• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is your carry permit you get based on that part time employment only valid while you are doing that work?

Or is the permit valid 24/7 anywhere in Maryland (aside from specific places that prohibit guns)

Not sure if you're asking about mine specifically, or about all. Mine, for example (which cites business ownership as my G&S basis), is 24x7 without restrictions. A permit based on a clearance should also come back without time/place restrictions, but will only be considered valid for as long as you maintain that clearance (or, possibly, that specific employment, depending on just how oppressiony the MSP LD was feeling that moment).

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Not sure if you're asking about mine specifically, or about all. Mine, for example (which cites business ownership as my G&S basis), is 24x7 without restrictions. A permit based on a clearance should also come back without time/place restrictions, but will only be considered valid for as long as you maintain that clearance (or, possibly, that specific employment, depending on just how oppressiony the MSP LD was feeling that moment).

Is there a different version that is only valid during specific uses?

Like the guy selling fishing rods from the back of his car. Would that permit that allows concealed carry during that transaction also apply when he is buying groceries with no fishing gear for sale in his car?

I know trying to understand the rules of concealed carry in Maryland is like trying to decipher hyrogliphics on an alien space probe

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is there a different version that is only valid during specific uses?

Like the guy selling fishing rods from the back of his car. Would that permit that allows concealed carry during that transaction also apply when he is buying groceries with no fishing gear for sale in his car?

I know trying to understand the rules of concealed carry in Maryland is like trying to decipher hyrogliphics on an alien space probe

Generally, as we stand just now: if the guy selling fishing rods can show to the MSP’s satisfaction that he actually is the business owner and engaged in doing business, then the permits being issued under those circumstances are coming with no restrictions. So, yes, carrying in the grocery store is covered. If the MSP issues a permit that limits when/where, it will say so right on the permit.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    If the MSP issues a permit that limits when/where, it will say so right on the permit.

Oh. Do they do that with restrictions too?

Thanks for the education. I appreciate your time.

I honestly did better trying to learn Latin in the 8th grade than I do trying to figure out Maryland rules on guns. (And if you knew how badly I failed Latin you've understand what I mean)

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Oh. Do they do that with restrictions too?

Thanks for the education. I appreciate your time.

I honestly did better trying to learn Latin in the 8th grade than I do trying to figure out Maryland rules on guns. (And if you knew how badly I failed Latin you've understand what I mean)

Yes, they do. If you are an employee and have a business sponsored permit it will be limited to "while conducting business as an employee of the Hillary Clinton Pantsuit company".

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The distinction currently being made by MSP is between owner and employee. Anyone who can show some type of ownership and can sufficiently prove to MSP that the business they own is somehow actively doing business (doesn't need to be your primary source of income) gets no restrictions. If an employer writes the MSP a letter requesting that an employee be armed while working, the employee will get a "while conducting business" restriction. This is separate from the clearance/OPM discussion summed up in #2917 above.

Just work with it, don't try to understand it because it simply can't be understood. This is Maryland.

ETA Stoveman replied while I was typing.

Last edited:

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    Have an LLC with 2 partners. Will MSP want to ask partners if they would allow carry at work?

I own an LLC with another person. MSP never asked to speak to that person in their role as an owner of the company. (She's also my wife, they did speak to her in that capacity. They didn't ask her anything about the LLC)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What my friends said above is indeed correct , * since the publication of most recent MSP LD SOPs ( that's a mouthful of acronyms right there :) ) .

If you would have asked six months ago , the answer would have been " The default language is Valid while conducting business as Owner of the Hillary Clinton Memorial Pants Suit Company ."

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    Good day gents and ladies. I'm trying to educate myself so I can explain the whole carry permit process better to my wife. I've recently gotten back into gun ownership. The wife has become very interested in the whole aspect of firearms. She enjoys shooting the ruger 380 I have and will probably end up taking the handgun class so she can purchase her own firearms. So to my question about the permit stuff. She wants to know why I, as a member of the military, do not need the handgun class but have to "jump through hoops" as she puts it to apply for a carry permit. I don't have an answer for her and I might be looking in the wrong areas for my research on this. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can enlighten my SO? I've been reading a lot of threads on the forums about MD gun laws, what's legal to own and what not, and the more I read the more confused I get. I would like to have a carry permit but it's not the end of the world if I don't qualify for one. I just want to be able to properly educate myself and possibly others when the need arises. Thanks in advance

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Sarc

A little tin foil applied.

My lord has granted you special dispensation as a member of the military, in order to gain your future support should the peasants decide to rise up against the state.

My lord believes this is sufficient, and that any further dispensations are not necessary at this time.

If the peasants do rise up, you are obliged to assist in quelling such rebellion. Pledge your fealty and enjoy.

/sarc

You’ve been granted a carveout. Enjoy.

Your carveout does not apply to WC. It only goes so far.

Good day gents and ladies. I'm trying to educate myself so I can explain the whole carry permit process better to my wife. I've recently gotten back into gun ownership. The wife has become very interested in the whole aspect of firearms. She enjoys shooting the ruger 380 I have and will probably end up taking the handgun class so she can purchase her own firearms. So to my question about the permit stuff. She wants to know why I, as a member of the military, do not need the handgun class but have to "jump through hoops" as she puts it to apply for a carry permit. I don't have an answer for her and I might be looking in the wrong areas for my research on this. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can enlighten my SO? I've been reading a lot of threads on the forums about MD gun laws, what's legal to own and what not, and the more I read the more confused I get. I would like to have a carry permit but it's not the end of the world if I don't qualify for one. I just want to be able to properly educate myself and possibly others when the need arises. Thanks in advance

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    Well I've got less than a month before my retirement date in March. So following the orders to deal with the "peasants" is not a concern of mine, and well your reply has confused as well

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well I've got less than a month before my retirement date in March. So following the orders to deal with the "peasants" is not a concern of mine, and well your reply has confused as well

As you can imagine, the Wear & Carry Permit topic is, here, a sore one and the source of considerable (appropriate) satire, sarcasm, poetic license, salty limericks, rebellious ire, and more.

In short: Maryland isn't like most other states, but it is a lot like NY, CA, NJ and a couple of others, in that they don't consider it appropriate for most people to have carry permits. It's not a right, here, but a privilege, extended only to that small portion of the citizenry that meet a vaguely-defined, hand-wavy standard of extra-scary-risk that other citizens do not. Some of those people have jobs that are considered to represent "assumed risk," such as officers of the court, people with secret squirrel clearances, etc. Some are those who can show a history of having been assaulted or who are under extreme risk from (for example) a crazy spouse that is for some reason still running around loose. The last and most common category are those who, through their line of work, are considered more at risk than the average Joe. Business owners, pharmacists, EMTs who handle narcotics, that sorta thing.

By far the most common vector there is business ownership. Doesn't have to be a big fancy business. It can be a sole proprietorship where you just sell hubcaps on eBay once a month or the like... but you have to show that actual business takes place, and that the money hits your books (and taxes) as business income. You then apply for your permit, providing evidence of this activity along with your character references, and proof that you've taken your 16 hour W&C class, and then in 90 days or so (sometime during which you have an interview with the state police), you've got your permit.

Then in two years you get to do it all over again. Thereafter (for now), every three years.

In your situation, I'd say that retiring from your military gig is the PERFECT time to start a small business of some sort, get a bit of a paper trail going, and then look into the process. There's lots of help here if you ask, but it will come with some snark (aimed at the state, NOT at you!) because, well, it's Maryland.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    His Military service also exempts him from the 17hr training requirements .

We're not maliciously picking on you , this is a hot button topic for the 2A community in Md .

But seriously , much information on the topic is available on the MSI website . Better yet, stop by a gun show , or other event with an MSI booth . and we will gladly explain this and everything gun related in Md to both of you .

Even still better yet , join MSI with a very reasonable membership , and we will assist our members in the W&C process [ MSI does NOT practice law .]

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    As you can imagine, the Wear & Carry Permit topic is, here, a sore one and the source of considerable (appropriate) satire, sarcasm, poetic license, salty limericks, rebellious ire, and more. [/QUOTE
    Noted!

The last and most common category are those who, through their line of work, are considered more at risk than the average Joe. Business owners, pharmacists, EMTs who handle narcotics, that sorta thing.
    In your situation, I'd say that retiring from your military gig is the PERFECT time to start a small business of some sort, get a bit of a paper trail going, and then look into the process. There's lots of help here if you ask, but it will come with some snark (aimed at the state, NOT at you!) because, well, it's Maryland.

I get the whole protection for the job thing. I finished the military through the Air Guard so I still have my full time job. Only thing with that is most of my job sites I work at are no weapon type of places. The only place I could even remotely see its use is when I'm directing traffic at fires and motor vehicle accidents. Though that might be a bad thing considering I almost throw a flashlight into at least one passing windshield on a good number of road blocks or detours. I really doubt the fire company wants their fire police armed like real police.

I'll figure something out eventually.

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    His Military service also exempts him from the 17hr training requirements .

We're not maliciously picking on you , this is a hot button topic for the 2A community in Md .

But seriously , much information on the topic is available on the MSI website . Better yet, stop by a gun show , or other event with an MSI booth . and we will gladly explain this and everything gun related in Md to both of you .

Even still better yet , join MSI with a very reasonable membership , and we will assist our members in the W&C process [ MSI does NOT practice law .]

It's all good. I grew up around the fire service and the military so I've got a thick skin and sarcasm to boot. I'll take a look at the MSI website and keep an eye open for the next local event.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You just missed the gun show at the Bel Aire Armory this weekend . Next week end will be the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly , Va . It's a little bit of a hike , but this is a destination type humongous gun show .

Closer the home , it hasn't been announced yet , but MSI traditionally attends the Edgewood American Legion show ( march ? )

The Presidents Day Burger Summit that Road Dawg is putting on will have a MSI representive there in his official capacity . And also a chance to meet many of your fellow MDS'ers , and have enjoyable get together .

Any of the MSI volunteers ( we're All Volunteer , btw ) will be glad to assist you , and I personally will usually be at most events all day on the saturdays . ( I'd say that I'd be the bald beefy guy , but we have to be specific - I'm the one with more hair, and less whiskers than Road Dawg , and we are both less towering than MSI Board Member " MB" .

CrashRecovery

May 26, 2017
    You just missed the gun show at the Bel Aire Armory this weekend . Next week end will be the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly , Va . It's a little bit of a hike , but this is a destination type humongous gun show .

Closer the home , it hasn't been announced yet , but MSI traditionally attends the Edgewood American Legion show ( march ? )

The Presidents Day Burger Summit that Road Dawg is putting on will have a MSI representive there in his official capacity . And also a chance to meet many of your fellow MDS'ers , and have enjoyable get together .

Any of the MSI volunteers ( we're All Volunteer , btw ) will be glad to assist you , and I personally will usually be at most events all day on the saturdays . ( I'd say that I'd be the bald beefy guy , but we have to be specific - I'm the one with more hair, and less whiskers than Road Dawg , and we are both less towering than MSI Board Member " MB" .

If my fund situation was better I would consider the trip next weekend. Right after Christmas the number of confined space standby jobs dwindled to pretty much nothing. Basic 40 hours a week leaves me no "play" money. Once things pick up I'll be able to get out more. I look forward to meeting up some day.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Thought I would briefly share my W&C experience. Ive had my business LLC set up for years, with regular business income, and I have an active clearance. I never bothered to apply because the business permits had restrictions and since I mainly work at government sites I wouldn't be allowed to carry anyway. Sometime around summer 2019 MSP changed the rules to where business permits would all be unrestricted. That's when I decided to try for my W&C. I took the classes in 09/2019 and applied online the very first day that the process switched to the MSP online portal which I think was 10/1/2019. I noted my good and substantial was my clearance and my business. I got the call about 2 weeks later to meet the investigator at the barracks. The interview took about 15 minutes. The problem is that the investigator kept insisting that I show them cash deposits and all my business dealings are direct deposits. She then advised that my application good and substantial could not be both "business owner" and "clearance". I had to pick one or the other. She advised that since I didnt handle cash I switch over to the clearance reason. She wanted a letter from my security department confirming my active level clearance. I told her that was impossible my security department is not going to discuss my clearance with anyone that is not for official US business. So I told her to process it as a business owner and I gave her a breakdown of all my annual business expenses to show money in and out of my business account (no cash all electronic). She accepted it, and said ok you now wait a few months to hear back about the permit. THE VERY NEXT MORNING AT 5:00AM. I get an email from MSP stating they made a decision. I just assumed it was a no because she said it would take months for a response. I figured they looked and saw no cash transactions and denied me. I didn't even bother going to the MSP website to check it. Later that night I was bored and went on the website and sure enough I got approved. The whole process from application to getting a permit in hand was 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom