• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    what shootings sticks are you guys using with your crossbows for blind setups that you really like?

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    Im using the primos polecat bipod with my crossbow and ground blind setup. it works well and collapses down so i can stick it in a backpack.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Old and shaky guy uses Caldwell Chairpod

I have used various two and one point "pods", but currently using the Caldwell chairpod.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpg
      IMG_1191.jpg
      94.1 KB · Views: 352

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Old thread resurrection.

I plan on shooting a crossbow for the first time ever this spring. My goal is to become proficient enough to hunt with it come fall.

What do I want in the way of shooting stick(s) for ground hunting? Monopod? Bipod? Tripod?

I would think that the tripod would certainly be the most stable, but that the monopod would be much faster and easier to deploy or move quickly and quietly with a minimum of noise and motion. Question if that is correct becomes, is a monopod stable enough to allow me to shoot with required accuracy?

Primos trigger activated? Another brand? Something new that you've tried? Need a special (presumably wider than standard) saddle to accomodate crossbow?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Monopod here. Only for gun hunting. I bow hunt with a compound. If I'm standing, I bush the monopod out in front of me and use my two legs to form the "tripod". Has always worked for me on the longer shots. In a stand, I either lean it against a leg or I lean it against the stand, depending on what stand I'm in. This is my favorite. Super light and fits into my pack(mostly).

Attachments

• 20200308_180919.jpg
      20200308_180919.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 232

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Old thread resurrection.

I plan on shooting a crossbow for the first time ever this spring. My goal is to become proficient enough to hunt with it come fall.

What do I want in the way of shooting stick(s) for ground hunting? Monopod? Bipod? Tripod?

I would think that the tripod would certainly be the most stable, but that the monopod would be much faster and easier to deploy or move quickly and quietly with a minimum of noise and motion. Question if that is correct becomes, is a monopod stable enough to allow me to shoot with required accuracy?

Primos trigger activated? Another brand? Something new that you've tried? Need a special (presumably wider than standard) saddle to accomodate crossbow?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

How do you plan on setting up to hunt? Treestand, ground blind, spot and stalk? The makes a big difference on what you need IMO.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    Have been using a bog tripod. My bo death grip was just delivered today. After playing around with it, ii will probably see blind duty for deer season

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    How do you plan on setting up to hunt? Treestand, ground blind, spot and stalk? The makes a big difference on what you need IMO.

Seated on a portable stool and standing typically while on the ground. Oftentimes I will hunt in or near deadfall if both available and deemed safe. I never hunt a cloth blind.

Also at times hunt both permanent and climbing treestands.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Monopod here. Only for gun hunting. I bow hunt with a compound. If I'm standing, I bush the monopod out in front of me and use my two legs to form the "tripod". Has always worked for me on the longer shots. In a stand, I either lean it against a leg or I lean it against the stand, depending on what stand I'm in. This is my favorite. Super light and fits into my pack(mostly).

Gotcha. What brand is that btw?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Looks like the same thing I have. Either Winchester or Allen?? Got mine at Wallyworld.

Allen. Correct.

The thing I like about it is, if I find it is set too high, I can ease it down by pushing. It's not as fancy as the Primos, but it's about a third of the weight.

...plus, I'm a knuckle dragging construction worker and they're cheap(and so am I).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom