpg
      IMG_9189.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 537
    • IMG_9190.jpg
      IMG_9190.jpg
      42.2 KB · Views: 543

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That sucks! I cant believe Sig is being so obtuse. Makes you really appreciate Ruger and Keltec customer service.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That sucks! I cant believe Sig is being so obtuse. Makes you really appreciate Ruger and Keltec customer service.

I agree. They said if it was within the first year they would have covered it but because its a Older pistol, they would send me a a return label but it would be on my dime. I told him that sucks especially when i seen online by doing a quick search that others have had this happen and they said it was cause Sig had outsourced the part and it was made of cheap Material.. to that he was very quiet. :lol2:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I think I would send it to Sig with a nice letter telling them what a Sig fan you are and can't believe that this would happen to one of their fine weapons that you rely so heavily on for self protection ( of course you are in MD, so they won't believe that last part). Then tell them how much care you take with all of your guns. Bet they fix it for next to nothing, but be prepared to pay just in case.

Looks like a rivet that wore out.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    If it is in the closed/locked position you have to turn it clockwise about a 1/4 turn right? Not on guns but I have gotten broken head fasteners out by dremeling a screw slot and turning with a screw driver. It looks like flats might be able to be filed onto that little nub sticking out for turning with a wrench. I'd be a little hesitant if it were my firearm though.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I think I would send it to Sig with a nice letter telling them what a Sig fan you are and can't believe that this would happen to one of their fine weapons that you rely so heavily on for self protection ( of course you are in MD, so they won't believe that last part). Then tell them how much care you take with all of your guns. Bet they fix it for next to nothing, but be prepared to pay just in case.

Looks like a rivet that wore out.

That sounds exactly like how the conversation started. I told the guy it was my favorite pistol of the ones i own and that i have been considering buying a Equinox And that this is my house gun .My buddy wanted to try some pistols so i took that one as well and three others and upon coming home and going to clean it i found the lever missing. First he said man let your buddy use it and see what happens. I corrected him and said No i was there, he did nothing wrong.
    Then he said whats the serial and he took a few mins then asked me to hold on and when he came back he gave me that spiel. kinda like he went and asked and was given that info to tell me :shrug:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If it is in the closed/locked position you have to turn it clockwise about a 1/4 turn right? Not on guns but I have gotten broken head fasteners out by dremeling a screw slot and turning with a screw driver. It looks like flats might be able to be filed onto that little nub sticking out for turning with a wrench. I'd be a little hesitant if it were my firearm though.

Yup, thats exactly what i first thought. but figured Id call sig first.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    should be easy to replace. just have to be able to rotate it to remove the slide. After that just have to rotate it a bit further to remove.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That sounds exactly like how the conversation started. I told the guy it was my favorite pistol of the ones i own and that i have been considering buying a Equinox And that this is my house gun .My buddy wanted to try some pistols so i took that one as well and three others and upon coming home and going to clean it i found the lever missing. First he said man let your buddy use it and see what happens. I corrected him and said No i was there, he did nothing wrong.
    Then he said whats the serial and he took a few mins then asked me to hold on and when he came back he gave me that spiel. kinda like he went and asked and was given that info to tell me :shrug:

It really shouldn't matter who used it if you were there, but they probably hear stories all the time. I have faith in their customer service. Find a way to mention the forum and how good you hear their CS is. :D

I have a P229 Equinox and it is pretty sweet because it is different than anything else.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Honestly depending on round count it is probably not an awful idea to get the springs, cleaning, and night sights installed.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you just want to remove the pin, the Dremel and a cutting wheel will work fine to make a slot. I'd give everything else a few layers of tape, or make a thin plastic guard with a hole in it to protect the frame.

But their price for the night sights and other work seems pretty fair if you want to go that route.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Sig Sauer - To Hell and Back Reliably

uh oh.

The warranty didn't apply because your range does not qualify as Hell. Maybe if you had gone to Syria or West Baltimore it would have applied.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Honestly depending on round count it is probably not an awful idea to get the springs, cleaning, and night sights installed.

I agree, Im not gonna rule that out. Its a Option. Currently One of our IP's that i have done a few transactions with has Offered to fix it for me if i buy the part. Once again Proving this is a good forum with great people.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    It really shouldn't matter who used it if you were there, but they probably hear stories all the time. I have faith in their customer service. Find a way to mention the forum and how good you hear their CS is. :D

I have a P229 Equinox and it is pretty sweet because it is different than anything else.

I Really want one of them. Just haven't been able to shell out the money for it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    how many rounds have you put through it? looks like you could do the work yourself you just have to be careful. And hope it was defective takedown pin/latch.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    It looks like there's enough of a nub left that you could get a hold of it with some vice grips.

Its very close but i tried to just clamp them on last night and they pop right back off. Not a whole lot there

how many rounds have you put through it? looks like you could do the work yourself you just have to be careful. And hope it was defective takedown pin/latch.

Lots of rounds through it but never a hiccup from this gun. It really is my favorite.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    File the nub flush some. Center drill the nub. Drill a hole in the nub. Then use an easy out to bite into the drilled hole to turn the nub.

An easy out is a strange and magical spiral fluted doohickey that grips when turned counterclockwise.

Used to remove right hand (clockwise) threaded thingies. Not to be confused with thingies that go up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom