• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Is there any good places to mountain bike in Howard county? Sometimes fun and and in the woods

Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    Patapsco Avalon area was the best but became over used. Now popular is the Patapsco Thru trail. Different spots to start. Old court bridge is popular starting point up river or down and crossing at Old Green bridge. Enjoy.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Patapsco is the obvious one. If you don't mind a drive to a very nice trail system, check out Shaeffer Farms in the Germantown area.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****Shaeffer Farm in Germantown. It's a dedicated mountain biking area and has lots of trails, beginner to advanced. Plenty of parking, and very well maintained. I rode there today myself. It's MoCo, but worth the drive.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Patapsco Avalon is awesome! It is the kind of place they write about in bike magazines. I used to go several times a week when I was younger. You are always either going up painful hills or barrelling down hills, not much in between. It is really easy to get over your skill level, or just make one mistake, or get confident, say "Watch this" and get hurt. I have had two friends wakeup in the hospital. The bight side is there are a lot of very friendly bikers there, so the chances of laying there unconscious for days or even 10 minutes is slim. Just wear make sure you always wear a helmet and have decent equipment.

Another unmentioned place is liberty reservoir firetrails. These are much more mild than patapsco, truck width wide, in various states of maintenance, nothing really technical. The spots I am most familiar with are around the rt32 bridge and around the deer park/nicodemus bridge. One of my worst crashes ever happened at liberty about this time of year when a leaf filled washout ate my whole front tire and threw me over the handle bars at 20mph.

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    Other than what's already been mentioned, Bacon Ridge in crownsville connects to waterworks trail system. Another 30 miles of flowy and technical stuff. Check out the app MTB Project. They have maps of all the local trails, names and other details along with gps positioning while you're out there. Patapsco mountain bikers group on facebook and swine riders has a lot of great info and trail condition reports

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    ****Shaeffer Farm in Germantown. It's a dedicated mountain biking area and has lots of trails, beginner to advanced. Plenty of parking, and very well maintained. I rode there today myself. It's MoCo, but worth the drive.
    I work in Darnestown and a group of us Hike there after work sometimes. Nice place. Plenty of bikes.
    We saw this along the trail in April or so!!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Patapsco is the obvious one. If you don't mind a drive to a very nice trail system, check out Shaeffer Farms in the Germantown area.

Schaeffer Farms is awesome. There are different trails for different levels. I used to hunt on Gray Rock ranch right next to the trails and I biked the trails there a decent amount.

This thread is awesome though because I have yet to even try mountain biking in Howard or Carroll. Think I might start riding over in Piney Run just to get back in the saddle. After that, who knows.

I have heard that McKeldin Park off of Marriotsville Road is pretty good, and depending where you are in Howard County you can get to McKeldin by following paths along the Patuxent/railroad tracks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I work in Darnestown and a group of us Hike there after work sometimes. Nice place. Plenty of bikes.
    We saw this along the trail in April or so!!!!

The deer in that park are insane. When we were hunting Grey Rock Ranch on crop damage permits, we killed over 100 a year. I killed 8 one morning and could have killed way more. I stopped because I knew it was going to take the rest of the day to get 8 of them out of the woods.

The mtb'ers back then were pointing me to where the deer were. Some were even asking me to kill as many as I could.

When dusk would arrive, we could see the deer filtering out of the woods 10 at a time into the soybean and alfalfa fields. We would run into groups of 20 to 30 while walking in the woods.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Schaeffer Farms is awesome. There are different trails for different levels. I used to hunt on Gray Rock ranch right next to the trails and I biked the trails there a decent amount.

This thread is awesome though because I have yet to even try mountain biking in Howard or Carroll. Think I might start riding over in Piney Run just to get back in the saddle. After that, who knows.

I have heard that McKeldin Park off of Marriotsville Road is pretty good, and depending where you are in Howard County you can get to McKeldin by following paths along the Patuxent/railroad tracks.

I rate McKeldin as mostly a beginner course. There are significantly tougher areas of Patapsco.

Yes, if you follow the maps you can get from McKeldin all the way to Avalon and beyond. Its easy to get lost though, ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom