• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I was helping a friend clean some rifles that had just come in and I had stupidly gotten a cleaning rod with a patch stuck in this Spanish M1943 Mauser's barrel. It wouldn't budge for anything. I was just looking over the rifle and noticed it had a hole drilled through the barrel hidden under the rear sight leaf!

I took the handguard off and found 2 more holes drilled through the barrel. The cleaning patch had actually gotten stuck in one of the holes which caused the entire blockage. Turns out somebody had tried to deactivate the rifle by drilling holes in the barrel but didn't bother to block the receiver from chambering or firing live ammo. It could've turned out bad if somebody hadn't seen the holes and tried to shoot it.

Now I've got a complete Mauser with a ruined barrel. I'm debating sporterizing it since it's already ruined, or just selling it to somebody who wants the parts or a nice project rifle.

So tell me, anybody got any ideas as to what it should be turned into?

BTW, sorry for the crappy IPhone pictures. I didn't feel like going out in the cold with my good camera.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
      IMG_2434.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 557
    • IMG_2437.jpg
      IMG_2437.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 553
    • IMG_2438.jpg
      IMG_2438.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 557
    • IMG_2439.jpg
      IMG_2439.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 632

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    A shame, but it's now likely worth more in parts. The stock set would be nice for someone to use to de-bubba another rifle.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A shame, but it's now likely worth more in parts. The stock set would be nice for someone to use to de-bubba another rifle.

That's what I think. I'll probably just sell the parts. I don't collect Spanish stuff anyway, so I'm not attached to it.

The stock actually has a nice little tiger striping to it on one side

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Looks like a great candidate for a custom. As long as the action hasn't been damaged or drilled, save it, the bolt, maybe the bottom metal. Sell the stock, barrel bands, etc as parts. Even if you're not wanting it now, one day you might want a custom rifle and this would be a great start. JMO

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Bisleyfan44 said.

You now have the doner action for a custom rifle with a clear conscience . Endless possibilities, starting with E.R. Shaw bbl and drop in classic stock .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom