Need heating / AC replaced in SE Carroll, any recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    96° register temp this morning on stage 2 heat pump running at 70% compressor speed. 39° outdoor temp with the indoor humidity at 53%

This is a little better/more reliable data than "Heat pumps suck...they blow cold air".

I'll be running this ~10.5 HSPF Trane all the way down below 25° with not even an inkling of concern that it's less efficient compared to propane.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    96° register temp this morning on stage 2 heat pump running at 70% compressor speed. 39° outdoor temp with the indoor humidity at 53%

This is a little better/more reliable data than "Heat pumps suck...they blow cold air".

I'll be running this ~10.5 HSPF Trane all the way down below 25° with not even an inkling of concern that it's less efficient compared to propane.

So tell us...how much did your miracle system cost you. You keep talking about everything but your initial cost. Who installed it for you and what was that cost? Is it available, with dependable contractors, in the Frederick/WaCo area. I’d like to know. My Lennox system is about 15 years old. Oh yea, I wasn’t giving you any “data”. I was giving you the facts as I know it. Heat pumps DO suck. Even had my servicing maintenance man say so.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Interested to know as well. Out here in Allegany county, I have had power bills in excess of 700.00 in the jan-march window for the last few years.

Went with a hybrid seer 16 hp and lp furnace that kicks in when too cold for the hp to keep up. My house has 2 hp units and i’d like to have the stats on that seer 20ish and compare.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ground loop heat pumps will work to much lower temps. But unit and installation costs are a premium

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Alrighty then.... if you (and your man) claim heatpumps "suck", I'm not sure how I would sway you from that then!

I can provide ACTUAL data, run times, percentages on each stage of heat and AC, how long per hour, day, month and year the unit runs in each stage, the correlating indoor and outdoor temps and humidity and so on.

Just a tad more than my "maintenance man" agreeing with me that what I've got is superior to what I don't have, as in your case apparently.

My system is a 3 Ton Trane XV20i with 4 ton inside coil over top of a 96% two state modulating propane furnace. I paid $10,450, minus a $750 dollar Delmarva rebate. It is available from any Trane/American Standard Dealer in any area, not sure what the pricing will be, I send a lot of business this persons way.

I have a feeling if you stick around and read you'll pretty quickly learn than your guy is..... full of shit. :thumbsup:

Na, he’s my Lennox dealers man. Said “anywhere north of Richmond is a waste”. Mine is a 3 Ton Lennox with electric aux heat. All electric. Does yours only work with a propane furnace? What’s the propane use? Does it receive its primary source of heat from the propane burn? Just wondering.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Just had my yearly winter service on my Lennox Elite heat pump. No issues but technician amazed that it’s over 19 years old. Started talking to me about replacement units. First thing is “we no longer sell Lennox we mainly sell Daikin”. Never heard of them. Anyone have any experience with them? They are recommending their DZ16SA unit. I think I prefer the DZ18TC. Pricing seems over twice the price of my Lennox when installed (I know over 19 years ago). Factory warranty seems good.

Attachments

• 648B0FEC-47A1-4819-8F3E-0D9D9C5B3BC9.jpg
      648B0FEC-47A1-4819-8F3E-0D9D9C5B3BC9.jpg
      33.7 KB · Views: 154
    • 69CB257C-DA65-41F8-AF85-B0188DDAB227.jpg
      69CB257C-DA65-41F8-AF85-B0188DDAB227.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 163

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Haven’t checked on Trane. The Daikin 18 has a two stage compressor where the 16 has a one stage. My current Lennox Elite is all single stage and one speed. Has anyone gotten their heat pump from Costco? Any recommendations in the Frederick Hagerstown area? Thanks.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Has anyone gotten their heat pump from Costco? Any recommendations in the Frederick Hagerstown area? Thanks.

Worth a shot for parts...but majority of the efficiency comes from install, runs, etc. Do they require you to use "their" contractor to install?

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just had my yearly winter service on my Lennox Elite heat pump. No issues but technician amazed that it’s over 19 years old. Started talking to me about replacement units. First thing is “we no longer sell Lennox we mainly sell Daikin”. Never heard of them. Anyone have any experience with them? They are recommending their DZ16SA unit. I think I prefer the DZ18TC. Pricing seems over twice the price of my Lennox when installed (I know over 19 years ago). Factory warranty seems good.
    Daiken installed by Triple E Heating and Cooling in 2017. Replaced 17yo unit. Heating costs WAY down, very efficient. No problems to date.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Any recommendations in the Frederick Hagerstown area? Thanks.

Consider Holtzople Heating and Air Conditioning in Frederick. They replaced our heat pump 2 years ago with a Bryant unit. The unit works great, and the wireless thermostat works with a phone app so I can change the settings from anywhere in the world. (I’m guessing that’s a common feature these days.). We have had zero issues, either with the unit or with Holztople.

Bryant is owned by the same company that owns Carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. I’ve been using TriState for the past many years. Originally used Sam Poole from Clarksburg until he retired and got bought by TriState. Seems lately when they come to do a service inspection they’re more into trying to sell you a service like “vent cleaning, electrostatic air cleaner or Aeroseal vent treatment”. I just want someone that I don’t have to watch and make sure they do the job I’m paying them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom