• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Got this in a email today, It was 12 for the last few years. As of today it is now 8 per year..

Attachments

• CMP news.jpg
      CMP news.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 679

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I purchased mine from the old DCM in 1970 for $165. How prices have changed.

I hear ya. And even higher on auctions. Seen a auction where someone paid 1400 for a CMP rifle on gunbroker.. Some folks just dont pay Attention they can get them for half that. :sad20:

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I hear ya. And even higher on auctions. Seen a auction where someone paid 1400 for a CMP rifle on gunbroker.. Some folks just dont pay Attention they can get them for half that. :sad20:

...and that's what has fueled the "market"... people buying from CMP and flipping them on Gunbroker or at shows... handsome profit! Or, tax on the stupid...

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    ...and that's what has fueled the "market"... people buying from CMP and flipping them on Gunbroker or at shows... handsome profit! Or, tax on the stupid...

Well eventually the CMP will indeed run out. when that day comes, M1 Garand's will go up. Its hard to say how much but i expect by a few hundred. I have a few Now and Have a Order in with the CMP this year. I saved for the last two years and i am now trying to complete the M1 Garand collections with the 4 Makers. I just need to buy a nice IHC at this point. But finding a nice one that is not overpriced is the trick.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Well, you can't become a hardcore super collector at that rate for 3 years! I thought this was America!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Serious question. With repro 1911's long being a thing, repro M1 Carbines now being a good quality thing and recovered 03 and 03A3 drill rifles being made all to a good standard, why isn't anyone making M1 Garand repros? Yes, yes, collectability blah, blah, blah but it would likely be a good avenue for those entering the sport that want a lower cost option without having having to invest about $200 in books and tools to determine the condition and value of a rifle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Serious question. With repro 1911's long being a thing, repro M1 Carbines now being a good quality thing and recovered 03 and 03A3 drill rifles being made all to a good standard, why isn't anyone making M1 Garand repros? Yes, yes, collectability blah, blah, blah but it would likely be a good avenue for those entering the sport that want a lower cost option without having having to invest about $200 in books and tools to determine the condition and value of a rifle.

Maybe they have not been able to make an M1 Garand repro for less $?
    James river's M1 Carbine Repro (they manufactured new recievers) were about $1000 a few years ago.

I think people are instead buying an M1A because they want the magazine.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

When the CMP runs out and the prices jump someone probably will. At this time you can buy a service grade from the CMP for $730 which artificially holds all the prices down and still most non CMP sales seem to be in the $1000 - $1500 range and more for collectables. My guess is when the CMP finally says "No More Garands" those prices will jump to something like $1200 - $2000. Just look at what they are asking in Cabela's Gun Library and someone seems to be buying them. When the prices get high enough for someone to make a profit you will see repros.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    When the CMP runs out and the prices jump someone probably will. At this time you can buy a service grade from the CMP for $730 which artificially holds all the prices down and still most non CMP sales seem to be in the $1000 - $1500 range and more for collectables. My guess is when the CMP finally says "No More Garands" those prices will jump to something like $1200 - $2000. Just look at what they are asking in Cabela's Gun Library and someone seems to be buying them. When the prices get high enough for someone to make a profit you will see repros.

Those estimates would be Nice, but im thinking 1500 average in 5 years..

Attachments

• IMG_9863.jpg
      IMG_9863.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 348

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    I think that you guys may have underestimated the future prices of M1 rifles. CMP got M1's that we had loaned to Greece & Denmark, but they are gone. Commercial importation of USGI rifles (& parts) was banned by Clinton/Gore in the 1990's. I'm guessing that those currently being offered by CMP are turn-ins from veterans organizations.

I don't know the percentage, but many of the currently available rifles have new commercial wood &/or barrels. They may be good shooters, but not really the same as an arsenal rebuild.

The last attempt at commercial repros was by Springfield Armory Inc about 30 years ago. They assembled used USGI parts on newly manufactured receivers. Only a few thousand were made; there were problems due to receiver failure. And, USGI parts kits dried up. No one can afford to make a forged, milled, & hardened receiver today, & the design of the rifle requires a really strong & precisely milled receiver. Not like the M1 carbine, which fires a handgun-type cartridge. Plus, many of the rifle USGI small parts are forged & milled.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I seem to recall Springfield was making new ones as recently as 8 or 9 years ago.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    That is the way I felt, then decided, spend the extra money and get one updated by Charlie.

Harrington & Richardson, Excellent condition receiver. Like new on GI gage.
    New Criterion match quality barrel in .30-06
    New walnut stock set, fitted and finished.
    All parts in new or like new condition.
    Dark Parkerizing
    All new springs and pins.
    National Match trigger
    Tight assembly
    All safety, timing, and function tests.
    Legal for all C&R and John C. Garand matches.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I think the prices will rise when CMP dries up but not a whole lot. Or they will spoke then correct themselves once people start selling off their collections to make money. There are lots of garand hoarders out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom