• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't know that author, so this is not directed at him specifically, but based on some of the writings I've read of "preppers" on the subject amateur radio, my advice is to learn in the tradition way first and then, if you so desire, go back and read any prepper writings on the subject.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I don't know that author, so this is not directed at him specifically, but based on some of the writings I've read of "preppers" on the subject amateur radio, my advice is to learn in the tradition way first and then, if you so desire, go back and read any prepper writings on the subject.

Oh, I'm on board. I always like learning the basics and the theory, and THEN getting into the nuances of a particular application. True for almost every tool, discipline, skill or technology. One of these days I'll dive in and start at the ground floor like I should.

Side bar question: do call signs ever get recycled? A favorite (and now late) uncle told me his when I was just a wee lad, and it was burned into my brain (he was W0TTN). Do those get retired like jerseys? What happens to them?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ....Side bar question: do call signs ever get recycled?.....What happens to them?
    It is retired and not automatically/systemically reissued, but will be reissued if someone eligible requests it. My call sign belonged to someone else who let it lapse for the two year period required before re-issue.

You can see if a call sign is available by using the FCC search engine:
    https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Your uncle's call is expired as of 2016 and thus should be available if your license class allows it, which nuances I'm not up on, but there is more information at this link:
    https://www.fcc.gov/amateur-call-sign-systems

I wouldn't snooze...

Good luck!!

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Since it is a 1X3 call, expired for > 2 years and not one of the restricted callsigns, once you get your Technician license you can apply for that callsign at no charge.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    How well does this:

https://hamexam.org/exam/15-Technician

represent the difficulty of passing the tech exam? Have done several instances of it and passed. Feels too easy!

It looks like they use the actual page pool questions (no reason to do anything else) by the designators in the upper left corner of each question so the fidelity should be perfect. Except of course the VE team is going to select which questions from the pool and the order of the answers.

I think a good rule of thumb (from the QRZ practice tests) is, practice at least until you get in the 80% range.

For people with some exposure to radio|electronics|simple math it's not difficult. Nor is it for people who haven't but study a bit more.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It looks like they use the actual page pool questions (no reason to do anything else) by the designators in the upper left corner of each question so the fidelity should be perfect. Except of course the VE team is going to select which questions from the pool and the order of the answers.

I think a good rule of thumb (from the QRZ practice tests) is, practice at least until you get in the 80% range.

For people with some exposure to radio|electronics|simple math it's not difficult. Nor is it for people who haven't but study a bit more.

Have done zero topical studying, but complete each simulated test missing 3-4 per 35 questions. Most are jargon failures ("QRM" means receiving interference ... ok, might as well memorize a latin word for that! but now I know), protocol things that are more cultural than practically technical per se (CQ calling norms, for example) or legal/license stuff you need to know when - say - using amateur satellites. So I don't feel too bad about getting educated guesses wrong on some of those. My basic nerd-level electrical/electronic awareness and laws of physics EM knowledge seems to be propping me up pretty well. I'll take the practice tests for a few more spins so I know where my weak spots are, and then see if I can figure out what's logistically involved in actually taking the test for real.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Have done zero topical studying, but complete each simulated test missing 3-4 per 35 questions. Most are jargon failures ("QRM" means receiving interference ... ok, might as well memorize a latin word for that! but now I know), protocol things that are more cultural than practically technical per se (CQ calling norms, for example) or legal/license stuff you need to know when - say - using amateur satellites. So I don't feel too bad about getting educated guesses wrong on some of those. My basic nerd-level electrical/electronic awareness and laws of physics EM knowledge seems to be propping me up pretty well. I'll take the practice tests for a few more spins so I know where my weak spots are, and then see if I can figure out what's logistically involved in actually taking the test for real.

QRM - Quite a Radio Mess - Interference from another station stepping on top of your transmissions.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Use hamstudy.org to study for the exam. When I took mine in September I had studied extensively on hamstudy,org first. You can imagine my relief when I took the real exams and they sat me in front of a laptop computer, brought up hamstudy.org, and had me take the actual test on a different part of that website. Needless to say I had seen every question multiple times before and knew all the answers to them.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, hamtestonline worked just as well for me. Any of the online study tools that use all 400 of the actual test pool questions should prep you to easily pass. KC3OIA and I both got 35/35 on our tests, but then again she's a retired teacher who has taken many tests and I'm a good test taker as well. I scored 100/100 on my HVAC license exam recently.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Yes, hamtestonline worked just as well for me. Any of the online study tools that use all 400 of the actual test pool questions should prep you to easily pass. KC3OIA and I both got 35/35 on our tests, but then again she's a retired teacher who has taken many tests and I'm a good test taker as well. I scored 100/100 on my HVAC license exam recently.

I’m using the HamStudy.org phone app. I went from scoring 50-60% on the Extra Exam to just 65-75% in about 2 weeks. I took the test last Tuesday on a whim, and failed by 1 question. In the last week I’ve studied only my weakest areas, about 30-40 min per day and now my practice test are 85% and up. I’ll be ready to take the test next Saturday at the Davidsonville location posted above.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There were 4 electical questions on the HVAC test that could have just as well been on any of the HAM tests. It put a smile on my face.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Use hamstudy.org to study for the exam. When I took mine in September I had studied extensively on hamstudy,org first. You can imagine my relief when I took the real exams and they sat me in front of a laptop computer, brought up hamstudy.org, and had me take the actual test on a different part of that website. Needless to say I had seen every question multiple times before and knew all the answers to them.

I used hamstudy.org to help me through my general test.

I like how they help to keep track of the question categories I missed and helped me focus my studies on them.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I have an tuned end fed wire antenna that's about 130 feet long and 30 feet off the ground running across the backyard. On 40 meters everyone sounds like they're speaking like Dark Vador, any suggestions or filter adjustments that can be made. I suspect some type of electrical interference.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't think the antenna has anything to do with that. Sure your on lab and not USB?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom