• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHinson

Apr 23, 2016
    I will be going to West Virginia to hunt white tail deer with my uncle for the first time using my 30-06 rifle. My uncle recommended a 150 grain bullet, but I was looking for suggestions on what type of bullet to use HP, ballistic tip, soft nose, ball? Also where I could get a decent quantity for a fair price because I would like to practice with the ammo before I actually go hunting.
    Thank You

AV8OR

Jan 22, 2010
    I enjoy the Hornady American whitetail 150gr SP. I personally feel that is great for everything you will find in WV. I rifle hunt in WV with my 3006 and those rounds work great.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most .30-06 expanding construction bullets will be fine. I'd personally go 168gr in .30-06.

I'd also go with a soft point. For typical eastern sized deer, you don't need bonded bullets and won't be taking shots at the long ranges where the low speed expansion reliability of a ballistic tip is really needed

For practice, get a box or three of FMJ in whatever shoots well in your gun and one box of hunting rounds. You practice with the cheap stuff, then fire your 3-5 rounds to zero with your hunting round and then you have 15-17 rounds left for the deer.

I personally use 150gr PPU soft point in .308 and I practice with PPU 147gr FMJ. Ballistics and point of aim are nearly identical within 200yds. The former is a cheap $15 a box and the later a really cheap $12 a box when you can find them on sale and only a couple bucks more not on sale. The soft points get me a little less than 2MOA out of my Sako and the FMJ are the same.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Pretty hard to find a bad 30-06 150 gr. soft point bullet actually. I use Winchester 150 gr. Super x or Corelokts.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Yup. Soft point bullets are very deadly on deer. I use 150 grain Winchester power point. I've also used the Remington core lokt. Both drop deer.

braraigh

Aug 13, 2016
    Yup. Soft point bullets are very deadly on deer. I use 150 grain Winchester power point. I've also used the Remington core lokt. Both drop deer.

Another vote here for core lokt. It's probably the cheapest stuff that you will find too. 165 or 180 gr for me. Either one is more than enough for the biggest white tail.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Deer are "big game" , but they aren't particulary BIG . .30-06 has substantial margin of power, so exact bullet selection is not as critical as if we were discussing .223, .243, etc

For '06 in 150gr , any old school soft point will be more than sufficient for whitetail. ( Given quasi-normal distances. If speaking about 500yd plus, then BC and reduced vel expansion would be factors.)

Super Premium with bonding, partitions, dual cores, etc not required. ( Elk or Moose would be a different conversation.)

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I am not a big fan of thin jacket ballistic tips. While they are very accurate, I have seen the take the entire shoulder off a deer on exit. A lot of wasted meat. While I don't shoot an 06, but I do use the 150 Grain Swift Scirocco Bonded in my 7mm Rem Mag and am very please with the performance on white tails.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    If value is important your local WalMart has .30-06 Remington and Winchester ammo for under twenty a box. Pick out one box of each, shoot your rifle and see which brand shoots better in your rifle and then stock up on that ammo. Save your brass for later if you decide to reload or ask someone to reload it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom