• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Check the mag cap that you have to remove to swap barrels. If it's loose it can let the barrel move a bit.

Happened to a friend of mine. We wasted a load of slugs and beat our shoulders to hell before we figured it out.

Bad thing was that it would loosen up after a couple shots.

I’ll check this out. It is certainly worth a try. Realistically I would be happy with a 4 inch group at 100 yards, but I’m far from that

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    My Win 1300 rifled barrel did not like any Sabot loads; and shot Foster slugs 1.5 MOA @ 100. I never understood why.

Have you tried the irons only on your Mossy? I've had scopes, rings, rails to receiver, etc get loose during a range session.

Good luck

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    My Win 1300 rifled barrel did not like any Sabot loads; and shot Foster slugs 1.5 MOA @ 100. I never understood why.

Have you tried the irons only on your Mossy? I've had scopes, rings, rails to receiver, etc get loose during a range session.

Good luck

I first tried shooting without a scope, couldn’t get on paper at 50 yards. I stopped after one box of slugs, knowing I would put a scope on. Never tried again after that

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My default always very accurate sabot load is the (now) W-W Original BRI . And what I usually use to hunt . It's not " high tech " , but still a solid .50 slug is plenty effective .

Yes , you Can shoot Foster style slugs with a rifled bbl . It's perfectly safe , and at least as accurate as from a smooth bore . The only downside is if you shoot a bunch , you need to clean any potential lead deposits .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been thinking about moving to a cantilever barrel, I just hate having the scope so freakin high! I already duct tapped almost an inch of padding to raise the cheek weld lol.

A word on mossy cantilever barrels. I had one on my 835. It took over 6 brands and loads to come up with something it would shoot consistently. That was a Brenneke 3" mag. They quit making that particular shell and my gun became a dedicated turkey gun.

DEEREHUNTER

Oct 7, 2009
    Probably not the answer you would want to hear but...unload the Mossberg , somebody would want it for a home defense gun , Purchase a Savage 220 Bolt action slug gun ,slugs practically touch at 100 yards. Wait it out for DNR to take a decision on the straight walled cartridge issue. Purchase Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. Problem solved . Either choice under $500.00 (optics not included) NO more headaches.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Clean the barrel with black powder foaming cleaner. It gets the plastic residue out. Try a different brand of slugs. I’ve never had any luck with hornady slugs consistently. Went Remington aero tip and it’s good to go

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Well, I’m going to give a few more brands of slugs a try. If that doesn’t work, I’ll either get a cantilever barrel, or maybe pin this barrel. As much as I would love a 220 or slugmaster, I need to stop spending so much money on my hobbies ... lol

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I have been thinking about moving to a cantilever barrel, I just hate having the scope so freakin high! I already duct tapped almost an inch of padding to raise the cheek weld lol.

THIS. Just move to the cantilever. I had a similar setup on a Mossberg 930. Mounted a rail on the receiver. Never shot straight after a single session. The chamber is in the barrel and there is slop between it and the receiver, which is totally acceptable and probably somewhat intentional in a shotgun. Doesn’t work so great with a slug. Mossberg.com always has seasonal deals on barrels. I upgraded to a rifled cantilever barrel and I’m blasting deers all day long with Lightfield Hybrid EXP.

Just get low profile rings. The scope isn’t that high. I use the same gun with turkey, skeet, and waterfowl barrels, and with the cantilever, never have to re-sight or have the rail in the way.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    So I ended up doing research on a cantilever barrel, was looking close to $300 with shipping and new rings. I also checked out a 212 or 220, got a little sticker shock there! I picked up an h&r ultra slugger for a little over $300, with a nice bushnell scope, I think this will be problem solved.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    At that price , an Ultra Slug was a good solution .

That should fix your issue. You were lucky to find one at that price. There were only around 300 new 4 or 5 years ago. But when H&R went out of business, prices soared with many asking $500. Never could see that much in an Ultra slug when the Savage 220 could be had new for 700 or less. The plain Jane Synthetic / black matte can be had under 600 and its a multi shot with a very good Accutrigger plus Accustock.

hermyjoe

Feb 5, 2012
    riverdale md
    So I ended up doing research on a cantilever barrel, was looking close to $300 with shipping and new rings. I also checked out a 212 or 220, got a little sticker shock there! I picked up an h&r ultra slugger for a little over $300, with a nice bushnell scope, I think this will be problem solved.
    I messaged you about a loan of barrels to test with, if you are interested in trying. I have a cant/with scope, a cant/without scope and a rifle sighted barrel (all rifled)

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    plastic in bore or bad rifling

I've seen a few Mossberg barrels that the bore was slightly oversized and rough, then when they rifled the barrel it didn't take all the imperfections out. I sent it back and they gave me a new one. I saw others like that also. Look at the top of the lands and crown.
    SSTs leave a good bit of plastic in the bore as does other slugs. I had one Mossberg that shot the SST very well as long as I cleaned the bore to remove the sabot plastic every few shots.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    First i'd start by making sure the barrel is true. Second check your rifling. Third i'd have the reciever checked that it's not deformation in it. Hope this helps.

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Well, I’m going to give a few more brands of slugs a try. If that doesn’t work, I’ll either get a cantilever barrel, or maybe pin this barrel. As much as I would love a 220 or slugmaster, I need to stop spending so much money on my hobbies ... lol

Get rid of the scope and use a laser sight if you want accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom