• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    The SCOTUS has a opportunity to save lives by ruling for strict scrutiny and put the brakes to tyrannical democrat overreach. Its not the LEGAL gun owner they need to worry about its criminals with firearms...why not pass a law 10 years W/no parole or plea for violent crimes committed with a gun..

Because they would be shunned by the cocktail party circuit?

J/k. Sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    The "easy" December opinions have started to come out this week.

Two from Ginsburg, one each from Breyer, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh to date.

My bet is on Roberts writing the majority.

Thomas. I hope Thomas.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    That would be interesting.

Based on previous comments, thomas would probably write a pretty hard core ruling.

Figure he would only be addressing it to the 5th judge in a majority. The same for whoever writes it. Or so I’ve i believe based in what legal folks here have said.

I think the 5th judge of the majority will write it. To temper it, splitting the uprights between the other 8.

Thomas would be blistering, any of the libturds would be blister in the other direction.

The “centerist” swinger will have to do it.

Unless 5 just get totally ticked off at the other 4.

But whaddu I know? I sure ain’t no lawyer.

Thomas. I hope Thomas.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    That would be interesting.

Based on previous comments, thomas would probably write a pretty hard core ruling.

Figure he would only be addressing it to the 5th judge in a majority. The same for whoever writes it. Or so I’ve i believe based in what legal folks here have said.

I think the 5th judge of the majority will write it. To temper it, splitting the uprights between the other 8.

Thomas would be blistering, any of the libturds would be blister in the other direction.

The “centerist” swinger will have to do it.

Unless 5 just get totally ticked off at the other 4.

But whaddu I know? I sure ain’t no lawyer.

I sincerely hope Thomas doesn’t end up writing the dissent.

If they wait until the end of the term to rule on this case... And if that ends up being too narrow to address the cases being held... Can any of those other cases be held over for the next term? What happens to them.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013

If they wait until the end of the term to rule on this case... And if that ends up being too narrow to address the cases being held... Can any of those other cases be held over for the next term? What happens to them.

I don't think there's any rule that they can't. Some of the cases being held now went to conference last term.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

Cases that have not been denied by the end of the term continue to the next term.

They recently issued a per curium/GVR over a case that reached SCOTUS in 2018 and was relisted 15 times. https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-921.html

At least four 2A cases are being held from last term. https://comm2a.org/ot2019/

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

A Thomas dissent would be because the case is ruled moot. Even Ginsburg seemed to indicate the original law was unconstitutional.
    The end of the term seems to be held for the blockbuster cases. I just don’t see an opinion on the mootness doctrine held until then.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Lawyer folks: in a non-moot decision:

who do you see writing the majority? Dissent?

If pro 2a?
    If anti 2a?

Not a lawyer. But if it's NOT moot, I cannot fathom a truly anti-2a ruling in this case. Worst (if not mooted) would be a very narrow ruling in favor of NT transport restrictions being lifted more assertively than the city/state's panicky recent moot-seeking preemptive change to the law. And (again assuming no mootness), we can only go better from there on that ruling. A ruling against the plaintiffs on the merits seems pretty much inconceivable.

Thomas feels pretty strongly about this topic. Maybe too strongly, from Roberts' perspective. Maybe a chance for him to ask Gorsuch to write a majority opinion that will show the public that that crazy western state redneck is a reasonable guy. In a dissent? I can see Sotomayor trying really hard to get to write a scathing progressive position on the unconstitutionality of the constitution.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    “In my view, Heller and McDonald leave little doubt that courts are to assess gun bans and regulations based on text, history, and tradition, not by a balancing test such as strict or intermediate scrutiny.” Judge (now Justice) Kavanaugh dissenting in Heller 11, Oct. 4th 2011.

If not Thomas, then Kavanaugh, I hope.

Regards
    Jack

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Something to share

If you hadn’t already seen it

Attachments

• E61D35B8-4470-42B0-8A88-2BE59CF7601F.jpg
      E61D35B8-4470-42B0-8A88-2BE59CF7601F.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 565

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I thought that a justice is picked by Roberts in a random fashion to pen the opinion and dissent. Others can write a concurrence if they feel more strongly or see it slightly differently.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I thought that a justice is picked by Roberts in a random fashion to pen the opinion and dissent. Others can write a concurrence if they feel more strongly or see it slightly differently.

The CJ picks for the majority or the dissent, whichever he is on, but it isn't random. The goal is to spread the majority opinion load evenly each month, thankfully half the cases on the merits docket are 9-0 or 8-1 slam dunks so it is usually easy to get close to the desired outcome.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I think that Thomas wants, very much, to write a definitive 2A decision. He knows that the opinion that Scalia will be remembered for is Heller. Beside that, everything else is trivial. And Thomas will cheerfully take on the task of writing the decision that builds on the foundations laid down in Heller, because it will be studied for the next century.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads