• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy is on a set of carbide dies? Specifically Lee 9 mm? I haven't had any problems over the years reloading 9 mm and the last batch then I reloaded I had several rounds that my dies would not remove the Bulge at the web. I've probably put 10000+ rounds through the die. I'm wondering if my die hasn't worn out. I know you can't use the Bulge Buster for 9 mm so I'm thinking maybe I need to buy a new sizing die?

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Lee will replace it if it is truly worn out. I doubt you wore them out though. I’ve been using the same 9mm dies since 1990. I have .30-06 dies that my grandfather loaded with since the 60’s.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Watching this thread with interest.

I've personally never heard of a carbide sizing die wearing out. Cracking from making contact with the shellholder, yes. Insert ring falling out, yes. But not wearing out.

I could certainly be wrong.

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy is on a set of carbide dies? Specifically Lee 9 mm? I haven't had any problems over the years reloading 9 mm and the last batch then I reloaded I had several rounds that my dies would not remove the Bulge at the web. I've probably put 10000+ rounds through the die. I'm wondering if my die hasn't worn out. I know you can't use the Bulge Buster for 9 mm so I'm thinking maybe I need to buy a new sizing die?

I would bet I have carbide dies that have 10 times that are are still in spec..
    Since you are a Lee guy get this die and it will bulge bust 9MM.

Lee 9x18 makorov fcd die

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Watching this thread with interest.

I've personally never heard of a carbide sizing die wearing out. Cracking from making contact with the shellholder, yes. Insert ring falling out, yes. But not wearing out.

I could certainly be wrong.

AFAIK, carbide, generally speaking, doesn't wear out. It breaks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never say never , everything has a service life . Hypothetically a commercial reloader , operating a progressive press 24ht a day in shifts could wear the insert out of spec .

One person , or even one family plus their shooting buddies would be unlikely .

Thanks all for your responses. You can disregard this post. I found the problem. I have a 3-hole turret press and I have enough turrets that each set of dies has its own. Apparently somehow both the bullet seater and the powder die became loose and we're not adjusted properly. I found the problem after closer inspection

Lee will replace it if it is truly worn out. I doubt you wore them out though. I’ve been using the same 9mm dies since 1990. I have .30-06 dies that my grandfather loaded with since the 60’s.

Yeah I found the issue. My daughter was over here the other day cleaning and she might have been messing around with it. The 9 mm turret usually stays in one of my presses since that's the caliber that I reload the most. She might have screwing around with it. Both the resizing die and the powder through die where loose

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Yeah, okay you found the problem. I was about ready to start asking some questions. I've loaded lots and lots and lots of range sourced 9x19 brass and haven't worn out my carbide die, nor had a problem with bulges. I have had chambering issues with 10mm and 40 S&W, but they're a bit different of a beast.

Bulge buster dies are bad news. Throw the brass away. It has been compromised at that point. 9x19 is also a tapered case, so I am not sure what a bulge buster die would be doing anyways. If the bottom part of the case (the head) is that distorted, yeah, throw that away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom