• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So driving this evening I saw a doe with her two fawns out in a field and it made me think. In a hunting situation, if you saw a doe with her fawn(s) which would you harvest if any? No tags filled or more than one filled already?

I am legitimately curious. The Doe because she represents more meat and has had a year or a few? A fawn because she can only have one fawn of her own if she even breeds this year. None because you can't pull the trigger in a situation like that? Take them all if you can?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    As many as i could. I'd shoot the doe first then start on the fawns. If you shoot the big one first the small ones will either stand there and say WTF is happening or only run a few yards aways.

My best is 4 deer in 2 minutes :cool:

zxcvbnm

Jun 14, 2008
    In a regular hunting situation, I'd pass on all 3.

If this is some end of the world situation or I could not afford to put food on the table, I'd reconsider.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    As many as i could. I'd shoot the doe first then start on the fawns. If you shoot the big one first the small ones will either stand there and say WTF is happening or only run a few yards aways.

My best is 4 deer in 2 minutes :cool:

Brutal haha. My wife is slowly coming around on hunting. Never been against it, but doesn't wish to do it although she has a bow...this last deer I got she basically said she's getting better with the idea of trying it. If I came home with a couple of fawns...oh boy.:lol2:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'd shoot a fawn. Tender meet and you know moms healthy if she popped out two she will do it again.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just my personal opinion, I'd pass. However, if I really needed the meat, I'd take down the doe, then the fawns. I know someone, that knows someone, that is literally so poor that if they don't hunt, they don't eat very well. In that instance, killing what you can is not an option.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Doe first

I've deliberately gone after the doe first. The fawns have frozen, or moved in a short circle, giving me enough time to get the fawns as well.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I almost lost an arm tonight when I took my labs out and a bunch of does were trespassing on my patio. Dogs went apeshit and the deer didn't care in the least.

I don't hunt but for all I care shoot them all.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I'd drop 'em in a heartbeat. You know the old saying " You can't eat horns"

Like others have said, drop the big one first and you have a good chance at the others.

Also, at this point, I'd say yearlings, not fawns.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    True. I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. On the one hand I know they are over populated. On the other, more than 2 and I am donating them. Which I know goes to someone in need, but I also can't help feeling like taking a bunch reduces the chance another hunter has an opportunity.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I'd shoot the doe and not think twice about it. This time of year the dawns can make it on there own.

I let Yearlings walk usually only because I take mine to a butcher and don't want to spend the money on a little bit of meat.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Marinade the doe and use only a fork on the fawns. Good eating and not the trophy most people want but in reality very good eating. :D

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    We eat A LOT of deer meat, more than beef for sure. Deer is cheaper and every time I go out and hunt I refine my skill. Didn't have any left over once bow season started so I was out for meat. Saw two mature does at 20 yards, with one fawn. Couldn't figure out which one was the mother in a hurry and took the shot. The fawn stuck around so I knew whose it was. Felt bad, but not bad enough to go without meat to feed my family all winter. I'll leave the young ones though.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There are too many deer in Central Maryland!

The little ones are breeders. Also, tasty and tender. If they all breed you could be looking at a lot of car accidents next year.

Start on the big doe, as others have said, the other two will freeze. What you don't eat, donate to people who need it.

My best is 4 deer, but not in two minutes, because I cannot reload my bow that fast. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom