• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Here is what I have going on, I have a field/deer combo mossberg 500. The rifled barrel is NOT a cantilever- I have a scope base on the receiver. I am 99% sure the scope base and scope is not the issue. I tried shooting slugs (3 different brands) but am getting shots all over the place. Sometimes it will group for 2 shots then it moves a (I’m talking sometimes feet at 100 yards).

I pulled the barrel and tried to shim the barrel/receiver connection, and I think it helped a good deal, but still getting 8” groups at 100, until the group walks off target.

I’m thinking the connection between the barrel and receiver is the issue.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Drill and pin the receiver? This is going to be a dedicated deer gun. If the receiver was steel I would just have welded it together..

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Alternatively the barrel could be oversized? I’m not sure where to start here

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Have a look and makes sure the lock ring is tight on the scope for the eye focus.
    Depending on manufacture the reticle sometimes moves around if that ring isn’t right. Not gorilla just enough to be firm.
    Also hold that sucker as tight as you can consistently. Barrel jump vibration is hard to control on a pump gun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Has another person shot your shotgun, with the same unsatisfactory results?

Sometimes, and especially with extended bench sessions of leaning into a slug gun, at least a part of less than optimal results can be shooter fatigue related.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Is it a good scope. Could the recoil of a shotgun have messed it up?

The scope is a Nikon p3 shotgun scope, with Warn rings, I used a torque wrench to tighten down all bolts. I really don’t think it is the scope, I have 10+ Nikon scopes and never had one small issue with them (although in theory anything is possible). I really think it is the barrel connection.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Also and just to rule out my own abilities, I was shooting groups with my .308 savage at 100 and 200 yards .5 to 1.5 MOA.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    The play between the barrel and receiver is why the cantilever barrels are so popular - the scope moves with the barrel and is reasonably accurate. It is also less dependent on how it is held, which can be a big factor too.

IMO, the cantilever barrels for Mossys are relatively inexpensive, I'd just move to that before modifying the gun.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-5...421663?hash=item288e33591f:g:fPoAAOSwoDVePZuL

I have been thinking about moving to a cantilever barrel, I just hate having the scope so freakin high! I already duct tapped almost an inch of padding to raise the cheek weld lol.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Have a look and makes sure the lock ring is tight on the scope for the eye focus.
    Depending on manufacture the reticle sometimes moves around if that ring isn’t right. Not gorilla just enough to be firm.
    Also hold that sucker as tight as you can consistently. Barrel jump vibration is hard to control on a pump gun.

Lock ring is snug. Maybe I need to adjust my shooting style. I was shooting the pump the same way I shoot my .308 on the bench, very little muscle input. I essentially was resting the shotgun on front and rear bags to try to rule out my muscle movement throwing the shots.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Has another person shot your shotgun, with the same unsatisfactory results?

Sometimes, and especially with extended bench sessions of leaning into a slug gun, at least a part of less than optimal results can be shooter fatigue related.

another person has not shot the shotgun, but I have had similar results over multiple range trips. I do think it is hardware related

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If the barrel is rifled you shouldn’t shoot rifled slugs. My 11-87 with cantilever rifled barrel seems to like Winchester sabots best. Any other brand of sabot Just doesn’t to do as well for me.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Check the mag cap that you have to remove to swap barrels. If it's loose it can let the barrel move a bit.

Happened to a friend of mine. We wasted a load of slugs and beat our shoulders to hell before we figured it out.

Bad thing was that it would loosen up after a couple shots.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Very few slug guns/barrels are capable of less than minute of pie plate accuracy at 100 yards.

That said, my Mossy 500 w/ a smooth bore slug barrel will group in a pie plate at 100 yards with foster slugs.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Check the mag cap that you have to remove to swap barrels. If it's loose it can let the barrel move a bit.

Happened to a friend of mine. We wasted a load of slugs and beat our shoulders to hell before we figured it out.

Bad thing was that it would loosen up after a couple shots.

That’s a good point. I had a friend that had to use Chevy distributor washers under the mag cap when he put his deer barrel on.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    If the barrel is rifled you shouldn’t shoot rifled slugs. My 11-87 with cantilever rifled barrel seems to like Winchester sabots best. Any other brand of sabot Just doesn’t to do as well for me.

All sugs have been sabot- no rifled slugs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom