• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    I am starting to handload .45-70 for a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and wanted to ask if anyone has a favorite “by the book” load for:
    1) plinking
    2) medium size game ~ 100 yds (whitetail etc.)

I have the current Nosler & Lee manuals as well as both volumes of Pet Loads. I am aware of the class of loads that are appropriate for modern 1895 rifles. My problem is even in that class of loads there are dozens of published/tested loads.

Just want to see what has worked/works for others out of published loads to at least get a start somewhere. I would be inclined to use H4198 or Unique. I use star line brass and Winchester primers.

Thank you for your consideration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I don’t have a pet load, to tell you. I used to load for 200 meter “ram bash shoots” years ago with my trapdoor. Using 500 grain bullets, I casted from a friend’s mold.
    I’m just now starting to load for my guide gun.
    I’m again using cast bullets, this time 330 grains. From all the research I’ve done, there are a lot of good powders to use. Years ago I used 3031, and that what I’m experimenting with now. I put test loads of different grains together today, using this powder.
    Hopefully I’ll shoot them this weekend and report back to you.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Here’s a picture of one of mine I loaded.
    Cast bullet, using a Lyman 457122 mold. it’s a 330 grain hollow point. Cast bullet are cast of pure lead and powder coated.
    Test loads are in groups of 5 starting at 48 grains of 3031, and going up to 51 grains, in 1/2 grain increments

Attachments

• 983D35DC-78BB-4425-9EFD-5F9EBE8D2A24.jpg
      983D35DC-78BB-4425-9EFD-5F9EBE8D2A24.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 320

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    It would be great to hear the results on the 330gr. I have a trapdoor as well, if you want to share, I’d be curious what your handload data was on the 500gr? Love the powder coat btw!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    It would be great to hear the results on the 330gr. I have a trapdoor as well, if you want to share, I’d be curious what your handload data was on the 500gr? Love the powder coat btw!

Thanks for the kind words, about the powder coating.
    The load I used in the trapdoor was 30 grains of 3031 powder. The bullets were cast using a Lyman 457125 mold. These loads used a Federal large rifle primer. These bullets were lubed with, 50/50 aloe/beeswax. This was before powder coating was being done, I’m sure powder coating would work just fine though.
    From my understanding the load above was a copy of the original load used in the 45-70 500 government load, but using smokeless powder instead of black powder.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    2 of the most knowledgeable ones I know that reload 45-70, 4570inMD and j8064, are taking a break from MDS right now. Notice there haven't been any Hooligan threads lately?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    2 of the most knowledgeable ones I know that reload 45-70, 4570inMD and j8064, are taking a break from MDS right now. Notice there haven't been any Hooligan threads lately?

Now that you mentioned it, I have taken notice
    Those two haven’t been posting. Hope they return soon, as both of them are great guys.

They purchased lead from me, and we had several hours worth of long conversations, about reloading/ muzzleloaders/ and black powder cartridges. It was great! I think we all left there knowing something we didn’t before we all meet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your possible approaches are near infinite from fast pistol powders to the slowest of rifle powders . Part of the beauty of .45-70 , but as noted looking at the entirety leads to information overload . ( If anyone is interested , I have a 300jhp / 2400 load .)

Just as a general observation to make more confusing ; Just because a Marlin can handle Marlin/ late '86 loads , doesn't mean you would be pleased with Trapdoor or Contender pressure loads .

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Biggfoot44;5813632 Just as a general observation to make more confusing ; Just because a Marlin can handle Marlin/ late '86 loads said:
    Your absolutely correct the loads for the “marlin’s” and the Ruger, loose the fun factor really quick, as the recoil can become brutal.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

I don't load this cartridge, but I know a few folks who swear by Reloder7 for their 45-70 loads. I think member byf-43 is big on this powder also. Surprised he hasn't visited this tread.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ve played with several types of powder of 45-70.
    11-12 grains of red dot was ok
    I liked trail boss, the accuracy was decent, almost impossible to double charge. What I didn’t like is the pressures it causes. For the low velocity you get using this powder, the pressure is high. I didn’t use it much, as I felt other powders, were better suited.
    H4895 and 3031 have given me the best results so far, of any powder I’ve used. I know a lot of people swear that H4198 and Varget works wonderfully for them. Something I’m going to try in the future, although Varget, can be hard to find.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    Brickman301 - thank you, you have been super helpful and I am impressed with the lead smelting you and your brother have posted in your separate post!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    300gr JHP with 32gr 2400 .

I discovered this as a * T/C Contender * specific load , it is warmer than anything credible for Trapdoor . Contender loads are generally considered to be a hair warmer than Trapdoor , but quite a bit below Marlin/ late '86 loads . Take it with a grain of salt , but I have occasionally seen statements that late H&R / NEF can handle Contender loads .

And in completely meaningless testing , this load with a R-P 300gr jhp , fired from Ruger No 3 will completely penetrate a 10-12in diameter live pine tree .

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I don't load this cartridge, but I know a few folks who swear by Reloder7 for their 45-70 loads. I think member byf-43 is big on this powder also. Surprised he hasn't visited this tread.

Just seeing this thread.

Unc, you're 100 percent correct.

LOVE Reloader 7 in the .45-70!!!!!!!!!!

OP, I load for the 1895G, also.
    I have an 1895CB and 1895CBA, along with a beautiful Shiloh Sharps #3 Sporter. I haven't fired any of these last three listed.

My 1895G LOVES the following load:

Winchester brass.
    Winchester LR primer.
    40.0 Grains of Reloader 7.
    Cast Performance 405 gr WLNGC boolits.
    This load runs right at 1660 fps.

The load is from Real guns dot com and is listed as minimum load.

I've loaded 42.5 grains, which is a "mid-load" according to their minimum and maximum loads.

44.0 grains is listed as MAXIMUM for this powder/bullet combination, and I'll be brutally honest.............. I want NO PARTS of that maximum load!!!

The 42.5 grain load KILLS on the front-end, and will MAIM you, on the back end!!!!
    (I fired FIVE of these, and I was DONE.)
    Sidenote - I broke my neck several years ago, and my doctors told that I can shoot whatever I want, as long as it doesn't hurt. The "hurt" is the part that could cause 'issues' with the apparatus that's been implanted in my neck. :)

Reloader 7, from what I have been reading, gives the best velocity to chamber pressure results.
    (Read as lowest chamber pressures listed for that boolit.)

That 40.0 grain load is the ONLY load I use in my "G".

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpg
      IMG_2879.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 202

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Here’s a picture of one of mine I loaded.
    Cast bullet, using a Lyman 457122 mold. it’s a 330 grain hollow point. Cast bullet are cast of pure lead and powder coated.
    Test loads are in groups of 5 starting at 48 grains of 3031, and going up to 51 grains, in 1/2 grain increments

Got a chance to shoot some of these loads over the weekend. The lowest powder charge I actually loaded was 48.5 grains of 3031 powder. This load was the most accurate, and has a average muzzle velocity of 1,671 FPS. The 5 shot group at 50 yards from the bench, was 3/4”. I’m casting my bullets from pure lead, so they run a little heavy at 341 grains. As the powder charges went up, the groups, opened up. At 50 grains, or more of 3031 powder, the recoil, became harsh. I will be making some more test loads this week of lighter charges of the same powder, hopefully to find a nice blend of accuracy, velocity, and recoil. I’ll post here again, after I shoot these next test loads.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I shoot my '86 from 100 yds up to 300 yds and use the following, use at your own risk:

Blackhorn 209 39 Gr
    CCI primers
    Lasercast 405 Gr
    Starline brass

or if you can find (discontinued)
    IMR 4759SR 24.5 Gr
    CCI primers
    0.3 over powder card
    Cream of wheat 14.5 Gr
    Lasercast 405 Gr
    Starline brass

Good Luck

Gunner220

Jul 24, 2012
    Plinkers

I shoot a Marlin Cowboy and tend to shoot plinkers more than full charge loads. Have had good luck with 405gr cast bullets over Unique. Charges between 10-11 grains provide good accuracy and still let you know you're shooting a big bore. One caveat, I use P Wads over the pistol powders so that the relatively small charge stays in place over the primer.

Last edited:

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I shoot a Marlin Cowboy and tend to shoot plinkers more than full charge loads. Have had good luck with 405gr cast bullets over Unique. Charges between 10-11 grains provide good accuracy and still let you know you're shooting a big bore. One caveat, I use P Wads over the pistol powders so that the relatively small charge stays in place over the primer.

Yeah, that's the reason for the over powder wad and the cream of wheat, to keep the powder near the primer flame.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is a soft shooting round with pistol powder

e7e1eacf64e56c0cea3cfaf5df564260.jpg

642094c95210888d9bae9321457a3e46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics